Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venn diagram problem

Options
  • 31-03-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am doing some junior cert project maths revision on chapter 10 of the text and test 2 book and am kind of stuck on a Venn diagram question on page 203.

"in a group of 25 students, 18 study maths, 12 study science and 5 study neither maths or science.
    Illustrate this information on a venn diagram.
    If a student is selected at random, what is the probability that the student studies
    1. Maths only
    2. Science only
    3. Maths or Science or both
    4. Both maths and science

I know that 5 are neither maths or science so they are outside the venn diagram but how do I determine of the figures 18 and 12 that they study maths only, science only or both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am doing some junior cert project maths revision on chapter 10 of the text and test 2 book and am kind of stuck on a Venn diagram question on page 203.

"in a group of 25 students, 18 study maths, 12 study science and 5 study neither maths or science.
    Illustrate this information on a venn diagram.
    If a student is selected at random, what is the probability that the student studies
    1. Maths only
    2. Science only
    3. Maths or Science or both
    4. Both maths and science

I know that 5 are neither maths or science so they are outside the venn diagram but how do I determine of the figures 18 and 12 that they study maths only, science only or both?

From all the info given you add them together to get 35 (18+12+5), but the question says the group has 25 students. So if 5 study neither, you're left with 30 even though you should only have 20 students left. So 30-20 = 10. This ten is the amount of students who study both science and math. Therefore the number of students who study science only is 2 (12-10) and the amount of students only studying maths only is 8 (18-10).

To make sure you're correct add the info you got together (5+10+2+8) to get 25, which is how many students you should have. :)

Advertisement