Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuclear reactor help

• 31-03-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Ok I have the internal design for my reactor, it's gonna produce 120+ EU/t, my problem is that it's my first reactor and I'm scared :/

I have it housed in a reinforced 9x9 concrete building, filled with water. I have 3 chambers connected to the reactor and a 4xins HV cable connecting it to my MFSU outside my reactor housing. From my MFSU, I have it connected to a MV transformer. My problem is, can I connect a HV cable directly to a MV transformer or do I first need a HV transformer in series with a MV transformer?

Also, I am trying to power 5 electrical engines for my quarry, which is 64x64, off of my reactor. What would be the easiest way to do this? I tried to use conductive pipe to transfer eu from a batbox to the engines but you can't do that. The quarry is approx 60-80 blocks from the MFSU, and the MFSU is going to be connected to a mass fabricator also.

Any advice? I am still pretty much a noob but I'm getting better, thanks.

Direwolf20 modpack.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I found the best way to test reactors is to start up a creative world and replicate your design there. That way you can spot any potential problems.

You can connect any type of cable to any transformer, its the power going through the cable that matters. In this case, an MV transformer takes HV current and drops it down to MV so you are ok to hook it up to your MFSU.

Electrical engines only use 6EU/t each, so the best way would be to drop an MFE next to them and connect that to your MV transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

deconduo wrote: »
    I found the best way to test reactors is to start up a creative world and replicate your design there. That way you can spot any potential problems.

You can connect any type of cable to any transformer, its the power going through the cable that matters. In this case, an MV transformer takes HV current and drops it down to MV so you are ok to hook it up to your MFSU.

Electrical engines only use 6EU/t each, so the best way would be to drop an MFE next to them and connect that to your MV transformer.

That's a good idea actually, thanks I didn't think of the MFE!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try to avoid using HV cable of any kind on high-end power generators; its lossy as hell. Unless you want to pump out over 500EU/t (!) try to use glass fibre cable to connect the reactor to your MFSU, as the MFSU isn't usually that far away from the reactor (and if it is then the losses from the HV cable would be ruinous anyway and you'd have to invest in lots of diamond-eating fibre cable anyway! :P). Because you are producing less than 512EU/t you can pipe the power straight into the MFSU using fibre.

On that note, Electrical Engines are smart machines. Unlike their more common "dumb" cousins they cap their energy draw at their rated maximum and don't try to draw infinite energy like macerators etc. This means you don't actually have to break down their input source with transformers; theoretically you can power them straight from the MFSU using fibre cable and they won't explode. The problem is that in your case this would EAT diamonds as the quarry is a good few blocks away from the reactor/MFSU.

Probably the least wasteful method of connecting everything together is to have the MFSU's supply to the Quarry running through an MV and then LV transformer, and then running an Insulated Copper Cable from the LV transformer to a BattBox placed very close to the Quarry and its engines, using a couple of bits of insulated cooper cable to connect the BattBox to each Engine. Unless you have a few dozen diamonds to spare to make a ton of fibre cable of course :p

Finally, make sure the "hole" in the reactor casing is pointing in a direction you have nothing valuable in, or that the cable duct has additional concrete reinforcements to contain any "accidents" so you don't risk losing your MFSU or indeed your base in case bad things happen ;)

Advertisement