Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couchsurfing!!

• 31-03-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

I know this subject has been discussed somewhat before on boards.ie but the posts appear to be over a year old at this stage so would really appreciate any up to date opinions/experiences of couchsurfing particularly in Europe.

I've been looking at www.couchsurfing.org. and it appears to provide a lot of detail about members; hosts and/or couchsurfers. The references provided by other members also give a good idea of what to expect from each host/couchsurfer. But I would be interested what you have to say.

Also if there any solo female travelers out there that tried this out please let me know how you got on!

Thanks
    Happypot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I'm female and have never gone couch surfing but have hosted various people from big groups of girls/lads, couples and solo travellers. I can only speak as a host, it can be hit and miss. I thought it would be a great idea because my OH works away from home for weeks at a time and it would be a bit of company and a chance to meet people. In reality I often feel like a landlady, having to stay in the house the whole time they're there, provide help with their travels (since they're nearly always hitching or roaming about), wash the linen and empty rubbish after they leave etc. I guess that's why there are so many more surfers than hosts.

Don't get me wrong, I've met some really lovely people through it and had great nights out. On one occasion I hosted a girl who I didn't get on with and who I asked to leave. I don't think their ratings system is great tbh, because a lot of the comments are from the person's own friends or family, not necessarily other surfers. And if someone gets a negative review they can just delete the comment or even their profile. My advice would be to only connect with people that have multiple positive reviews. Be a considerate guest, clean up after yourself and don't expect your host to act as a travel guide. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've been couchsurfing since 2007.
    According to the site, I've hosted 28 times and slept on the couches of others 11 times.

Some of my best travel exeriences have been through couchsurfing. It allows you to stay in places where there are no hostels, or with locals who can show your around. Even though I frequently host travellers here in Boston, I wouldn't necessarily advise couchsurfing in a big city... especially on well-travelled trails in Europe. The only bad experience I've had as a traveller was in Odessa, where I could have easily stayed in a hostel instead (and ended up doing so).

However, if you want to go off the beaten tracks, I thoroughly recommend it. I've had great experiences from obscure towns in Sweden, to small-town America, to small villages in Ghana (yes, you can safely couchsurf in Africa too!) It's a very powerful tool, and you can meet some great people.

One thing to be aware of is, if people have a bad experience, they generally don't leave a negative reference for fear of a retaliatory negative reference. Thus, even when reading profiles of people who have only positive references, try to get a general impression based on who is leaving the references.

My advice would be
    - Don't depend on it! Always have an alternative plan in case your host doesn't show, or doesn't match your expectations - even if it's just the address of a hotel.
    - Use your judgement. If you're requesting couches from a specific host, take the time to read their profile, particularly the references, and if you have a positive impression, write a personalized message. If you're making a general post of the type I'd like a couch in this city, it's best to not be too specific in your demands and then use similar judgement on the responses you get. Read the messages and profiles of the people who respond, ideally a day or two after you posted, and only stay with one if you get a positive impression.
    - Be nice to your host. Remember that they offered to host you for free, so try and bring something nice for them, hang out with them, and if they invite you to do something with them, say yes, because it can often be the most genuine experience of that place that you can get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Hi Happypot,

I've the same experience as Truley except I've used couchsurfing to meet up with people in other countries. That has been an amazing experience. They really made my holidays and they've become very good friends. One even emigrated to Ireland after we met up!

I would recommend Couchsurfing for meeting people. It depends on what country/city you visit. Some meet ups were just about single people getting together, others were genuine cultural exchanges.

If you do plan on staying somewhere, be picky. Don't just use it to get a free bed. As a female couchsurfer you will get lots of couch offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Happypot

Thanks all for your response...it's great to get views from all vantage points of couch surfing :) I think it is something I definitely will consider as one of my main reasons for traveling is to meet new people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i hope to try couch surfing this summer aswell. i had a friend that used to do take in couchsurfers, he usually gave them a tour and stuff, seemed an alright idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

TG4 did a series on couchsurfing - http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/o-tholg-go-tolg.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Hi, was considering hosting for couchsurfing but as a female who lives alone wondered if it was a bit of a mad idea? Have a dog and working 9-5 so wouldn't be around molly coddle. It does seem like a brilliant idea though and great way to meet people from different backgrounds. My ex utilised the couchsurfing when he travelled around Europe and had lots of brilliant stories so its been on my mind.
    So just sounding it out as maybe a good/bad idea considering my circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

I used it while travelling through Africa last year and only have positive comments to make. It really does enrich your experience of a place by staying with someone who is from or lives there. I found staying with expats could often be the best, as (1) they know what is like arriving at this new place as a foreigner, but are still in tune with local ways and will have local friends (2) they probably don't have as big a network of friends, so are happy to have some new company.

I haven't hosted and I'm not sure if I would while living in Dublin, for a couple of reasons. (1) I am busy pretty much 24/7 and really appreciate days when I'm not. (2) I find it difficult enough to catch up with all my existing friends and family on a regular basis, without hosting someone. (3) I have the feeling that a lot of surfers would look at using couchsurfing in Dublin, purely as a free bed to use after a night out in the pubs.

That brings me to my main feeling on couchsurfing. It's not about the free bed, or at least shouldn't just be about that. When I have surfed, I have paid for dinner, bought drinks etc. which in the end meant the money I saved by not staying in a cheap hostel was minimal. It is about the opportunity of meeting different people, who know the place you are visiting. It is exciting, because the host may be able to show you the time of your life, or have very little time and leave you to your own devices, both of which are cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I haven't used couchsurfing but I used another similar site a lot between 2005 and 2008 and only had good experiences. However I finally persuaded my husband and we hosted a couchsurfer recently. It was not the best experience, but in fairness I should have known in advance, it's just that we live in a small village in Spain and requests are so rare. Basically this guy was cycling around the world and had been travelling for about 18 months, didn't have any money and pretty much ate everything we had in the house. He wasn't a bad guy, it was just really awkward. I always had the idea of it being give and take but he was all take. If you are a guest try not to be a sponger. Always have a backup, a hostel or something like that. Offer to cook or take your host out for a drink. Try not to just treat them as landlords but try to have an idea before you get there of how much time they'll have for you. Some might be really enthusiastic and want to spend all day with you, show you the city etc, some are literally just offering a place to rest your head. I usually didn't want to stay with somebody who had hosted loads of people, as it seemed like a conveyor belt.
    I met some fantastic people, am still in touch with some of them. One girl I met in 2005, I went to her wedding in Poland a few years ago. Also I'm pretty sure my Russia trip the same summer would have been nowhere near as good if I'd been staying in hostels.

Advertisement