Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law in UCD?

Options
  • 31-03-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Is anyone doing law/has done law in UCD? Do you enjoy it? Is it hard? Have you gotten work at the end of your degree or are you in further study? What is the standard of teaching like in UCD law?
    Has anyone here done law as a mature student? Is it hard to get a place in law as a mature student?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

Can I just throw in there as well, can you go abroad in third year and is it possible to do electives as part of UCD horizons?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I don't do Law, but yeah, you can go abroad in 3rd Year, and yes, you can do up to 2 modules a year for 4 years in electives.
    As far as I know the standard of the Law degree in UCD is pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

Hi everyone,
    Is anyone doing law/has done law in UCD? Do you enjoy it? Is it hard? Have you gotten work at the end of your degree or are you in further study? What is the standard of teaching like in UCD law?
    Has anyone here done law as a mature student? Is it hard to get a place in law as a mature student?

Thank you

If you find it interesting it won't be hard and from once you go to lectures it shouldn't be too difficult as you'll have the material to learn from.

There's high unemployment in jobs like solicitors and barristers at the moment in Ireland, a law degree on its own can be used for other jobs. Perhaps if you paired it with some of the law with or BNL you may have more career prospects.

Law in UCD is probably the best in Ireland. The lecturers are excellent.

Unsure about mature students but if your applying through the CAO then clearly its down to leaving cert results.

You can choose an elective per semester.
    Also third year international exchange is open to students with GPAs over approx. 3.1. The Unis available are decided annually and are on the UCD / Qualifax website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I did a law elective a few years ago and it was quite the interesting experience... not sure if the lecturer in question is still there, but when I was doing constitutional law he would put up pictures on every second slide and one day when we were doing a case about abortion he put up a cute picture of a cute little fat baby playing in a box :P Funny guy, and it actually did help when recalling cases in the exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Siuin wrote: »
    I did a law elective a few years ago and it was quite the interesting experience... not sure if the lecturer in question is still there, but when I was doing constitutional law he would put up pictures on every second slide and one day when we were doing a case about abortion he put up a cute picture of a cute little fat baby playing in a box :P Funny guy, and it actually did help when recalling cases in the exams!

That'd be John O'Dowd, he still lectures in UCD alright.

I think the funniest one of those slides was this one. It comes up, and without breaking tone even the slightest he goes "This is an orgy sofa"

orgy_sofa_and_ottoman.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

errlloyd wrote: »
    That'd be John O'Dowd, he still lectures in UCD alright.

I think the funniest one of those slides was this one. It comes up, and without breaking tone even the slightest he goes "This is an orgy sofa"

He's a brilliant lecturer, we've had him a few times this year for constitutional. It is very interesting to say the least to see him discussing the inner workings of the female reproductive organ on the topic of the right to life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Ah, John O'Dowd. Some man for one man!

Overall, the standard of teaching in the law faculty is pretty good. You'll get the odd dud, but the vast majority of lecturers and tutors are decent. The work isn't too difficult, but it really pays off to keep on top of the reading (impossible to do it all IMO, but try do some of it). The tutorials are a massive help also, as some concepts can be difficult to grasp initially.

Overall, I feel like I'll have a respectable degree when I graduate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭I love angels

That is very helpful information. Thank you for your replies.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ally96

I'm considering doing the BCL/Maitrise course offered in UCD. The whole two years abroad aspect sounds appealing. Does anyone have any idea as to how much work is involved? They say its 'highly intensive' on their website, and indeed it must be pretty intensive it involves cramming effectively 2 degrees into the space of four years. Would it involve ****loads of work and result in missing out on fun college life?!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

It is a very intensive course that requires you to not only pick up a second language in the duration of the course, but also learn another legal system through that language. I know several people in Commerce & French who were told to avoid picking law modules when studying abroad as they are very technical and difficult. That said, if you're very good at French and genuinely want to learn their legal system and study there it's an incredible degree. It allows you to study 2 legal systems, one based on Common Law (Irish) and one based on Civil Law (French)

The intensity of the course is generally used as a scapegoat for "missing out on the fun". If you treat college like a 9-5 job and allow yourself 2 days off a week, go out on the nights where you're off the next day, you'll be putting in more work than that vast majority of your class and heading out just as much as them. That doesn't sound that difficult when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

ally96 wrote: »
    I'm considering doing the BCL/Maitrise course offered in UCD. The whole two years abroad aspect sounds appealing. Does anyone have any idea as to how much work is involved? They say its 'highly intensive' on their website, and indeed it must be pretty intensive it involves cramming effectively 2 degrees into the space of four years. Would it involve ****loads of work and result in missing out on fun college life?!

In your two years at UCD you'll be able to have a good balance with social life etc
    For your 2 years in France in particular uni in Paris it is significantly more difficult and intense.
    If what you want is to travel then there other law courses that offer an Erasmus abroad in third year.

Advertisement