Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Marking Scheme

• 31-03-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have any good tips on how best to study economics?
    It is one of the easier subjects and I got high grades in every class test since the start of fifth year however this dropped to a B3 in the mocks. :(
    I just find that there is so much to learn and I found myself getting the competition chapters mixed up.
    Also, to get a higher grade do your answers need to be pretty much verbatim to the marking scheme or can it be worded alternately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I just learn from the marking schemes, I don't use the textbook. Know the micro inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I'd recommend doing q 7 & 8 as they're usually commen sense with a small bit of economic thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    I'd recommend doing q 7 & 8 as they're usually commen sense with a small bit of economic thinking

Our teacher said to pretty much stay away from all macro q's as there a bit 'waffly' and difficult to get full marks in

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

thelad95 wrote: »
    Our teacher said to pretty much stay away from all macro q's as there a bit 'waffly' and difficult to get full marks in

I'd say the opposite tbh. They're ones that once your answer is relevant you'll get the marks. Whereas q 1,2 etc need to be more or less what's on the marking scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

thelad95 wrote: »

Really? I'd say the opposite (like the above poster!). Topics like the EU are fairly easy and full marks is easily achieved. Questions that may crop up there are ones like ''Why is Ireland a good location for MNCs?'' - Questions that are kind of common sense and even if you hadn't studied economics would have had an idea of. Yes, I'd recommend doing the Market Structures Q (if you prepared it) and FOP Q (again, if prepared). They are two guaranteed questions. If Micro is your thing, then the supply/demand question may suit you. But I wouldn't rule out macro at all. Usually the Q7/Q8 (regarding the EU and sometimes LDCs) is a relatively straight forward question. It'd be no harm to give the chapter a skim, may take just an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

You need to follow the marking scheme exactly.The question i thought was my best - the market structures ,was my lowest marked in the mocks , i thought i knew that really well and i still didn't score highly in it , while one question i felt so-so about i did well in ,economics can be like that. I agree with the poster above you should try a macro question you might not normally do , it could be easier than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Also keep in mind , most people just stick to the micro questions -this could mean that you are marked harshly on them , there is more competiton.

Advertisement