Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harness for lifting older mastiff

• 31-03-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a harness for helping my elderly mastiff cross into the car. Her hind legs are getting a bit shaky and I would like to give her a helping hand, but want to get a harness that won't cut into her. Also one that isn't too expensive. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You would be better off getting some sort of a ramp so she can walk into the car rather than jumping or lifting with a harness! I'm not sure where you would get one but I'd imagine a good strong sheet of timber would do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Thats fine for home, but also she kind of get's stuck going over stuff on walks and I'd like to give her a bit of a pull sometimes. Basically I need a harness that has a handle and padding underneath. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have a ramp that I got for an older dog that couldn't get in and out of the car, if you just look on the various pet store websites you will find them, and they fold up so that they can then go into the back of the car and be stored very easily.

Regarding harnesses, if you google ruffwear, they have some great harnesses with handles, but they're not cheap.

I'd seen the ruffwear harness, and I think they look great, just was hoping for something a bit less pricey I guess.

snoman wrote: »
    I'd seen the ruffwear harness, and I think they look great, just was hoping for something a bit less pricey I guess.

How much does she weigh?

• Advertisement

Last time weighed about 40kgs. Normally between 38/40ish kgs.

I think the weight will be your main issue, you will have to go for a really top quality harness, such as the ruffwear ones.

If you're on Facebook, check out Trailbaby, Sharon is in Scotland, she makes harnesses, leads, lines etc, she may be able to make you what you want, but I don't know what cost, but worth asking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Snoman, I invested in a Ruffwear harness 3 years ago for my pointer because of fear issues. I needed something I could control him in for when he had a panic attack. I was terrified he would slip his collar or pulling the other way choke himself.
    It was pricey - about £45 but the best investment I ever made. It's padded around the straps and has a carry handle. He's been wearing it everyday for going out walking for 3 years now and not a stitch on it has given.
    I feel really safe with him wearing it that he can't bolt, it's fantastic for getting him in the door of the vets too! I can pick him up and carry him in like a shopping bag. Sometimes he's scared to get into the car and I can just pick him up and put him in.
    I'd say for you, the handle would be invaluable to be able to give him extra support, although my boy isn't anything like 60kg.
    It's the toughest piece of dog gear I've come across yet. The handle can take the weight of your dog and the ring for the lead attachment is rock solid.
    If you shop around the prices can vary quite a bit. I eventually got mine from an online pet shop in Wales which was a lot cheaper than all the other retailers.
    8605482955_6367cd6182.jpg

Thanks a lot. I kind of know I'll have to go with the ruffwear for the best option, I just was ahoping that a cheaper options would magically appear!! ah well.

I'll see if I can find the name of that petshop if it even still exists or indeed if it's even still a stockist.

• Advertisement

I think I've found the place. When I figure out how to do it I'll pm you. It may take me some time!!

It wasn't so hard after all. Binka I've pm'd you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't know if the ruffwear one will be much help for lifting a bigger dog tbh. I have one myself and my dog wears one for hydro so have experience with them too... the handle is small and in the middle of their back so you're not going to be able to lift the dog easily - well I didn't find it much help for lifting my retriever anyways.. You'd be better with something to support the back legs when needed - eg http://www.mikkipet.com/?mikki_care=helping-hand-support-system or even a DIY job like a towel or scarf.

tk123 wrote: »
    I don't know if the ruffwear one will be much help for lifting a bigger dog tbh. I have one myself and my dog wears one for hydro so have experience with them too... the handle is small and in the middle of their back so you're not going to be able to lift the dog easily - well I didn't find it much help for lifting my retriever anyways.. You'd be better with something to support the back legs when needed - eg http://www.mikkipet.com/?mikki_care=helping-hand-support-system or even a DIY job like a towel or scarf.

That surprises me tk, maybe its a different one you have? I could lift my big sibe in his, when we went for a hike that had huge stiles that the dogs couldn't climb over :rolleyes:

ISDW wrote: »
    That surprises me tk, maybe its a different one you have? I could lift my big sibe in his, when we went for a hike that had huge stiles that the dogs couldn't climb over :rolleyes:

Maybe it was because one of his legs was 'broken' when we were using it - it just kind of lifted him at the front first putting more weight back on the legs I was trying to protect.

Maybe it was because one of his legs was 'broken' when we were using it - it just kind of lifted him at the front first putting more weight back on the legs I was trying to protect.

Maybe you just have really huge hands? :eek:;)

ISDW wrote: »
    Maybe you just have really huge hands? :eek:;)

:p well the handle is small compared to the one on then Julius K9 one we have ;).

