Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harness for lifting older mastiff

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Does anyone know if there would be an outlet in the Cork area that would stock Ruffwear? I suspect not but I really would like to fit the harness before I order it. I've just measured my girl and she's exactly on the cusp of medium to large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I dont think there is anywhere in Ireland that stock these harnesses. I have the ruffwear "webmaster" harness for my collie - she was on the borderline of 2 sizes and I got the smaller one (Ruffwear actually recommends you get the smaller size if its borderline)

However I now regret getting the smaller size. I think (and I say I Think!!) the main reason they suggest getting the smaller one is because for some dogs the "coat" part of the harness will be too long with the larger size --and if the dog is a boy dog the strap which goes across the belly can cover over where they pee from - if youre with me!! For a girl dog (and especially a larger type - like yours) I would actually recommend getting the larger size if on borderline sizing - the coat part should be longer and the belly strap will be more proportioned - especially for helping with mobility. I would imagine the same would go for the other styles of Ruffwear harnesses. They are a brilliant harness - I just wish now I had got the larger size - gives a bit more leeway with weight and can be adjusted more comfortably to suit the dog lying down.

Edited to add - I wouldnt actually recommend the webmaster for full on lifting of a dog as it doesnt support the hips properly - its ok for giving a dog a bit or a hoosh so to speak but not for full on lifting - the "doubleback" harness would be much more suited to that:
    http://www.ruffwear.com/DoubleBack-Harness

Advertisement