Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing harness buckle required

Options
  • 31-03-2013 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I lost the female side of a side release buckle from my climbing harness.
    I'm finding it difficult to find a replacement.
    Can anyone suggest where I might get one.
    The strap is 17mm wide.

Here' s a picture.
    -Thanks

harnessi.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've bought buckles etc. from here before http://stores.ebay.ie/bucklesandwebbingemporium I can't see anything for 17mm webbing, only 15mm and 20mm though. Maybe ask the seller, or else maybe the webbing is actually 15mm and has stretched a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I'm still having no job.
    The problem is finding a 15mm side release buckle that is adjustable on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah, didn't realise there was a requirement for it being adjustable on both sides. I'd guess typically those would be for wider webbing for e.g. waist straps for rucksacks etc. so might be a bit more difficult to source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

A lot of camping shops sell the, you'll have to ask the staff as it's not the sort of thing usually on display.
    Stupid question but is it actually for a harness or something else?

• Advertisement

Gillo wrote: »
    A lot of camping shops sell the, you'll have to ask the staff as it's not the sort of thing usually on display.
    Stupid question but is it actually for a harness or something else?

It's for a harness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

It's for a harness.

Have you tried emailing the manufacturer? Most climbing companies are quite helpful with little things like that, or ask on UKC forums maybe.

Apologies for the previous question, I thought I's never seen a buckle like that used on a harness, but I was thinking of the front of the harness. I guessing it's for the back to hold the "leg loops" up? It didn't like it'd be up to holding the weight of a fall but yeah that all makes sense now.
    As the other poster said get onto the manufacturer.

SomeFool wrote: »
    Have you tried emailing the manufacturer? Most climbing companies are quite helpful with little things like that, or ask on UKC forums maybe.

I'll try that, thanks.

Gillo wrote: »
    Apologies for the previous question, I thought I's never seen a buckle like that used on a harness, but I was thinking of the front of the harness. I guessing it's for the back to hold the "leg loops" up? It didn't like it'd be up to holding the weight of a fall but yeah that all makes sense now.
    As the other poster said get onto the manufacturer.

Yeah, that's the one.
    I hadn't used the harness in a while, when I took it out the buckle had gone missing.

I'm willing to be corrected but I'm very sure that that buckle isn't meant to take any load or weight so a small be of velcro should hold the strap in place if you can't find a replacement buckle.
    Just to say, I'd take a chance with the velcro myself, but ultimately it's your decision, bearing in mind that it is a piece of safety equipment. Mod's I don't think I'm breaking the charter or giving bad advice here but if you feel the need, feel free to delete my post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement