Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short term job offer and SW

• 31-03-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been unemployed for approx 18 mths now, no sign of work. I'm doing a bit of voluntary work in the community a few hours a week to keep busy and a temporary job has come up that I have a very good chance of getting. The pay is very low but the experience will be invaluable to me and it may lead in time to something more permanent but I'm concerned about where I stand if that is not the case.

If I sign off and then need to sign on again how long can I expect to wait? The job is for 11 weeks full time but any extra money I make will be gone on childcare so I won't have much in the way of savings to cushion me.

Has anyone any experience of the time it takes to qualify again after a period of reemployment? I'm in the Dublin 15 area. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

AlisonFW wrote: »
    I've been unemployed for approx 18 mths now, no sign of work. I'm doing a bit of voluntary work in the community a few hours a week to keep busy and a temporary job has come up that I have a very good chance of getting. The pay is very low but the experience will be invaluable to me and it may lead in time to something more permanent but I'm concerned about where I stand if that is not the case.

If I sign off and then need to sign on again how long can I expect to wait? The job is for 11 weeks full time but any extra money I make will be gone on childcare so I won't have much in the way of savings to cushion me.

Has anyone any experience of the time it takes to qualify again after a period of reemployment? I'm in the Dublin 15 area. Thanks.

You need to ask in your local sw office if they fast track repeat claims after getting work for 11 weeks. You can apply for supplementary welfare allowance from your community welfare officer while your repeat claim is being processed. If the temporary work was not full time e.g. 3 days or less you could change over to casual jobseekers during the time you are working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have been looking for work. I decided to ask the local social welfare office what would happen if I got some work even for a few weeks. I was told they will suspend my payment for the 1st eight weeks but after this I would need to reply for my payment.
    I would ask your own welfare office how long you would be waiting for a payment.
    Also if you get this job ring revenue and get your tax sorted out asap so you won't be overpaying tax.

Another thing that you could consider if you got part time work is the Part Time Job Incentive Scheme. If you work for 24 hours a week or less you may be entitled to this payment for up to 12 months.
    If you look up welfare.ie, go into job seeker, then go into work supports and look under part time job incentive scheme. From memory if you are out of work more than 18 months and the part time job will last for at least 2 months you can apply for this.
    Good luck with getting this job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Both times I've got temp work they've closed my claim, forcing me to reapply. It's very frustrating. They also looked for extra paperwork on reapplication, to prove I had in fact finished the temp work. If I was gonna lie sure I wouldn't have signed off in the first place! :rolleyes:
    I think at 11 weeks they will probably close your claim. Speak to someone in the social welfare office about what will be the quickest way to reopen your claim, get the info in writing, and get their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the replies

You're right Dearg Lady it is very very frustrating. I did ring my local SW office and they have no fast track system so I am put to the end of the list if I lose a job. Current waiting times are about 3 months. That's a long time to have no money. It really does make you wonder why anyone would do a short term job at all when they know they have to start from zero again.

Lady Lady I have never even heard of the Part Time Job Incentive Scheme, thank you so much for putting that info in your post. I will certainly look into that and see if that might be an option.

Advertisement