Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved to the USA - My 10 week update

Options
  • 31-03-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

This is my first attempt at writing anything of this nature so it may be completely uneventful but hopefully in the midst of my ramblings there may be some information that’s of benefit to somebody who’s coming here for the short or long term.

To give a little background: I work for a small Irish software company who do a lot of business with the US – well maybe more some than lots. I was in the past travel a few times year to the US for work and after a month long trip here in August, I decided it was the place for me. I found every time I left, I was a little more devastated that the time before. I asked if my company would assist me in my move over and four months later I was in Dublin Airport with a sobbing family and three large suitcase – everything I had in the world at that point in time. I’m in my very early 30’s *cough* and had never had any interest in property so I was leaving commitment free. Australia never held much interest and America was going to be the place for me!

I should point out that these are just my own experiences and may be very different from what others have experienced. I just found a lot of the information I got was confusing or … just wrong :eek:

VISA’s & all that
    My company has a pre-existing E1 visa which meant the process was fairly painless for me, I was actually shocked to be approved while in the embassy. The visa gives unlimited travel rights for the period of the visa and also allows your spouse to come with you and work. The only disadvantage of this versus other visas is that it can’t ever lead to full residency. :(

Social Security
    While I’d heard a million stories of all the things I would need social security for, I was about to get without it:
    • Accommodation
    • A bank account
    • Electricity
    • Gas
    • Phone (PAYG)
    • Broadband

I’ve moved to Boston and based on the advice I was given I waited the 10 days after I arrived for everything “Sync up” – I still don’t know if they was necessary as they re-verified all information again from my landing documentation. I had to give an address (at this time I didn’t have my own apartment so I used a friends). I left the office with nothing except a receipt – the card, a flimsy bit of paper, arrived by post 10 days later. If you’re moving to Boston, the social security off is in the Tip O'Neill building which is right by TD Gardens/North Station. Don’t bring your gun along (they will actually ask you this several times) and bring something to read. I was there an hour which is considered to be very quick.

Your social security number is very valuable here and it is the primary way of tracking your credit history. For the first few months, you’ll be considered a virtual nobody until you start appearing on the systems of the major credit rating agencies. A lot of services (tv, broadband, electricity) may require you to give a deposit to stop you defaulting on payments.

Bank Accounts
    Most Americans seem to be drifting away from the bigger banks but I found going with the bigger ones was easier as they were used to the process of dealing with international customers. Boston is full of foreigners (as you’ll be called) so they are well able to get things rolling. I applied for a bank account on day #2 – with Bank of America - All I needed was a passport and my driver’s license – I volunteered a copy of my visa. Once you have minimum of $2.5k going into your account you get most things for free:
    • Debit Card (with your own pic on it)
    • Checks / Cheques
    • ATM withdrawals
    • Online Banking with Direct Deposits (direct debits)

Otherwise I think it’s about $15 a month for the banking fees. Basic banking is free (no online) if you don’t have that much money going through your account. Using other banks ATMs will be expensive.

I left the bank that day with an ATM card and a temporary checkbook (3 cheques). The personalized card and checkbook came just over a week later.
    It may be a bit of a shock to realize that banking is a little more behind here; checks are still very common, the security of online banking seems less secure, and setting up online payments can more of a nightmare.
    Word of warning – Sending money to Ireland from Bank of America is expensive. The exchange rates isn’t great and there a $35 fee.

Accommodation
    On average, accommodation is A LOT more expensive in the main cities. If you’re buying it’s a lot more affordable but it’s rarely an option for the newly arrived. In Boston, the culture is that rents run September to September so you’ll find the market constantly listing places that are starting September 1st. At other times of the year you’ll be giving the option to rent until September and then renew from there for a full year.

In Boston the letting agents are crazy. Once your names get out there that you’re looking for accommodation, you will get hounded. The main reason for this? On average you’re paying for their service. Typically here, to move in you’ll pay:
    • First Month
    • Last Month
    • Security Deposit
    • Realtor Fee

All of these will generally be a full month’s rent so expect to hand over 4 months’ rent to move in. Some offer reduced deposits etc for those with good credit – again something you won’t have on arrival.

