Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many centuries has religion held back scientific progress?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Allow me to correct you with a cornerstone tenet of science - correlation is not causation unless proven so. I await your proof.
    Proof of what?

You want me to prove something I never claimed to be true?

Are you insane?
    If you believe it and are incapable of providing supporting evidence it is an article of faith, no more.
    I am capable of defending my position using reason and logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Seachmall wrote: »
    Proof of what?

You want me to prove something I never claimed to be true?

Are you retracting your claim about stem cell research now?

Are you retracting your claim about stem cell research now?

My claim that I believe it to be true based on reason and logic or the claim you're ascribing to me that I'm asserting it to be true without evidence?

Claims of factuality require evidence.

Beliefs, at the very least, require sound reason and logic.

Beliefs are the necessary precursors to knowledge. We're entitled to hold them without evidence as long they are of sound reason and logic (and therefore lend themselves to the possibility of being true). When we collect evidence they become knowledge and then we can assert them.

You seem to be assuming I'm skipping a step. Your crusade to identify a hypocrisy in my position fails with this assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

To go back to the original points.

1) the scientific revolution occurred once and once only, in Christian Europe and largely amongst believers.
    2) it didn't happen in China, Japan etc. neither Confucianism or Buddihism are religions in the Abrahamic sense, more or less they are just philosophical systems.
    3) The collapse of the Roman Empire ended literacy. Without the church literacy would have never have been resurrected in the late middle ages nor would Latin become the lingus Franca.
    4) all universities in Europe started as theological universities, founded by the Catholic Church. You needed mathematics to graduate. Priests were the only mathematicans of their day.
    5) roger Bacon, a fransciscan, is considered the First Scientist, other priests at the time advanced optics etc. Occam was a contemporary. These guys were rationalists ( not all priests were so rational of course)
    6) priests, vicars, catholic apologists, & parsons who have contributed major theories include Bayes, Boole, Faraday, George le Maitre, Maxwell, Dalton, Descartes, Pascal and many more.

Quite simply we wouldn't have the modern world without the Western Christian church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Airitech wrote: »
    That's more an ethical issue than just a religious one. Religion is bound to come down on one side of that argument but they are not alone in that.

The ethial concerns about stem cell have largely been resolved by progress - they no longer need to harvest them from aborted fetuses - which is what set the religious types against it the first place. IF it had not been for that element the religious types would not have even notice the subject. However now that it has been labelled "evil" the regliious types maintain their opposition

To go back to the original points.

1) the scientific revolution occurred once and once only, in Christian Europe and largely amongst believers.
    2) it didn't happen in China, Japan etc. neither Confucianism or Buddihism are religions in the Abrahamic sense, more or less they are just philosophical systems.
    3) The collapse of the Roman Empire ended literacy. Without the church literacy would have never have been resurrected in the late middle ages nor would Latin become the lingus Franca.
    4) all universities in Europe started as theological universities, founded by the Catholic Church. You needed mathematics to graduate. Priests were the only mathematicans of their day.
    5) roger Bacon, a fransciscan, is considered the First Scientist, other priests at the time advanced optics etc. Occam was a contemporary. These guys were rationalists ( not all priests were so rational of course)
    6) priests, vicars, catholic apologists, & parsons who have contributed major theories include Bayes, Boole, Faraday, George le Maitre, Maxwell, Dalton, Descartes, Pascal and many more.

Quite simply we wouldn't have the modern world without the Western Christian church.

You forgot Newton - he was big into deciphering the Bible for th esecrets of alchemy

You forgot Newton - he was big into deciphering the Bible for th esecrets of alchemy

He may not have been a Christian. Seems he was a deist, which is a belief in a non interfering God. Also Darwin was a mild believer. I listed just priests or Christian apologists ie Descartes and Pascal offered ontological proofs for the existance of God. We would include everybody if we included believers before the 20th century, I am including the most Christian of philosopher scientists or actual priests. And I missed a few.

He may not have been a Christian. Seems he was a deist, which is a belief in a non interfering God. Also Darwin was a mild believer. I listed just priests or Christian apologists ie Descartes and Pascal offered ontological proofs for the existance of God. We would include everybody if we included believers before the 20th century, I am including the most Christian of philosopher scientists or actual priests. And I missed a few.

Well one wonders did they actually believe or were they just towing the line so as not to bring trouble on themselves ?

• Advertisement

I think with the history of the Church promoting science from Christian scientists and mathematicians while trying to suppress science from other religions (and their own religion when it contradicted them) it's fairly clear that science was not pursued entirely for intellectual achievement and advancement but instead was used more as a form of propaganda.

Something to boast about when it's on our side, something to demonize when it's not.

