Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRH now a cork outpost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Max Powers wrote: »
    Well, it looks like we will have more trips to Cork over our lifetime as WRH does become an outpost of WRH, services for now have been temporarily saved and a new sign out front, down the next few years Cork and other regional hospitals will consolidate, cherry pick staff and move services to their back yard. FG/Lab (i dont like using this term but its accurate) raping Waterford, disgraceful and shame on the 3 TDs.

What FG/Lab has done to Waterford is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Yes Boss wrote: »
    What FG/Lab has done to Waterford is unforgivable.

They've done it before, they have done it again now, and they will do it again in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Could this possibly be a good thing? Phil hogan mentioned a while back that something could happen between the W.I.T. as a technological university and the hospital as a teaching hospital. Nice to know our ministers are very quiet on this issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

FG/Lab (i dont like using this term but its accurate) raping Waterford, disgraceful and shame on the 3 TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Cant understand a word of that? Think he plays centre forward!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Well, it looks like we will have more trips to Cork over our lifetime as WRH does become an outpost of WRH, services for now have been temporarily saved and a new sign out front, down the next few years Cork and other regional hospitals will consolidate, cherry pick staff and move services to their back yard. FG/Lab (i dont like using this term but its accurate) raping Waterford, disgraceful and shame on the 3 TDs.

Well said Max. A bunch of liars. Not one red cent, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Fair point, poor use of language.

padraig.od wrote: »
    Fair point, poor use of language.

Why? This is what's happening effectively.

7upfree wrote: »
    Why? This is what's happening effectively.

The FG/Lab coalition government is effectively "compelling you through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse". No wonder you don't like big Phil Hogan and the gang.

Grow up.

The FG/Lab coalition government is effectively "compelling you through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse". No wonder you don't like big Phil Hogan and the gang.

Grow up.

Hmmm. Fan of Phil I see. It's called hyperbole. You might need to look it up. You need to grow up yourself methinks.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Fan of Phil I see. It's called hyperbole. You might need to look it up. You need to grow up yourself methinks.

haha not at all. I have never voted for any Irish political party start with an F in my life, so don't tar me with that brush.

And it's not hyperbole. It's offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

haha not at all. I have never voted for any Irish political party start with an F in my life, so don't tar me with that brush.

And it's not hyperbole. It's offensive.

Do yourself a massive favour and just add her to your ignore button. It amazes me that people even rise to her complete idioticy and trolling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

l.jpg

*damn you government! At least we have something to poke you with now that the hospital is safe!*

DISCLAIMER: For those without a sense of humour, this post is not directed as an insult or an attempt to raise any individual, group or section of our community. I hereby declare that this post is a lighthearted remark to ease the tension and upset following months of tension, false alarms, speculation, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

So we will have the teaching wing of UHC I wonder does this mean a downgrade as we all fear. I fear for the worst as O'Reilly has shown already self interest in decisions he has made so far in proposing vital medical centres in his own back yard. What are the views of the medical Staff at WRH. What has happened to our status as a Gateway City does this mean someone has stolen our gates.
    Does this also mean that we will never achieve University status at WRC. For the oldest city in Ireland we are being treated with contempt by this bunch of carpetbaggers that are calling themselves a Government, trying to tell us this is a move forward. Its not, what this this is another downgrade of services that we should be retaining as a so called Gateway City. Every regional city in Ireland has University status with their hospital given the same status except Waterford. I wonder has Paudi Coffey given any consideration to the threat he made not so long ago when a downgrade was first proposed for WRH. We have lost so much from our city under this present administration I doubt any other city would accept it. If you can recall the first cut they tried to make was take away our 24hr rescue service and put in place a 12hr service but with enough protest from the right quaters that was stopped. How come it wasn't tried elsewhere when it did not suceed here afterall they were pleading it was all about saving money. I'm just wondering what will be the next asualt on our town oh sorry I meant to say city be. I hope I haven't given someone in authority any idea's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Sully wrote: »

*damn you government! At least we have something to poke you with now that the hospital is safe!*

DISCLAIMER: For those without a sense of humour, this post is not directed as an insult or an attempt to raise any individual, group or section of our community. I hereby declare that this post is a lighthearted remark to ease the tension and upset following months of tension, false alarms, speculation, and so on.

