Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this cruel?

• 31-03-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

So...

The neighbours got a brand new Cocker Spaniel from Santa.

The good:
    • They seem to treat the dog well and seem to genuinely love the dog.

The bad:
    • It's a first floor, 2 bed apartment - tiny balcony.
    • They walk the dog twice a day but only for about 2 - 4 minutes per walk.
    • We live in a small estate and I've never seen the dog actually leave the estate - they walk it around the front green area until it's done it's business and then back to apartment.
    • I've been at home all day sick for the last 4 days and the poor dog howls, barks and scratches at the floor / walls all day long while they are at work.
    When I asked them why they got a Cocker she said that she had one as a kid and always wanted another one.

Would / should this be classed as cruelty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Its not but probably should be. No dog warden will even respond to a call like that. Long as the dog has food, water and shelter, its not cruelty. Unfortunately the dog will almost certainly lead a miserable life with brief moments of joy, like many family pets.

Ive gone all Sartre today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

How old is the cocker?

If it is a puppy it can only go on short walks. In saying that a pup should get out from an apartment more than twice a day. Where does it go to the toilet (in the apartment)?

Regardless of age a new pet shouldn't be locked up all day - barking/scratching indicates that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tell your neighbour about the dog howling and scratching all day long and how it is miserable being locked up alone all day(how would she like it), and that it is not fair on dogs who are pack animals and need company during daytime or at least to feel that there are people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

paultf wrote: »
    How old is the cocker?

I'd say at least 6 months old now

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Tell your neighbour about the dog howling and scratching all day long and how it is miserable being locked up alone all day(how would she like it), and that it is not fair on dogs who are pack animals and need company during daytime or at least to feel that there are people around.

I did a few weeks ago - spoke to the husband. He says they are all a bit like that when they are young. :rolleyes:

I've only realised the last few days that the dog is like this all day.

@paultf Goes to toilet out on the green (bitch) - as soon she goes once it's straight back to the apt.

Assume that she goes fairly often in the house too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I'd say at least 6 months old now

That is very young to be left on his own all day. Poor pup with no company. Also looks like he goes to the toilet in the apartment during the day.

(Also to add: since it is an apartment I wonder have they segregated a part of an apartment for the pup? Otherwise, at that young age, she could be ripping everything to pieces. If so then that could be worse again i.e. boxed into a small space, in an apartment.)

There is a general rule of 5 minutes exercise per month. When that dog gets older he'll need more exercise.

Maybe suggest to your neighbour to get someone to walk the dog during the day?

As it is an apartment do you have a management company?

Or last resort, you could complain to the council about excessive noise/barking?

That is very young to be left on his own all day. Poor pup with no company. Also looks like he goes to the toilet in the apartment during the day.

(Also to add: since it is an apartment I wonder have they segregated a part of an apartment for the pup? Otherwise, at that young age, she could be ripping everything to pieces. If so then that could be worse again i.e. boxed into a small space, in an apartment.)

Judging by what I can hear through the walls the dog has access to the whole apt.

Maybe suggest to your neighbour to get someone to walk the dog during the day?

As it is an apartment do you have a management company?

Or last resort, you could complain to the council about excessive noise/barking?

Already offered to walk the dog as I go for a walk almost every evening anyways, they politely refused the offer. Probably best to try to talk to them about the noise but if that goes badly it could make for an awkward living situation.

TBH I could live with the noise if the dog was out chasing a sliotar for a while every evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Had the same situation with my neighbors....it really does drive me mad. There just isn't really anything you can do.

Neighbors are convinced it is 'normal' for dogs to cry all day and that the dog will 'grow out of it'. They don't care about the noise because it only happens when they leave. No consideration for the dog or their neighbors. It's no wonder so many landlords and tenants prefer pet-free housing.

Another neighbor and I, after having no luck speaking with the neighbor directly, resorted to complaining to the landlord. End result was they broke down and purchased a bark collar.

Now the poor dog cries and scratches with the bark collar on all day. I know because 2-3 times per day it will try to bark only to turn into a painful 'yelp'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Try talking to the owners again. They may not realise how lonely the dog is during the day.

There are a variety of things they could try to keep it occupied. Frozen kong toys with treats, for instant. Training it to hide and seek for treats, and setting up a load of hidden treats before leaving the house. Leaving the TV or radio on when out - this last one, which seems SO simple, can actually have a HUGE effect on the animal not feeling abandoned and alone. You can buy home-alone toys that you fix to a wall or ceiling beam that the dog can tug on and swing on if they're really bored.

Some people believe if you leave a dog its toys, it'll entertain itself - it really doesn't happen. When you're not home, the best you can hope for is it sleeps, or hunts out food, or enjoys chewing on something it should chew, and waits for you to get home. If you can make some suggestions to the owners it could all end up a little more happily... (Or they could tell you to get stuffed. :( )

If you can make some suggestions to the owners it could all end up a little more happily... (Or they could tell you to get stuffed. :( )

Will try talking to them again.

Maybe should print off your suggestions and slide them under the door! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Cocker spaniels are very often subject to seperation anxiety. Maybe you could try and suggest them to take up behaviourial training? Crating sometimes seems to help, but since non of mine has these symptoms I am no expert. But it does sound like an expert is needed.(or company for the poor dog):(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

So...

The neighbours got a brand new Cocker Spaniel from Santa.

The good:
    • They seem to treat the dog well and seem to genuinely love the dog.
    The bad:
    • It's a first floor, 2 bed apartment - tiny balcony.
    • They walk the dog twice a day but only for about 2 - 4 minutes per walk.
    • We live in a small estate and I've never seen the dog actually leave the estate - they walk it around the front green area until it's done it's business and then back to apartment.
    • I've been at home all day sick for the last 4 days and the poor dog howls, barks and scratches at the floor / walls all day long while they are at work.
    When I asked them why they got a Cocker she said that she had one as a kid and always wanted another one.

Would / should this be classed as cruelty?

as an owner of a cocker spaniel i would say
    absolutely…

Cockers and spaniels in general are working breeds and need alot of exercise, well not so much as a puppy, ie 5 mins each day for every month old the dog is, but as adults dogs they need tons of exercise. They are also extremely scent driven and love running around in a garden taking in all the smells and terrorising the birds etc.

They also ADORE company and rarely want to be left alone, they can be whingey and clingy too - god im making them sound terrible, they are a fab breed but IMO can be high maintenance, but worth all the effort and trouble (as all dogs are).

IMO only a small number of breeds are suitable for apartment living and a cocker is most def. not one of them. They can also be very destructive when left alone as pups for long periods of time.

God the poor thing must be miserable.

Advertisement