Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

martin o neil for ireland?

• 31-03-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

thread was bound to happen at some stage given the sacking recently by sunderland, so might as well get the ball rolling.

every time a replacement for trap conversation comes up o neil's name isnt usually far behind. personally he is in my top three choices and would be nice to have an irishman back at the helm, i know you cant keep everyone happy no matter who you pick but could this be the appointment we've all been waiting for -especially before we play england:D

btw we all know traps contract obligations etc and that the f.a.i. are supposedly backing him, but that aside could they now do a u-turn given the recent developments..........................

would you install martin o neil as ireland manager? 194 votes

yes, immediately
    5% 10 votes
    no, not at this time
    41% 81 votes
    not yet, maybe after the qualifiers
    19% 38 votes
    no never, give me _________ instead.
    33% 65 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dare say if he got the job, we'd see a very similar brand of football on display to what we've grown used to under Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

No way. I couldn't stick the sight of Conor Sammon up front on his own and Shane Long at right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dare say if he got the job, we'd see a very similar brand of football on display to what we've grown used to under Trap.

really? i wouldnt have thought we'd see that brand of football ever again under anybody except maybe in some football archive videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Where's the 'Eh? Have you followed his managerial career in the last decade?' option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

At least if O'Neill was the manager he might actually go and watch games and I assume the players would respect him a lot more than Trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Caveman1 wrote: »
    At least if O'Neill was the manager he might actually go and watch games and I assume the players would respect him a lot more than Trap.

Like him more, perhaps, but there are few men in football worthy of more respect than Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One day too early OP

Tomorrow is April fools day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

No. he is a terrible manager. his career is going downhill the last few years and his style of football leaves a lot to be desired. ya he might go to games but doesn't mean he'll be any better than the current dinosaur. id rather a Chris Eughton or Brian Kerr than o Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm a Trap hater, but would rather Trap over O' Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

No. he is a terrible manager. his career is going downhill the last few years and his style of football leaves a lot to be desired. ya he might go to games but doesn't mean he'll be any better than the current dinosaur. id rather a Chris Eughton or Brian Kerr than o Neill

Yeah, I'd love to know how that would work out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He can get results in the short term, maybe bring him in so he can get us to Brazil, then get a proper manager in....that term excludes Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He can get results in the short term, maybe bring him in so he can get us to Brazil, then get a proper manager in....that term excludes Brian Kerr.

what's with Kerr hatred. he comes across quite knowledgeable on the radio, alright he made a ****e of it in the past but Id take him ahead of o Neill any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

O'Neils career is pathetic in comparison to Traps, it would be a monumental downgrade. Also he'd somehow find someway around the you cant play senior international for two countries and call up Heskey (Irish greatgrandad) to lead the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

donrt know what happened the poll btw folks there are 3 blank options that just appeared with a vote each on them dont know where they cam from maybe a mod can fix??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I think any managers record we get in would be pathetic compared to Traps, My choice would be McCarthy, McDermott and Keane:eek: Runs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Rekop dog wrote: »
    O'Neils career is pathetic in comparison to Traps, it would be a monumental downgrade. Also he'd somehow find someway around the you cant play senior international for two countries and call up Heskey (Irish greatgrandad) to lead the line.
    Overall yes, but Trap has shown his trophies won in the 70's and 80's are pretty much irrelevant as he's such a shít manager now, so why you keep mentioning them as if they carry a whole lot of weight these days is, well, puzzling.

I don't think O'Neill is a great manager, but he'd be a huge improvement on Trap as he'd go to games, pick his best players more, not fall out with players as much, not be a total dinosaur when it comes to tactics etc.

Obviously all of this says more about Trap than O'Neill though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Really hope he isn't offered the job, I'd say he would jump at the job. Chris Hughton is the manager I'd like to be offered the job, might not accept it but should be offered it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

A long ball merchant is not what Ireland deserve as a manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I really don't get the level of anti-MON attitude on this site at times.

Criticisms that have been leveled at MON regarding spending on players wages etc. are understandable criticisms, but that wouldn't apply if he ever became manager of Ireland. Criticisms relating to his style don't stand up if he was offered the Ireland job either, he's not simply a long ball merchant, he will utilise skillful players like Hoolahan if they are available to him.

