Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need an NCPS Clamp removed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Were you in apartments or where?you could *borrow a locals sticker* allowing you to park there. Or the clamp fsiry might help jist remember to be seen somewhere else. Also i think its apcoa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Just read op last post ah boo next time keep an anglegrinder and camcorder in your boot or fit big ass tyres!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Kingkong wrote: »
    Just got it removed now by ncps, couldnt get it off as hadn't the tools to unblot the wishbone and didnt have snips!

Jayzus, i'm only up the road from you. You shouldn't have paid, us boardies would have helped you get that clamp off! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

NCPS 1 Victims 0. :mad:

I love this, just park legally and they won't clamp you, or if they do in the wrong they'll remove it.

I've been clamped 3 times by Apcoa. I paid and appealed the first time and got my money back (got more than I paid as the release fee went up in the meantime) and the other 2 times were wrongly clamped after I registered by text to park in the area. I explained their error (angrily!) and they removed the clamp both times without charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Okay - This thread was not started to open a debate on clamping and had a simple request.

The law is clear private clamping is illegal and by extension removing it from a my property is legal allowed. If someone put a chain on your bicycle or even your house surely you have every right to remove it in order to access your own property.

The law is far from clear on clamping; otherwise we wouldn't see this debate everytime the matter comes up.

If it was properly clear cut illegal then it wouldn't be happening. If you actually want to make a stand against clamping then take one of them through the court system and get a proper ruling against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

djimi wrote: »

If it was properly clear cut illegal then it wouldn't be happening. If you actually want to make a stand against clamping then take one of them through the court system and get a proper ruling against them.

A (multiple) apartment owner (in Northwood, funnily enough) brought the OMC and NCPS to court. He was given a temporary injunction, but in the end the judge refused to renew it and told him to pay his service charges. I don't think it went to a full hearing, so legal situation re. clamping was not resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

two brothers close to me had a novel idea

one of them parked for the night in our apartment complex where his girlfriend was living, but did not realise that in order to park in the visitor car par spaces he also needed a permit. So he came out in the morning and their was a clamp on the front of his Hilux

The other brother arrived an hour later with a tilt bed revovery trailer with a big winch on it. They managed to winch the jeep on the the trailer with the clamp still on the hilux, it kinds just skidded its way up.

Off they went, never damaged the clamp, just moved it to a different location

I assume the clampers would have figured it out, but if he got the clamp off un damaged, which would be possible by dissassembling some of the suspension components as home, and returned it, I suppose he could not be charged as the fee is a 'release fee' isn't it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

So OP parked where he shouldn't. I presume there was clamping sings around. What difference is getting clamped to the owner locking the gates? Would you cut the gates? Damage the lock on that? No matter what your vies on clamping, I personally do not agree, however it is around, shady or not. If you get clamped 99 out of 100 it is your fault. There is the odd time when mistakes happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

This post has been deleted.

FYP:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

€120 for a few months parking is not too bad. I am all for people taking off clamps except when people are clearly taking the piss as it seems in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Just got it removed now by ncps, couldnt get it off as hadn't the tools to unblot the wishbone and didnt have snips!

Very annoyed, just back from hols and had been using the under ground for months in an unused space that I was told I could use.

Really want to invest in snips now, never payin it again.
    If you paid by credit card, ring up the credit card company tomorrow and tell them you're refusing the charge. You're legally entitled to do that, and the clamping outfit will never dispute it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Alan_P wrote: »
    If you paid by credit card, ring up the credit card company tomorrow and tell them you're refusing the charge. You're legally entitled to do that, and the clamping outfit will never dispute it.

Wrong. MBNA refused to cancel such a charge on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Wrong. MBNA refused to cancel such a charge on my behalf.

On what grounds did they refuse the chargeback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I will have to dig out the letter later. They cancelled my card and issued me a new number all for nothing. To be honest I think they were just too cowardly to ask NCPS for the money back.

...What difference is getting clamped to the owner locking the gates? Would you cut the gates? Damage the lock on that?...
    Actually S9 Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 specifically makes it an offence to, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, prevent the free passage of any person or vehicle in a public place (as defined in the aforementioned act).

Therefore, under the circumstances you described, locking a gate and preventing exit of a person from a public place, is an offence, and liable for a class E fine. If someone locked gates and prevented you from leaving, simply ring the Garda.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0009.html#sec9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I think some of you people need to spend a few hours learning lock-picking. Saves all the hassle in the end and only takes one or two minutes to pick the lock, a lot less if you are good at it. Google Southord lock-picks. Better to use brain than brawn.

zenno wrote: »
    I think some of you people need to spend a few hours learning lock-picking. Saves all the hassle in the end and only takes one or two minutes to pick the lock, a lot less if you are good at it. Google Southord lock-picks. Better to use brain than brawn.
    Very true, but its unlawful to carry lock picks (or anything which could be used for theft etc I believe) outside your home. This would also cover a grinder, but it would be easier to defend having a grinder in the car over a set of lock picks.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/sec0015.html#sec15

Edit:
    Just re-read the legislation. Seems im wrong. Would be a good test case for court.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I have to say i'm really enjoying this thread. I would just like to add this tutorial video to the mix on clamp removal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqV5vJdH-TA

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

While its not illegal to remove a clamp, it is illegal to damage one.

The have to prove You removed it in the first place!!! To much hassle and cost to bother on their part.

NCPS and their representatives are responsible for some very illegal clamping in particular around Grand Canal dock where they are clamping in council parking spaces, and in areas where there is no sings indicating clamping is possible.

Plus just wander past the Spar there between 12-1 any day and look at the two illegally parked NCPS vans and the private car owned by NCPS staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Take a leaf out of my book, OP

Advertisement