Most people advise you to go via Craigslist to find apartments but I would advise being very cautious. Most of the ads on Craigslist are automatic posts by lettings agencies which are made to look like one off landlords. The process is tiresome and expect the standard of accommodation to be much less than what you would get in Europe. A typical one bed apartment in Boston starts at about $1800 a month.

If you’re thinking of going a little outside the city, which I did, I would recommend starting on the main T line stops of the orange and red. Blue goes to many undesirable places and the green line is extremely slow and gets very crowed. I live on the orange line and despite being 7 miles from the city, it only takes me less than 20 minutes from my front door to downtown Boston. I managed to get a 1 bed apartment in new build complex with standards on par with Dublin for just 1 months’ rent and 1 month’s deposit
    Of the online apps available, I found ‘hotpads’ to be quite good.

Electricity & Gas
    Thankfully these were super easy to set up. The only confusion I have is that both are the same company (a bit like Bord Gais in Ireland). They send separate bills without telling you the service. Gets very confusing trying to pay it without know what it is you’re paying for.

Phones
    I brought my Irish phone with me (unlocked) and just got a pay as you go sim for now. The services are more expensive. Bill pay will generally require a credit check.
    I went with the t-mobile package for $60 a month you get unlimited US calls and texts and unlimited data with first 500mb at 4G speed plus unlimited international landline calls and texts. My phone isn’t 4G enabled but the speeds are … brutal! I’d check online before signing up to any service, different cities get very different reception quality.

Broadband/TV
    You may faint on seeing the prices for these. If there are a few people in the house it’s obviously cheaper but as I live alone I decided to just go for broadband on its own. A basic 20mb down/5mb up package was $35 a month. You get basic cable for free but it’s mostly a new local new channels. I have an apple tv and both a Netflix and HuluPlus account – much better than tv imho – plus I have an iPad so I use airplay on my iPad for the RTE player for shows/matches etc. I use ‘unblock us’ as a service for setting my DNS for Ireland – it now allows you to pick one of 10 different countries. If you’re trying to watch something live on the RTE player make sure to change your iPad time to Irish time ;)

Healthcare
    I’m starting to think it’s cheaper to fly home than to get healthcare here however in Massachusetts you get fine through your taxes for not having healthcare. Expect the minimum month payment to be $250 for a very basic package with a very high deductible – don’t be fooled, this word actually means excess so it’s the amount become which the health company will pay. Doctors are tied to health insurance companies/packages so you can’t just pick at will

Food
    As someone who was used to just eating in restaurants I always thought food here was super cheap – I still think that most restaurants are cheaper than back home but supermarket food is WAY more expensive. Quality meat, fruit and veg are much more expensive. I’m kinda fussy about the quality of my food so I avoid most frozen food but all that stuff seems very cheap but the quality looks to be something awful. Frozen pizzas will be dirt cheap, a good fillet steak will be $14.
    If you’re bothered to shop around you will get good value. Most of the main supermarkets here are the same price (Shaws and Stop&Shop). I’ve heard Market Basket is much cheaper. I’ve made a few trips to the ALDI near the Wellington T stop and it think it’s great value.
    If you want some very good value, I would sign up for CostCo. If you’ve never come across it, it’s essentially like shopping in a cash & carry. Only members can shop there (I’ve made this mistake) and an annual membership costs $55. Everything is sold in bulk but the chicken and burgers there are very good – each is about $20 for giant packs.

Money
    If you’re used to coming here on holidays and now find yourself living here, you’ll very quickly find yourself stopping the exchanging of money in your head. For the first few weeks I keep thinking in Euro and how cheap things where but once you start earning in Dollars that all changes.
    Cash is becoming very rare here because you can use your card for almost any transaction – I got a coffee for $1.60 the other day and paid with card and that’s not uncommon. Also staff in restaurants/bars are used to the process of splitting between 2 or many cards so having cash to pay someone back isn’t a problem.

