Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on repair costs

Options
  • 31-03-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

What do you think of this price? €95 for a RROD with 5-6 days needed for repair. Seems a bit much to me but this person is the only one that I know of repairing 360s in Cork city. It seems a bit much as I could go over to Cash Converters and get a Slim for €220. What do you guys think about it? My Xbox died about a week ago as I was about to start a Call of Duty session. I dont play much but would still like to have the option when I get time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I would buy a slim as a fix is never a fix, it is gonna break again. 100% fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭chubbyathy

Yep I agreee ye can get it fixed but will only prolong it for few months better off buy a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

A console reballed or reflowed properly should be 100% again aslong as there was no damage done to it beforehand.
    But 95 is a rip off considering you can get a used slim console on its own for less.

And at this point in the consoles life cycle is it worth getting a new one or repairing it ?
    The new consoles will be out by the holidays ..surely you can go without an xbox for a few months ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

My Falcon that was RROD repaired nearly five years ago would disagree :) Like everything, it all depends on how its fixed. You say a fix is never a fix, I'd say a fix doesn't always mean a proper fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Barbarian25

I have had the xbox for a good while, since the summer after they came out, prob 2006, so its fairly old in console terms. I didnt realise the 720 were coming out this year, should have known they would. I will start saving up for one of them and just get my original xbox back from my sister instead. I just hope it wont be too pricy when its released, might opt for a slim instead when the price drops :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

i fixed my rrod with a kit I bought for 20 euro on ebay.
    if I can repair it anybody can.
    I used a youtube video to follow the repair
    removing the parts from the xbox was the hard part
    I used the silicon paste.
    no problems since 2 years later
    clap on the back to me
    I fixed someone else's console for 50 euro as well.
    95 is way too much and 4-5 days is way too long.
    took me 2 hours to repair the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

murphyaii wrote: »
    i fixed my rrod with a kit I bought for 20 euro on ebay.
    if I can repair it anybody can.
    I used a youtube video to follow the repair
    removing the parts from the xbox was the hard part
    I used the silicon paste.
    no problems since 2 years later
    clap on the back to me
    I fixed someone else's console for 50 euro as well.
    95 is way too much and 4-5 days is way too long.
    took me 2 hours to repair the first time

I reckon the OP either got sorted by now or left it, it has been 5 months. An RROD kit from ebay is not a fix, it's a joke.

Why is it a joke? Unreliable source or coz you have to do it yourself?

The most common reason for a RROD is because of a solder joint breaking under the GPU or some other component. It's caused by the use of lead-free solder and poor manufacturing processes. The only proper fixes are to either reflow the solder (heat up the solder until it becomes molten again, thus sealing the joint that was cracked) or a reball which removes the lead-free solder in favour of lead solder which is more reliable.

The "fix" where you take off the X-clamps that hold the heatsinks onto the CPU/GPU and replace them with screws & better thermal paste is a hack. If it works at all it's working because when you tighten the screws you're putting pressure on the CPU/GPU, squashing the micrometer gap of the broken solder joint and forcing it to make contact again. The stress of the squash will most likely end up causing another joint to split or the board to flex when warm which will cause a split. Then there's the whole "towel trick" and other random repairs people say they're using; they are all jokes.

Two fixes really - reflow or reball with the reball being better than a reflow since it removes the crap lead-free solder. You can get reballs done for €45-€60 and pick up second hand or new consoles for €130, €95 is robbery but you probably already got that.

• Advertisement

A reball would be my first choice but I dont know of anyone in this area doing it. One guy i contacted and asked which method he used to fix it told me he is "running a business not a helpline" which told me he didnt know what he was talking about.

What a nice guy - have you thought about posting the console? It's €8 each way anywhere in Ireland. Your reballer might even cut you a small deal to save on the return postage if they're nice :)

Advertisement