Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

35yo with unresticted learners A, what bike?

• 31-03-2013 4:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

So as the title says i'm 35 with a unresstricted learners A,

I have ibt done and a bit of motocross experience,

I'd like a sports bike and with the new A and my age could i get something sporty?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Mandzhalas

i think you can get any bike.but will insurance company will insure you on high powered sports bikes for reasonable money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fazer600

New shape have circa 100 brake.

older model has arround the 70 mark. ( open to correction)

sports touring really. can't fault them

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Under the new system I can ride any bike, but do any of ye know if the insurance companies are paying any attention to the unrestricted A or can the still refuse to insure you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Could look at a factory restricted GXR600. Good looking (IMO) , just powerful enough to have some fun but not be too lairy and as you get more experience you can look at de-restricting.

Insurance is reasonable so long as its factory restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

if your licence is not restricted dont get a restricted bike, find out what you can get insurance on..
    Something like a bandit or something sililar would be perfect, on my 2010 gsxr600 i can select mode A,B or C, in mode C the power is well down from full and makes it a bit easier to ride starting off, but i would not recommend a full faired bike as your first bike as you may drop it and it will get expensive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Whats your budget....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

fazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Under the new system I can ride any bike, but do any of ye know if the insurance companies are paying any attention to the unrestricted A or can the still refuse to insure you?
    AFAIK you will only get insured on a bike < 40KW (~500cc or less) unless its factory restricted with a learner permit regardless of the category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I'm on a GS1200 on a provisional A licence but with IBT 5 done and AON assessment done. Doing my test in may. Insurance co don't really care when I do my test...all they wanted was IBT 1-5 done plus assessment with a certain required score. Having said that I've put the work in, in my mid 40s and rode bikes scooters years ago which went some to getting insured plus they wanted to see my full driving Licence and copy of my car insurance. I think if this was my sole transport the goal posts would deffo have moved re risk liability.

Rgds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i'm on a 900 triumph trophy on an unrestricted A, ibt done, mod5 in the next few weeks, insured thru carole nash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I just got insured last week on an unrestricted bandit 650 with Liberty, IBT done last month.

Adelaide and Carole Nash were having none of it, Aon were looking for a level 2 assessment and were still double Liberty.

However Adelaide were saying I needed to be 30 to get a first quote so you should get one.

No faffing about with restrictions, and an after market restrictor kit made no difference in price with Liberty anyway...

Edit: It's not a sporty bike but Aon somehow had it rated 10 out of 12 in their risk assessment!

Advertisement