It was a great platform for science while simultaneously being a fierce enemy.
    Also Darwin was a mild believer.
    He was a firm believer at the start of his travels but as he got older his faith faded. He died an agnostic with no religious inclinations as far as I'm aware.

Well one wonders did they actually believe or were they just towing the line so as not to bring trouble on themselves ?

The very reason I included strong believers and priests was to exclude people who were going along with the line. Descartes and pascal would not have been persecuted if they hadnt written their pro Christian philosophies, but just stayed with the maths; nor did Maxwell need to become a Presbyterian minister - He choose to.

In any case if Christianity were so anti-science their contributions couldn't exist with their faith.

The very reason I included strong believers and priests was to exclude people who were going along with the line. Descartes and pascal would not have been persecuted if they hadnt written their pro Christian philosophies, but just stayed with the maths; nor did Maxwell need to become a Presbyterian minister - He choose to.

In any case if Christianity were so anti-science their contributions couldn't exist with their faith.

Yes but wasn't Descartes for example obliged to write his Philosophical stuff in order for the Church to let him work on anatomy ?? There was a political deal behind the so called Cartesian split. Descartes wanted to study anatomy - the Church would only let him do it if he backed up the Church belief in certain regards i.e. saying the body and the mind/soul were completely separate. This had all kinds of negative influence on medicine/neurology/psychiatry and the precursors until very modern times. (Disclaimer - this is a story I've heard numerous times - however I've yet to find a source so if wrong correct me)

Or Islam.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2002/sep/05/research.science2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

How has religion held back science? There's an argument to be made for it in this century but in centuries past religion has benefited science. Monasteries used to be akin to universities back in the day. The father of genetics was himself a monk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

In before philolo- Oh, yeah. Carry on folks, nobody can predict where this thread will go any more.

Sarky wrote: »
    In before philolo- Oh, yeah. Carry on folks, nobody can predict where this thread will go any more.

Is phil gone ?

Is phil gone ?

Closed his account a while back.

I'm anticipating a second third coming though.

He never should have changed his name from Jakkass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

sxt wrote: »
    How many anti scientific centuries were there?

You have your answer.
    Its located deep in the Amazonian forest.
    A undiscovered tribe, or perhaps a newly discovered tribe, with no religious ties at all for centuries.
    Check out their technology man, they had jungle sat nav centuries before the rest of us, the were using CocuntBook for keeping in touch with the cannibals up the basin 100 years before Zuckerberg was born and have a health system that the US is modelling Medicaid on...

there were no anti-scientific centuries only anti religous posters in this century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Things in After Hours must be even worse than I thought if even he got bored sh1tless with the usual suspects' total obsession with starting religion themed threads here. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

just keep an eye out for a god-botherer on a thread with nothing to do with religion:pac:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Things in After Hours must be even worse than I thought if even he got bored sh1tless with the usual suspects' total obsession with starting religion themed threads here. :eek:

I suspect the only reason he closed his account is that he has been catapulted into theological doubt and will soon rejoin with the username "DawkinsFan01".

It's was inevitable from day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I suspect the only reason he closed his account is that he has been catapulted into theological doubt and will soon rejoin with the username "DawkinsFan01".

I didn' agree with the man always,but there's no need to be kicking his effigy, just seems childish and pointless.

Anyhow, found out recently that the bulletproof vest was created by a polish catholic priest.

crockholm wrote: »
    I didn' agree with the man always,but there's no need to be kicking his effigy, just seems childish and pointless.

He knows I've no problems with him, and I've told him more than once that I've respect for him despite our disagreements.

Just a bit of banter.

I think "bored sh1tless" is more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Every thread in here is is anti religion. There is absolutely no respect for anyone that has beliefs of any kind.

Chop Chop wrote: »
    Every thread in here is is anti religion. There is absolutely no respect for anyone that has beliefs of any kind.

Ssssshhh, you'll start them off again.:P

runs away screaming

Chop Chop wrote: »

I think how this thread has developed indicates that people here are more than happy to acknowledge those areas where religions have contributed to humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Nonsense, they're more persecuted now than they've ever been. Look at all those militant atheists ganging up on the poor souls and forcing them not to believe whatever they like as long as it doesn't impact others.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    Nonsense, they're more persecuted now than they've ever been. Look at all those militant atheists boring the tits off people in after hours

fyp

fyp

Have you considered praying to God to relieve your paranoia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Ewww.

I don't like how the secularisation of society, which I tend to be in favour of, also seems to involve not acknowledging the extraordinary influence the various Christian faiths have had on the development of society, especially in Western Europe. It's so short-sighted. And - dare I say it - puritanical. Or the flippant dismissal of spiritualism as a concept in general.

Advertisement