Sully is a girl.... surprised :eek:

hospital is hardly safe... it has some short term assurances which mean as little as any other assurances/promises that have been given in the past.... this while other bits and pieces are being stripped away

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    So we will have the teaching wing of UHC I wonder does this mean a downgrade as we all fear. I fear for the worst as O'Reilly has shown already self interest in decisions he has made so far in proposing vital medical centres in his own back yard. What are the views of the medical Staff at WRH. What has happened to our status as a Gateway City does this mean someone has stolen our gates.
    Does this also mean that we will never achieve University status at WRC. For the oldest city in Ireland we are being treated with contempt by this bunch of carpetbaggers that are calling themselves a Government, trying to tell us this is a move forward. Its not, what this this is another downgrade of services that we should be retaining as a so called Gateway City. Every regional city in Ireland has University status with their hospital given the same status except Waterford. I wonder has Paudi Coffey given any consideration to the threat he made not so long ago when a downgrade was first proposed for WRH. We have lost so much from our city under this present administration I doubt any other city would accept it. If you can recall the first cut they tried to make was take away our 24hr rescue service and put in place a 12hr service but with enough protest from the right quaters that was stopped. How come it wasn't tried elsewhere when it did not suceed here afterall they were pleading it was all about saving money. I'm just wondering what will be the next asualt on our town oh sorry I meant to say city be. I hope I haven't given someone in authority any idea's there.

Both the HSE, the government and Paudie Coffey have said WRH is not being downgraded. Services are being kept, some services are being improved and the hospital will become a teaching hospital (as people sought). It will retain cancer, cardiology and trauma services.

Quoting directly from Paudie Coffey's statement on Facebook.

- WRH will continue to be a National Cancer Control Programme Centre and Waterford will retain its current population referral base for cancer patients from the region and further to that, joint consultant appointments (such as general surgery shared with Wexford) across the hospital groups will continue to support the cancer services it provides.

- Currently Waterford Regional Hospital’s cardiology unit is provided from 9am to 5pm. The appointment of an additional consultant, as a result of the establishment of the hospital group, means further flexibility of staff across the group should be achieved. The goal is the provision of cardiology cover 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at WRH and this is to welcomed.

- Further to critical services being maintained and enhanced, Waterford Regional Hospital is set to become a major teaching hospital, as a result of academic linkages to the hospital group. This will be a benefit in terms of research, education and professional development. Waterford Institute of Technology and WRH will work closer together and the current teaching arrangements between WRH and the Royal College of Surgeons will continue.

- To deliver on these targets we need to invest in WRH and that is exactly what the Government is doing. WRH is set to gain a considerable number of new and replacement consultant posts in the areas of emergency medicine, dermatology and acute medicine. The expansion of the Emergency Department at WRH is almost complete and the new unit has almost doubled the amount of treatment spaces.

- The existing 18 bed neo-natal unit will be replaced by a 25 bed state-of-the-art neo-natal unit that will serve all obstetric units in the South East region, due to be completed by the end of June. The long awaited regional palliative care unit has progressed to design stage recently and, together with the support of the Waterford Hospice Movement, will be advanced further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Worth nothing he is a Councillor - NOT a TD. So he has no power as to what the government do.

I assume his leaflet is on local issues not impacted by national policies. That is, after all, their job.

Ciara Conway is highly unlike to win her seat back; if Labour stand any chance of holding the seat Seamus Ryan is their best bet this time.

Both the HSE, the government and Paudie Coffey have said WRH is not being downgraded. Services are being kept, some .

Well it must be true if they said it - especially the HSE who are always so forth coming with the truth.

Why has WRH lost control of its budget to CUH? Any basic business course will inform you that loss of budgetary control = a downgrade.

WRH and RCSI already had the teaching aspect covered, how exactly does the new arrangement benefit the SE region, the teaching aspect sounds like an announcement rather then an advancement - another way of covering up the longterm downgrade of WRH

Ciara Conway is highly unlike to win her seat back; if Labour stand any chance of holding the seat Seamus Ryan is their best bet this time.

Replacing a limited experienced TD with one without any experience and is virtually unknown outside of anti-government campaigns? Ciara has built up her name locally and nationally gradually in the past two years, she is more known that Ryan. Labour would be shooting itself in the foot replacing with Ryan seeing as they may well struggle in this next election.
    Well it must be true if they said it - especially the HSE who are always so forth coming with the truth.