Things that are oddly cheap

• Off-license alcohol
    • Non brand medicines
    • Crap supermarket food
    • Fast food
    • Electronics – tv’s etc
    • Public transport – costs $18 for unlimited travel

Things that are oddly expensive

• Meat, fruit and veg
    • Services (TV/Broadband/Mobile Phone)
    • Beer – it’s cheaper in shops, about $6 + $1tip in Boston
    • Branded Medicine

Massachusetts has some very weird drinking laws – most bars close by 2am which isn't typical for the US. Most shops DO NOT sell alcohol and its common to find off licenses that sell just beer and wine. However there is no sales tax on alcohol so it’s much much cheaper to buy here. It can just be annoying to get :D

That’s my 10 week update – I’ll pop back again when I’ve figured some more stuff out! Any YEAH for spring :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fair play to you Dan. Best of luck to you. You sound like you have a really good handle on things. However, I'd question your decision to not get health insurance. Yes, it can he horribly expensive, off puttingly so especially if you are a hale and hearty 30 something without a wife and kids. However, most Americans still try to factor having some sort of coverage into their annual budget.

It not a luxury in the US. It is a necessity, as the cost of health care without it are incredibly high. Something simple like a weeks stay in a hospital with a broken leg can leave you with a bill of over $200,000. Unlike the Irish model, hospitals in the US are ran as profit making corporations. They can and they will pursue you relentlessly for every single cent that you owe them. Medical bills are the #1 reason for personal bankruptcy filings in the US.

I don't mean to alarm you, but getting ill or seriously injured is not something that you will have always have advance warning of that you can make plans to travel to Ireland for. Look into getting some sort of emergency coverage. That is what I got when I was between jobs. I was covered for anything catastrophic that resulted in me being admitted to a hospital via the ER, but the day to day stuff, or trips to the doctor if I had the sniffles, I had to pay for out of my own pocket. It was much, much cheaper than full comprehensive coverage & really set my mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Fair play to you Dan. Best of luck to you. You sound like you have a really good handle on things. However, I'd question your decision to not get health insurance. Yes, it can he horribly expensive, off puttingly so especially if you are a hale and hearty 30 something without a wife and kids. However, most Americans still try to factor having some sort of coverage into their annual budget.

It not a luxury in the US. It is a necessity, as the cost of health care without it are incredibly high. Something simple like a weeks stay in a hospital with a broken leg can leave you with a bill of over $200,000. Unlike the Irish model, hospitals in the US are ran as profit making corporations. They can and they will pursue you relentlessly for every single cent that you owe them. Medical bills are the #1 reason for personal bankruptcy filings in the US.

I don't mean to alarm you, but getting ill or seriously injured is not something that you will have always have advance warning of that you can make plans to travel to Ireland for. Look into getting some sort of emergency coverage. That is what I got when I was between jobs. I was covered for anything catastrophic that resulted in me being admitted to a hospital via the ER, but the day to day stuff, or trips to the doctor if I had the sniffles, I had to pay for out of my own pocket. It was much, much cheaper than full comprehensive coverage & really set my mind at ease.

This isn't exactly true. You can always go to your county hospital. A lot of Americans do this.

Also, a lot of Americans who don't have health insurance use the ER as their gp. Yes it's ridiculous. But they have to treat you and it ends up being a write off. Part of why health care is so expensive. The accounts departments end up inflating other things to compensate for this. A Pennsylvania fireman explained to me how this works because he says they regularly get called out as taxis to bring people to the hospital.

I grew up entirely without health insurance btw. I was lucky I was healthy. My dad had very good health insurance but they refused to pay the hospital after he died and tried to land me with a 60K bill. Good luck to them with that.

You have to be careful with insurance some of them are just scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

ProudDUB wrote: »

I may have confused you all with that .... I have health insurance :) I'm just in the process of getting it sorted now. I wouldn't risk not having it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Also, a lot of Americans who don't have health insurance use the ER as their gp. Yes it's ridiculous. But they have to treat you and it ends up being a write off.

Yes, but what happens when you do that is that the hospital will try and get the money from you, then they'll send the "debt" to a Collection Agency, which will then come after you by interfering with your Credit Rating. The Hospital may write off the debt in their taxes the next quarter but the Collection Agency will come after you for years. (7 years?).

Your "Credit Rating" is like your your Honour in the US. With a bad credit rating you will have difficulty renting an apartment, you'll get crappy interest rates from your bank (if you can get an account), you wont get any credit cards either, which makes it harder to reestablish "good" credit. Its possible to live with a Debit card though.

Also its Big Business in the US (yes, even the religious non profit hospitals), so you've got to get through the money people before you even get treated and they're not going to be happy with people using them as a gp.

Its only a law that says they have to treat people that prevents them just turning you away. You sometimes hear horror stories about uninsured people in ambulances being shuttled from hospital to hospital and given excuses why they cant be admitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Just seconding InTheTrees.....as far as the damage being passed to collections can do......the bank that I work for check all new account applicants, and if there are any delinquencies on their record, we will not open an account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks for the update Dan. Would you consider doing a blog with a weekly update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Great info and glad you landed on your feet when getting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I found some of the things to be quite different from your experience.

One of the things people should be aware of when moving to the US is that it's a huge country!
    What's normal in one state is not in another.
    What's cheap somewhere could be expensive elsewhere.

Definitely research before you go.

California Dream, could you write something comparable?

Sure. I'll be able to put something up over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I found some of the things to be quite different from your experience.

One of the things people should be aware of when moving to the US is that it's a huge country!
    What's normal in one state is not in another.
    What's cheap somewhere could be expensive elsewhere.

Definitely research before you go.

That is a brilliant piece of advice. What is normal in San Diego, may not be so in New York. What is normal in Texas, may not be normal in Seattle. My sister and I lived on opposite coasts of the US for many, many years. The societal, cultural, political and economic norms for me, were often very, very different to what they were for her & vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

I should point out that these are just my own experiences and may be very different from what others have experienced. I just found a lot of the information I got was confusing or … just wrong :eek:

TBH I was just trying to write something as I saw it, not lay down the law for how everyone should live in America. :D I'm still very new to it all and wanted to impart a few bits and pieces of personal experience. I should have also pointed out that I'm a complete over planner so most of what I wrote I think I'd done within the first few days :o My plan was to update as I go - I haven't really gotten very far with credit ratings etc

Hopefully a few people can chip in something similar and we can get some really good info together! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Three storys about health insurance.

A lady i work with owes $40k to a hospital,She is paying it back at $25 a month.

I also work with a girl who used to work in the accounts department of a large hospital.As long as you make some type of payment weather that is small or large,legally they can not touch you and this will hold up in court.

An English guy i work with his mother was dying of cancer here and the bill from the hospital was $70k. Once they found out they had no insurance they dropped that figure to $20k they settled at $14k.

I've just copied danindudlin's points to give you a view of my experience.

I live in Vegas. I've been here a few years now. I wanted to move to California but due to the high cost of living there I decided Vegas was good enough for me.
    It's close enough to drive to California for weekends but I get the low cost of living of Nevada.
    There are no state taxes in Nevada so it makes a big difference on your paycheck.

VISA’s & all that
    I won the Greencard lottery. I think I've posted about my experience of that in the megathread already. Basically, it's a long and expensive process but it's worth it.
    I can apply for citizenship after five years, or try to renew the GC after 10 years.
    I can live and work legally and it doesn't really affect me in my daily life compared to being a citizen.
    That said, I will apply for citizenship.