It's all purely hypothetical, but I think anyone who knows anything about football would see that O'Neill would be a good fit for the Ireland number should he ever be offered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Good God no! O'Neill is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The reason I'd want MON involved in the Irish setup would be for his motivational skills but I think they are on the wane. Also I dont think how he manages club players would work at international level. His tactics would suit Ireland given the technical ability of most of the squad and the fact that most of our players play in sides that employ direct/counter attacking football.

I'd like to see the back of Trap but I wouldnt be jumping at the chance to have O'Neill either. Ideally Chris Hughton should have first refusal at the next given opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When Trap does go we should bring back Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Blatter wrote: »
    Overall yes, but Trap has shown his trophies won in the 70's and 80's are pretty much irrelevant as he's such a shít manager now, so why you keep mentioning them as if they carry a whole lot of weight these days is, well, puzzling.

I don't think O'Neill is a great manager, but he'd be a huge improvement on Trap as he'd go to games, pick his best players more, not fall out with players as much, not be a total dinosaur when it comes to tactics etc.

Obviously all of this says more about Trap than O'Neill though.

Trap is not a **** manager. Hr got us to the euros and nearly the world cup with a limited team. When we got to the euros we lost to three teams that we expected to lose to. Two finalists and Croatia would have made a semi final IMO. If we got another difficult playoff and didn't qualify for the euros not near as much animosity would be shown towards him. And by the way O Neills tactics for Sunderland are as boring and more ****e than traps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Trap is not a **** manager. Hr got us to the euros and nearly the world cup with a limited team. When we got to the euros we lost to three teams that we expected to lose to. Two finalists and Croatia would have made a semi final IMO. If we got another difficult playoff and didn't qualify for the euros not near as much animosity would be shown towards him. And by the way O Neills tactics for Sunderland are as boring and more ****e than traps

Getting to the Euros was not a great achievement. Slovakia imploded and Armenia were the only other realistic challengers for 2nd in the group and then we drew Estonia in the play off.

Dempsey wrote: »
    The reason I'd want MON involved in the Irish setup would be for his motivational skills but I think they are on the wane. Also I dont think how he manages club players would work at international level. His tactics would suit Ireland given the technical ability of most of the squad and the fact that most of our players play in sides that employ direct/counter attacking football.

I'd like to see the back of Trap but I wouldnt be jumping at the chance to have O'Neill either. Ideally Chris Hughton should have first refusal at the next given opportunity.

There would be no first refusal for Chris Hughton if they were serious about approaching O'Neill. This is Martin O'Neill we are talking about here - one of the very best motivational managers in recent decades.

He's pushing on a bit, but is not too old - like Trap is. In fact he is the right age for managing at international level. With less games to prepare for etc., his motivational skills would work perfectly in the international game. This idea of him being a long ball merchant that some clowns around here are saying is nonsense btw, his teams at their best were far more than long ball teams. You're a Celtic fan, you know all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I said YES, only because I'd like to see Trap out and don't really give a flying f who takes over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lennonist wrote: »
    There would be no first refusal for Chris Hughton if they were serious about approaching O'Neill. This is Martin O'Neill we are talking about here - one of the very best motivational managers in recent decades.

He's pushing on a bit, but is not too old - like Trap is. In fact he is the right age for managing at international level. With less games to prepare for etc., his motivational skills would work perfectly in the international game. This idea of him being a long ball merchant that some clowns around here are saying is nonsense btw, his teams at their best were far more than long ball teams. You're a Celtic fan, you know all this.

I am guessing you are too?....so all of this would have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

A long ball merchant is not what Ireland deserve as a manager

Sounds like we (O'Neill & the current squad setup) are well suits so :mad:

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I am guessing you are too?....so all of this would have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Well you can take this with a pinch of salt; There was a time (during his time at Celtic) when he was being linked with all the big jobs in England. Man United were linked with him, but Ferguson never left his job. He was actually offered the Leeds job - which was a big job at the time - before he went to Celtic. Liverpool definitely chased him and wanted him, he turned them down for family reasons - his wife was ill at the time.

All of that is a few years ago, but this is international management we are talking about. The international game suits experienced managers that no longer want to do the day to day stuff at club level - and so long as they are not too old like Trap is O'Neill fits the bill there.

Ireland would do very well to get Martin O'Neill to mange the national team. The FAI should be looking into the possibility of getting him in for when Trap leaves at the end of this campaign. They should have him lined up and ready to step in and should make him their number 1 target for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

McDermot > O' Neil, we'd stay at the same level if O' Neil took over whereas McDermot would actually try to get the team to play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Hell no. He is awful imo. He values hard work far too much and skill far too little and his teams end up chasing their own tails as a result. If he can't make a decent team out of Sunderland then he wouldn't be able to do it with Ireland either.