If it's any help, my pointer is very small for his breed and weighs just over 20kg. His harness is a size small. As you can see in the picture the harness is a snug fit but still has plenty of adjustment. I went for a size down rather than up so that there was no possibility of escape.
    I would say a 60kg boy would need the large. I find it very well balanced for lifting.
    @ISDW - what size is your sibes?

Steady on! My poor old girl's only 40kg!! And my hands are, I think, normal sized :rolleyes:.
    I have a rear harness for her from previous tplo surgery, but not great for going on walks with. I checked out the Julius K9 at maxizoo yesterday and think it lacks undercarriage padding. And it has to be very comfy cos she loves swimming and I don't want any chafing!!!

Thanks

Binka wrote: »
    @ISDW - what size is your sibes?

I would have to go and dig it out of the shed, I tend to collect harnesses, lines etc :rolleyes: Diesel is a big sibe, he's KC registered, but i think theres some mally in his lines somewhere, so I think its a L or XL. he's not doing much exercise at the moment, so hasn't worn it for a long time.
    Steady on! My poor old girl's only 40kg!! And my hands are, I think, normal sized :rolleyes:.
    I have a rear harness for her from previous tplo surgery, but not great for going on walks with. I checked out the Julius K9 at maxizoo yesterday and think it lacks undercarriage padding. And it has to be very comfy cos she loves swimming and I don't want any chafing!!!

Thanks

i do think the ruffwear ones are the best if you have to lift dogs up by them. Not sure why, but the Julius K9 harnesses seem to be everywhere at the moment, when I first heard of them they were being bought by people for tracking, and were mainly GSD people buying them, but now lots of people seem to be using them as a walking harness.

• Advertisement

The Julius ones are on sale on Maxi Zoo so that's why everyone has them lol (cheaper online of course!) ;) My bro got one for my guy and once we went out with him in it they started appearing in our park...he doesn't pull and everyone assumed it was a no pull harness so got one and are now being dragged around lol! OP you can get padding/weight dispersing straps for them on k9-usa.com ;)

The Julius ones are on sale on Maxi Zoo so that's why everyone has them lol (cheaper online of course!) ;) My bro got one for my guy and once we went out with him in it they started appearing in our park...he doesn't pull and everyone assumed it was a no pull harness so got one and are now being dragged around lol! OP you can get padding/weight dispersing straps for them on k9-usa.com ;)

In the UK, so many husky owners now have them as well, they are taking over the world I tell ya.

I've been online and found a Ferplast Ergocomfort Nordic harness. Well, I've found it but can't find anywhere online to buy it. Have you ever heard of this company? Think they might be Italian.

I've been online and found a Ferplast Ergocomfort Nordic harness. Well, I've found it but can't find anywhere online to buy it. Have you ever heard of this company? Think they might be Italian.

I have one of their crates - they make the Atlas car ones.. That harness clips together with little plastic clips and sliders - they don't look strong at all imo going by the one my friend has. A handle for controlling is basically to hold the dog back - not to lift it.

Well. Since I can't find it it probably doesn't matter. There is only one of this brand available online and, yup, that did look a bit flimsy. I reckon the Julius is so popular cos it markets itself as a brand that professional police force and rescue services use. Think I'm going ruffwear direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

i know a lady who bought one of these harnesses for her elderly dane and she swears by it! not sure what price it is as its an american website but, if its helpful for a dane it'll defo be helpful for a mastiff

http://helpemup.com/

kassie wrote: »
    i know a lady who bought one of these harnesses for her elderly dane and she swears by it! not sure what price it is as its an american website but, if its helpful for a dane it'll defo be helpful for a mastiff

http://helpemup.com/

That looks like the business for a supporting the back end. It's 2 handed control as well. It says 110 us$ for the large and there's a UK distributor but no £ price. Seems you have to contact them. Probably still be twice the price of the Ruffwear harness.:(
    OP, if you do contact them would you let us know the prices, just for future reference in case I ever need that type of aid.

The harness looks great, but as it stands way, way out of my price league. But I'll definately get back to you if I go to them to price it.

Ok. Here's the price and contact details for the uk and european suppliers. They quoted me £92stg plus p&p/courier. So probably no cheaper on the harness, but delivery would work out cheaper.

Allison and Rod Hunt
    +44 [0]1453 811930 Office
    +44 [0]7836 580782 Cel
    www.orthopets.co.uk
    Email: helpemup@orthopets.co.uk

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting up the details might come in handy some day, but as you say, pricey piece of kit.

Advertisement