Social Security
    I brought my GC and passport to the SS office here. Applied on a Friday and got the card less than two weeks later.
    We were in the country two days when we applied and were staying in a hotel. They used the Social Security office address for us and we could go back to pick it up.
    We didn't wait in the office very long as far as I can remember.

Bank Accounts
    I went with Chase Bank based on a recommendation. I've found them excellent as a bank.
    The girl was really helpful when setting it up. I think we used my brother's address to send out the debit cards to, but can't really remember.

I also set up an account with US bank as they do secure credit cards. That's basically where you give them a set amount (we gave $300) and they give you a credit card for that limit. It's perfect for trying to build your score over here. Buy something small and pay it off once a month.
    I don't like US bank and have closed my account since.

My score is building. I'ts really good right now. You can tell by the amount of credit card offers you get in the mail. :)

One thing to look for is how well your bank serves other areas. Places you may live in or visit in the future need to be considered. You get charged twice using another banks ATM. Once by your bank and once by the bank you're using.

Accommodation
    Accommodation here is fairly average. We got a 2-bed apartment in a gated community for $909pm.
    We had to pay a $300 security deposit, as well as an additional $600 since we had no credit. We also had to pay a 'pet fee' and 'pet rent' per month.

We got a 13 month lease. With that we got one month free rent which we used over the year. So we paid $849 I think per month the first year.
    The pet rent is supposed to be per pet. It was $25pm in our complex which was included in the $909 figure. We have two pets but the charged only for one. Water/sewer/trash was also included in the $909 figure.

In the complex there is a small gym, racquetball court and swimming pool open year round.
    Nearly all apartment complexes have a gym, couple of pools and tennis court or something.

Our place was maintained really well and we were happy with the guys there. They were pretty quick for repairs and pest control was free.
    I saw one cockroach on the whole grounds in two years.

Our rent was slightly on the higher side but we got a spacious apartment and management were decent to deal with.
    You can get 2 beds for about $750 average. Stay away from anywhere cheaper!

Edit: Wanted to add, that it's very rare to find a place furnished. Moving in you'll have a fridge, cooker, washer/dryer and maybe microwave. You need to buy everything! Craigslist is key when you first get here.

Electricity & Gas
    These were easy for me to set up as well. We paid a small deposit (maybe $80 each) which was refunded through our bill after a few months of on time payments.
    Gas ranges from $20-$30 per month. Electricity is $30-$80 per month. Air-con is on all summer so it spikes those months.
    Overall, I think they're cheap compared to home.

Very easy to switch addresses too.

Phones
    We bought a $10 phone when we got here first. It was a PAYG, but it was awful. After a month we got a rolling contract phone from T-Mobile. It was about $50 each per month.
    Now we're on contract phones and pay $60 each for minutes/texts/4g.

I definitely find mobile phone plans expensive here.

Broadband/TV
    We have tv/internet/home phone all in one. It cost $140pm.
    It's basic tv but has all the channels we watch. Our phone is never even plugged in. It's just cheaper to have it on the plan than without.

Our broadband is really good. I don't know what the exact speed it but we've never had an issue.
    There's not contract with these services so we can cancel or change anytime.
    They're good for matching prices or giving you discounts to stay.

Healthcare
    Healthcare sucks here! We're so spoiled in Ireland and don't even know it.

If you get full time over here nearly every employer offers 'benefits'. Basically medical/dental/vision.
    It's considered almost as part of the wages.
    Getting your own coverage here can run from $100-$1,000 a month. Get something.

Food
    Eating out is definitely normal here. It's cheap and quick.
    Supermarkets are good though.

Most places here have a rewards card. But it's not like Tesco where you can redeem points after you earn them. On a lot of products there's a 'without card' price and 'with card' price.
    It can save you so much on your bill.

To me, most of the stuff is the same price as home. The differences to me are:
    Bread - never buy a sliced pan here. Horrible stuff.
    Produce - fruit and veg here is delicious. Ripe and varied and pretty cheap. Tomato's are oddly expensive though...
    Meat - there's not a lot of butcher shops here and the ones that are here often have frozen stuff. Not sure why.

Whole Foods is delicious if you can afford it.
    Fresh and Easy is owned by Tesco so we can get a lot of Irish/English products too.
    Also, Kerrygold is sold in a lot of places. Yum!

Money
    Card is definitely King. I think in $$$ now. Stuff is still pretty cheap compared to home but not as cheap as it seems on holidays.

At petrol stations though it's nearly always cheaper to pay in cash. Also diesel is more expensive than petrol.
    Speaking of, petrol here is high at the moment at $3.65 per gallon. :p

Things that are oddly cheap

Alcohol
    Petrol
    Restaurants
    Buying cars
    Gas and electricity
    Electronics

Things that are oddly expensive

Cinema
    Mobile phone bill
    Banking
    Duvets!

Drinking in Vegas is 24 hours. Both a good and bad thing. Many times I woke up the next day (or same day rather!) after getting home at 10am and wishing they had kicked us out.
    You can get alcohol anywhere at anytime. Fremont is relaxed about their open container laws and it's really fun to go there.
    Best thing about Vegas is not having to worry about entertainment for visitors. :D
    Life here is nothing like you see on the Strip. If you're local you stay away as prices are insane and service is better off the strip for locals.
    We get discounts on everything here though which is great. Plus nothing better than going to Lake Mead on a hot day and renting a boat. Cooler packed and you're good to go.

Weather here is gorgeous. We have two seasons (which I love) - hot and not as hot. :D
    Honestly though, it gets cold November - February.
    March-May and September-October are pleasant. Hot during the day, cool at night.
    June-August is heaven for me. Coldest it will get at night is probably 30 Celsius.

I love the choice over here for everything. Plus they have better football facilities than we do and they don't even like the sport!

TBH I was just trying to write something as I saw it, not lay down the law for how everyone should live in America. :D I'm still very new to it all and wanted to impart a few bits and pieces of personal experience. I should have also pointed out that I'm a complete over planner so most of what I wrote I think I'd done within the first few days :o My plan was to update as I go - I haven't really gotten very far with credit ratings etc

Hopefully a few people can chip in something similar and we can get some really good info together! ;)

I understand, and I was pointing it out so someone reading it understood exactly that this was your experience and not something to be expected everywhere in the country.

So I also wanted to add points about two other topics. Driving licence and jobs.

Driving licence
    We went to the DMV a couple of weeks after getting here. Brought passport and greencard again.
    We filled out the application and then immediately we were sent to a room to take the theory test. We were taken aback thinking it would be a couple of weeks like at home.
    It's 50 questions and you need to get 40 right. Most are obvious but some are US specific and then state specific which I had to guess on. Use your skip button!
    You then queue up to get your photo taken for the provisional and you get a temporary piece of paper. You're actual licence takes about 2 weeks in the post.
    You make an appointment for your driving test there and then if you're successful.

Driving test is pretty easy. But you need to have your own car and it needs to be insured. Weird getting insurance without having a licence or the car registered yet.
    Test was about 20mins driving around. It's straight forward blocks over here so easy enough. But know about local driving laws, turning right on red etc.
    Back at the centre you need to parallel park in a huge space! Easy.
    If you pass you can retake your photo if you wish and again will get the licence in a couple of weeks.

Jobs
    We looked for any job when we first got here. Just wanted money coming in. Everything is online. Search every company website and apply.
    We got a p/t job within a month. I got a f/t job in 2 months. Not sure if it was lucky or not but I've got every job I've had an interview for here.
    They do background checks on you for everything and possibly a drug test. The process takes a while but not much to it.

Get money coming in at first and then start looking for where you want to work.

Taxes are a mystery to me but most people will be able to give you advice on what to do with your W-4. If you're worried you can choose to take an amount out of your paycheck, like $10, and then when you do your taxes you shouldn't owe.
    Employers send out what you need and there's booths everywhere during tax season to help you.
    But it's pretty simply to do it yourself on turbotax.

Thanks CaliforniaDream (NevadaDream). Very informative.

Maybe others who've moved over could contribute their experiences in the first couple of months & this could become a sticky for those going.

I've spent a lot of time in the US over the years and one very obvious important thing was the Irish Network.

Knowing there's other boardsies in certain areas could be a big help to some.

I'm going to be applying for the DV this year, have a young family so it's a big decision but it would make a huge difference to us in terms of earning advantages over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Healthcare
    Healthcare sucks here! We're so spoiled in Ireland and don't even know it.

I think it's important to be specific about this.

Health insurance in the US sucks.
    Healthcare in Ireland sucks.

Generalizing, of course.

For the most part, the standard of care in the US is amazing. From trauma centers to cosmetic surgery clinics, and everything in between, the resources, training and organization is decades ahead of Ireland.

The health/insurance/pharma/PEO 'industry' in the US is designed so that large companies, lobbyists and politicians make a lot of money. That's priority #1. So the while the level of care, speed of response, etc. can be remarkable, the cost would make your eyes bleed (there's probably nearby a surgery center to fix that too).

Some random thoughts:

When I moved here in 1997, my girlfriend was working in a large children's hospital. They had 3 MRI machines. At the time, the whole of Ireland had 3 MRI machines. In 2005, she was ECMO certified. They had 3 ECMO machines (basically pediatric breathing/bypass system). ECMO has only been available in Ireland recently, which mean kids no longer have to be flown to Sweden or the UK.

I had a severe shoulder injury in 2011. Between the surgeries and physio, the total bill was over $100,000. My health insurance only provided 20 physio sessions. I needed more. 30, I think. The bill for the additional 10 was on me. I negotiated with he clinic and ultimately told them I would not pay the billing rate - I would only pay what insurance had reimbursed for the previous visits. I can't recall exactly what % insurance was reimbursing - perhaps <20%, but that's what I paid. It ended up being ~$600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

VISA’s & all that
    My company organized the whole thing. We came in on an l1a visa, an non-immigrant, dual-intent visa. This means that I have the right to apply for immigration, and will not be stopped when I choose to do so.

The process is the same as all visas - DS-160 and an interview. We did ours at the Madrid Embassy, approved on the spot and passport and visa arrived that afternoon.
    My wife came in on an l2 visa allowing her to work once she had her EAD sorted.

Social Security
    We waited the 10 days and went to the SS office in San Mateo where my company temporarily put us up.

The cards arrived about 1 week later.

Bank Accounts
    We applied for bank accounts on day 2 in the country. All they asked for were our passports, visas and another form of ID.
    I also applied for a credit card and was granted a full one based on our savings that we lodged into a savings account. This was not a secured card but a normal one.

Credit starts to build as soon as you have SS and bank account linked. 6 months in, I have 700 rating with 3 lines of credit (2 cc's and a car loan)

Accommodation
    Expensive as hell in San Francisco. We were in temporary accommodation for 3 months to get ourselves settled. We had to be prepared to move very fast. We saw a place we liked in the city, and 4000 in a cheque later, we had the place.

You need to bring with you references from employers, something that says your yearly salary on it as well as anything else that shows you are responsible.

The rent is 2540 a month for 2 bedroom house in the Sunset area of the city, with parking in the garage

Electricity & Gas

Pretty cheap - in california they are run by the same crowd PG&E. We pay between 50 and 70 a month

Phones
    we both have iPhone 5's. $110 a month, plus $200 deposit each that will come back to us. We have 4G LTE coverage. We also have an iPad mini as an add on to our bill for $15 a month
    Internet/cable
    We went with comcast, 20mb d/l and full cable as well as european sports channels for 120 a month. My company subsidizes this to 100 a month, so we win :)
    Healthcare
    Subsidized to hell by my company. We are on the highest tier (lowest deductable and still costs us 180 a month) Haven't had need to use it, but all my co-workers speak very highly of the corporate scheme
    Food
    Depending on where you go it an be ok or bad.
    Trader joes is great for pretty much everything you need. We tend to spend around 130 a week in here for the 2 of us, and top up in safeway for things you can't get there every 2 weeks or so (cleaning supplies etc).
    Good meat is expensive as is good veg and fruit
    Wine is pretty expensive, but we moved to the US from Spain where wine was 5euro a bottle.
    Domestic beer is pretty good, especially from the smaller breweries.