Well if your local reps, the government and the HSE (who don't always see eye to eye the government) are confirming this and you refuse to believe it - than who do you believe? There the people making the decisions. Not anybody else.
    Why has WRH lost control of its budget to CUH? Any basic business course will inform you that loss of budgetary control = a downgrade.

It appears to be part of the basic grouping idea. Waterford is linked to Cork, who have the budget to allocate to the hospitals in its group. I can't see them attempting to shut such a big hospital down and I suspect, as one of the bigger hospitals in the grouping, it will be fairly comfortable. Plus, we have enough influence on the Board to further strengthen our position. That's basic business.
    WRH and RCSI already had the teaching aspect covered, how exactly does the new arrangement benefit the SE region, the teaching aspect sounds like an announcement rather then an advancement - another way of covering up the longterm downgrade of WRH

People were bloody calling for this! The teaching aspect I suspect will be advanced - it retains the agreement with RCSI and moves forward as a teaching hospital. I don't think one agreement made WRH a full blown teaching hospital so my understanding is that the upgrade does just that.

Replacing a limited experienced TD with one without any experience and is virtually unknown outside of anti-government campaigns? Ciara has built up her name locally and nationally gradually in the past two years, she is more known that Ryan. Labour would be shooting itself in the foot replacing with Ryan seeing as they may well struggle in this next election.

Seamus Ryan may stand a better chance then Ciara Conway in the next election - he's probably doing everything he can to up his profile. I disagree that he is that unknown.
    Well if your local reps, the government and the HSE (who don't always see eye to eye the government) are confirming this and you refuse to believe it - than who do you believe? There the people making the decisions. Not anybody else.

HSE is being dismantled because they are useless and have a history of among others giving misinformation.
    The government will spin this to suit their arguement. James Reilly enough said.
    Paudie Coffey can't win on this one - so what else can he say.

Money convinces me - control of budgets convince me. Your sounding like FF with this one - if everyone says it, it must be true and thats just rubbish especially when the people saying it are the groups with vested interests - have we learnt nothing ? James Reilly is still Minister for Health so it appears not!
    It appears to be part of the basic grouping idea. Waterford is linked to Cork, who have the budget to allocate to the hospitals in its group. I can't see them attempting to shut such a big hospital down and I suspect, as one of the bigger hospitals in the grouping, it will be fairly comfortable. Plus, we have enough influence on the Board to further strengthen our position. That's basic business.

James Reilly made the decison and he has been shown to be baised and lacks credibility. The influence on the Board arguement is too short term and again sounds very much like an FF answer.

Businesses don't give away control of their finances - ever. Cork is a competitior in a business sense.

I don't really mind if WRH is downgraded and it results is a service upgrade but I can't see it happening - too much politics involved with the Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Prior to today, WRH was a top level hospital, now it isnt. (couple in Dublin, Galway and Cork remain top hospitals, mid west also seems to be top level in Limerick). How can anyone argue this is good, yeah sure we might get a few consultants to temporarily shut us up. Its exactly same as Unis, all other cities have em and now our hospital is 2nd class too, truly pathetic from the govt

Prior to today, WRH was a top level hospital, now it isnt. (couple in Dublin, Galway and Cork remain top hospitals, mid west also seems to be top level in Limerick). How can anyone argue this is good, yeah sure we might get a few consultants to temporarily shut us up. Its exactly same as Unis, all other cities have em and now our hospital is 2nd class too, truly pathetic from the govt

Very true max. As an aside, I believe the admin structure of the old SEHB is still in KK. Given the reorganisation I would presume there is no further use for it?:confused:

the upgrade does just that.

What upgrade??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

If the hospital is to be downgraded with loss of services-its time for more militant protests-the silent march in november ciara conway was in front of me grinning and laughing walking along-she didnt seem under pressure-silent marches wont get nowhere-I seen from facebook a few days ago a couple of anti property tax protesters occupied paudie coffees office in protest about the property tax-whether one agrees or disagrees with the property tax I think their direct approach they took is better then silent protests and typing angry messages on internet discussion forums- if for definite that the hospital is to be downgraded who here would actually be willing to take direct action occupy tds clinics in waterford or some other form of direct action?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=627448250617014&set=vb.327428877285621&type=2&theater