Houghton is somebody I would be interested in, although he probably won't want to leave Norwich, especially if he's getting better players in the summer. Houghton has set up his team defensively, but he seems to have a good eye for a player and all the tactics have a clear purpose and logical direction. So I'd be willing to give him a try.

Never ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good craic on here by times. Trapp is clueless, backwards and playing rigid negative football so...let's get rid and bring in O'Neill! Ah yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

It'd be a sideways move but I can't imagine better managers taking the job so he'd have to be one of the best options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Just how short are people's memories?
    MON would be a fine appointment as next Ireland manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Cue Dunphy's calls that we establish a consultancy to make sure we get the main man for job, Martin O'Neil. He's a bad manager but for Ireland he's prob as high we can hope for. Be the exact same football we see under Trap.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Hell no. He is awful imo. He values hard work far too much and skill far too little and his teams end up chasing their own tails as a result. If he can't make a decent team out of Sunderland then he wouldn't be able to do it with Ireland either.

Houghton is somebody I would be interested in, although he probably won't want to leave Norwich, especially if he's getting better players in the summer. Houghton has set up his team defensively, but he seems to have a good eye for a player and all the tactics have a clear purpose and logical direction. So I'd be willing to give him a try.

And Wes would finally get a run out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Maybe after the qualifiers but depends on who else is on the list.

Nunu wrote: »

I think most of them are on the wind up at this stage. They must be, they couldn't be that clueless about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

donrt know what happened the poll btw folks there are 3 blank options that just appeared with a vote each on them dont know where they cam from maybe a mod can fix??

I voted blank, it made more sense :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

"Heart" doesn't cut it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nunu wrote: »

Why, when was the last time MON was anything like a good manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Martin O'Neill does not have the same philosophy as Trap, anyone who says that he does obviously doesn't watch football.

He doesn't encourage sparkling expansive football no, but his teams have a high workrate and also press opposition (something Trap's teams don't). He is also capable of playing with 2 strikers or also a man just off the main striker, 5 man midfield etc.....

I'd have no problem if Ireland are an unimaginative outfit, but we are tight at the back and mobile in midfield, and also with a willingness to play to our players strengths.

Anyone hoping for expansive football is having a laugh.

The fanbase really echo Brady and Dunphy pretty much. Some follow Brady's reasoning that we are just not up to much, others say we have the players to win with style ala Dunphy. The truth lies somewhere in between.

Personally, I think we can be tighter, more flexible in player selection and more mobile in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Pro. F wrote: »
    Why, when was the last time MON was anything like a good manager?

It's a real bugbear of mine how readily players and managers are written off in football. Happens all the time. MON has punched above his weight literally all through his career and has a record he can very proud of. Villa before Sunderland, he did a fine job there didnt he? Don't remember any relegation worries and usually were involved in fight for European places going into the final weeks.

I think he'd actually be a perfect fit for the Ireland job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Not in a month of Sundays. Football has moved on in the last ten years and it has left his style of play/management behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

If Dunphy is in favour of him taking over then thats good enough for me (and Eamo for at least 6/8 games anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I predict a late surge for options #5 to #9.

Martin O'Neill does not have the same philosophy as Trap, anyone who says that he does obviously doesn't watch football.

He doesn't encourage sparkling expansive football no, but his teams have a high workrate and also press opposition (something Trap's teams don't). He is also capable of playing with 2 strikers or also a man just off the main striker, 5 man midfield etc.....

I'd have no problem if Ireland are an unimaginative outfit, but we are tight at the back and mobile in midfield, and also with a willingness to play to our players strengths.

Anyone hoping for expansive football is having a laugh.

The fanbase really echo Brady and Dunphy pretty much. Some follow Brady's reasoning that we are just not up to much, others say we have the players to win with style ala Dunphy. The truth lies somewhere in between.

Personally, I think we can be tighter, more flexible in player selection and more mobile in midfield.

Good post, we would be lucky to get O'Neill. He'd be a perfect fit for the job. Some of the posters here are living in cloud cuckoo land, or are just havin a cod.

Martin for Ireland?

Fúck off Martin.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Be the exact same football we see under Trap.

You don't watch much football, do you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement