Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made a balls of my first brew?

Options
  • 31-03-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I bought a starter Coopers kit and tried to make my first batch on Good Friday. Have been working over the weekend and have noticed the temperature has dropped to 14-16 due to the cold weather.

Is it likely that it's spoiled or are there any ways to save it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Won't have spoiled. The worst case would be that fermenting may slow down but at 16, it won't have slowed by much if even at all. If temps are low, throw a towel around the bucket to bring it back up a bit. Usually works for me. During summer I get a nice fermenting temp of 18 - 20, with cold months it will drop to about 16. The towel around the fermenter and left loosely over the top usually keeps it at the 18 mark which is fine for kit brewing such as Cooper's.

You can buy a brew belt which will keep temps up. I haven't had a need for one so not used one. You need to watch to make sure temps don't get too high with one on tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Fletch87 wrote: »
    I bought a starter Coopers kit and tried to make my first batch on Good Friday. Have been working over the weekend and have noticed the temperature has dropped to 14-16 due to the cold weather.

Is it likely that it's spoiled or are there any ways to save it?

did any fermentation take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fletch87

I brought the temp back up to about 16/18 by setting it in some warm water in the bath, although it did get as low as 14. It seems to be fermenting fine though.
    Will it be better to leave the Krausen collar in until the foam subsides or remove on Day 3 as per the dvd?

I've been taken the instructions verbatim but realise from your advice there is a bit of scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

I'd remove the krausen collar 3 or 4 days after you rose the temperature to 18°. Removing the collar just makes it easier to clean off the krausen than if you left it there for the full fermentation. The collar also gives you more head space during the initial fermentation as sometimes the krausen can foam out the lid :eek:

What kit was it btw?

• Advertisement

Here's a great video on using the coopers starter kit, much better than the dvd you get with the kit:

You get a dvd with the kits these days?

I've never gone near my brew until fermentation is complete. For most kits, that's at least 2 weeks. The fermenters can be easily cleaned once empty of the precious beer. Once the yeast has been pitched and the lid on, the most I do is check the temp every now & then.

Yawns, you get a short dvd with the Coopers DIY Beer kit. I'm not talking about the tin of extract ;)

1334400703.jpg

KK, never bought that starter kit. I did order everything I needed from out west and the lads were kind enough to make a balls of their system and sent it twice. I generously accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fletch87

Thanks for that 3dsteel. I've started with the DIY Coopers lager starter kit. Pretty much learning by doing so happy with any advice I get!

• Advertisement

Fletch87 wrote: »
    Thanks for that 3dsteel. I've started with the DIY Coopers lager starter kit. Pretty much learning by doing so happy with any advice I get!

That was my first kit too, very easy to drink! The hardest part is leaving it in the bottles long enough to age a bit. I think the instructions say you can drink it after 2 weeks conditioning? It's better to leave it in the bottles for 4 - 6 weeks if you have the patience!

Have a look at this site too if you haven't already:
    http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=kit

Advertisement