Am Chile wrote: »
    If the hospital is to be downgraded with loss of services-its time for more militant protests-the silent march in november ciara conway was in front of me grinning and laughing walking along-she didnt seem under pressure-silent marches wont get nowhere-I seen from facebook a few days ago a couple of anti property tax protesters occupied paudie coffees office in protest about the property tax-whether one agrees or disagrees with the property tax I think their direct approach they took is better then silent protests and typing angry messages on internet discussion forums- if for definite that the hospital is to be downgraded who here would actually be willing to take direct action occupy tds clinics in waterford or some other form of direct action?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=627448250617014&set=vb.327428877285621&type=2&theater

It isn't being downgraded. Read the last few posts today in this thread.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Does this also mean that we will never achieve University status at WRC. For the oldest city in Ireland we are being treated with contempt by this bunch of carpetbaggers that are calling themselves a Government, trying to tell us this is a move forward. Its not, what this this is another downgrade of services that we should be retaining as a so called Gateway City.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

2008:

Fine Gael nationally has finally, officially, pledged to join in the fight for a university for Waterford. And its Education Spokesman Brian Hayes promised this week not to drop the cudgel until it is delivered.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

2008:

Fine Gael nationally has finally, officially, pledged to join in the fight for a university for Waterford. And its Education Spokesman Brian Hayes promised this week not to drop the cudgel until it is delivered.

Your sounding awfully like a broken record. Its not like in the past two years nothing has been done. You know this, because you keep bringing it up and I have several times addressed it. Either way, its nothing to do with WRH.

Seamus Ryan may stand a better chance then Ciara Conway in the next election - he's probably doing everything he can to up his profile. I disagree that he is that unknown.

He is virtually unknown. He just participated in a few of the protests / campaigns to increase his reputation. Ciara wasn't very well known either but she has increased her rep.
    HSE is being dismantled because they are useless and have a history of among others giving misinformation.
    The government will spin this to suit their arguement. James Reilly enough said.
    Paudie Coffey can't win on this one - so what else can he say.

I'm not sure what your point is - the HSE, James Reilly and Paudie Coffey are singing from the same hymn sheet: WRH is not being downgraded, the services are being retained and improved.
    Money convinces me - control of budgets convince me. Your sounding like FF with this one - if everyone says it, it must be true and thats just rubbish especially when the people saying it are the groups with vested interests - have we learnt nothing ? James Reilly is still Minister for Health so it appears not!

A board will be established with a CEO managing the group. WRH will have equal representation. I would suspect this will always be the case. If you cant trust your own representation, than WRH having complete control over their budget couldn't be trusted either.
    James Reilly made the decison and he has been shown to be baised and lacks credibility. The influence on the Board arguement is too short term and again sounds very much like an FF answer.

The cabinet made the decision following a report that was not put together by James Reilly. The government were lobbied very hard not just by our TDs but by consultants, hospital staff and the people of Waterford and the South East as a whole. Remember there is a huge difference to what was being reported at the time by various campaigners and what has been decided.
    Businesses don't give away control of their finances - ever. Cork is a competitior in a business sense.

I wouldn't see it like that. CUH shutting down WRH goes against the whole purpose of these groups and wouldn't have a hope of succeeding. But it can't - the board being setup will have equal representation for WRH and I don't think that will change. WRH will always have equal representation, I would suspect.
    I don't really mind if WRH is downgraded and it results is a service upgrade but I can't see it happening - too much politics involved with the Boards.

Its not being downgraded. The main services are still being held at WRH and it will now become a full University Teaching Hospital. I did some checking into the benefits of this new structure, which may I add isn't alone for Waterford.

The RCSI teaching arrangement was not fully developed. There are no professorships based at WRH and therefore it is of limited benefit. A full academic link to UCC medical school means WRH will become a fully fledged teaching arm of this medical school resulting in attracting doctors pursuing their medical careers far easier.

Your sounding awfully like a broken record. Its not like in the past two years nothing has been done. You know this, because you keep bringing it up and I have several times addressed it. Either way, its nothing to do with WRH.

The poster has asked a question. I addressed it. If you don't like it that's your problem. Broken record? Broken pledge more like it.

• Advertisement

The poster has asked a question. I addressed it. If you don't like it that's your problem. Broken record? Broken pledge more like it.

That hurt. That really hurt. :'(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement