Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drives

Options
  • 31-03-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

anyone see any good deals, looking for 1 or 2 tb, external :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Bizzare, you just posted the thread I had come on here to post. I too am looking for an external hard drive, 1TB would probably do. Looked in a few shops but no great deals, anyone know any good and reliable places online where they could be bought for a decent price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

easons near me had 1 tb external or desktop for €90

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Memoryc.com in Celbridge have a good range. I got a 1TB ADATA with shock absorbing case (in a ridiculous luminous yellow colour) and dust proof socket plugs, for about 80 (it was on special). Its about 90 now, with free delivery. Its USB 3.0 as well.

Link here: http://www.memoryc.com/storage/externalharddrives/1tbadatadashdrivedurablehd710usb3yellowblack.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have been a long time user of WD after researching before that they were one of the most reliable HD manufacturers, just recently upgraded to their 2TB Portable usb powered passport:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-2TB-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B007IA3S22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364804700&sr=8-1

If you're going with Western Digital- the Studio line are far more reliable than the Passport range (having used over 20 of the things). Also- with any external hard-drive, ensure you have the data backed up elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Interested smccarrick, have you had issues yourself in the past with the passports? Reviews seem pretty solid on amazon. I got 2 of them anyway, one will be a back up of the other so I should be safe enough :)

cormie wrote: »
    Interested smccarrick, have you had issues yourself in the past with the passports? Reviews seem pretty solid on amazon. I got 2 of them anyway, one will be a back up of the other so I should be safe enough :)

I had one bad experience personally, and I used work in data recovery, and have seen an interesting number of the things. In most cases I would have seen drives that didn't have a sedentary life on a bookcase (which is probably why I went for the drive with shock absorbers myself).

Normally- I buy an enclosure, icy-box or any of the manufacturers will have a decent one for 20-30 quid, and put the hard-drive in it myself. Marx-Computers used source lots of interesting bits and pieces for me in Germany- though of course they're gone as well now. Wonder where Martin and Rosemary are?

Irrespective of the make/model/manufacturer, I can't emphasise strongly enough how people need to do backups.............

Advertisement