Money
    Card is king, i rarely if ever need cash on me (only in bars etc). We have a debit card and credit card, both are acceptable pretty much anywhere.

Weather
    It's California, but not as you know it. October/November are summer here in the bay area.
    November-> March it rains and is pretty humid
    Apriil/May->September - cold and foggy in the city, hot hot hot in the valleys to the south and East of the city.

Sort of like Ireland, but not as depressing.

Driving licence
    I had to start from the bottom - i never learned to drive. I went in, did my 50 questions, passed with flying colors.

3 driving lessons later I passed my driving test

My wife had a spanish license. She had to do the same as me, as the european drivers license cannot be ported over.

Jobs
    Didn't matter for me, i came for a job. My wife had to apply for an EAD but her situation is pretty unique as she is a doctor, and so is able to get a visa on her own steam. She is in process of completing this now

Taxes
    Complicated, as I arrived in October and so was not a tax resident for 2012.
    My return will be submitted May 31st as Dual resident. Tax year 2013 will be my first as tax resident.

My company organized taxes for last year, but next year will be getting a CPA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

VISA
    I had been with my company for 10 years and the opportunity came up to move to a country of my choice. The L1 visa was arranged by my company and the standard process took a couple of days before we got our passports back. My wife has a L2 visa.

Social Security
    I was on a 2 month ‘loan’ from the Paris office so there was no rush to get this done. When I did thought it took a 10 minutes at the SS offices and the card arrived 5 days later. My wife had to wait a little longer as we had been married in France and they needed to get the marriage cert translated first.

Bank Accounts
    I waited until I had by SSN before applying for a bank account. The Internet recommended Capital One as they have a very good secured credit card which I knew that I’d need to build up my credit score. The ‘interview’ was painless and I walked away from the bank with a temp. debit care and 5 cheques. They did say though that as a non-citizen I wouldn’t be entitled to any ‘points’ programs that normal customers could take advantage of. I’ve been back to the bank once since then to have my wife added to the account and do most of my business online (their app is pretty good) though my landlady requires a monthly cheque and a book of 100 cost me $30 to order. I need to have a balance of $750 to avoid any charges.

Accommodation
    we were put up by my company for 3 months in Manhattan, giving us the time to find our own place. We had already chosen Brooklyn before leaving Paris and when my company put us in contact with a realtor we already had a shortlist of places that we wanted to visit. The second place was perfect and we signed the lease about 3 days later.
    Everything went pretty smoothly but mostly due to having rented countless times before and owning our own place in Paris we have learned what a landlord requires. I have an uncle in Boston who acted as a guarantor but it wasn’t required as my salary was more than 50 times my rent which in NYC is often how a landlord will choose between potential tenants.
    Since then we’ve had 2 weeks in December without heat and 2 weeks in January without hot water. The downstairs neighbors complained to the city, the landlady was fined $5000 and now it turns out that their lease isn’t going to be renewed and they had 4 weeks to leave.
    I pay $2400 monthly for a 500sq foot, 2 bedroom rooms. The last tenants used to pay $2100 and the next people to move in downstairs will have to pay $2500.

Electricity & Gas

I had never paid attention to how much it cost me in France and I’m pretty much the same here. I use what I need and pay for it. In NYC power and gas aren’t cut off when you move out so it makes it easy for the next people moving in. Electricity was switched to my name with a 5 minute phone call and gas was done on the Internet. I pay both by direct debit.

Phones

My wife has a pay as you go SIM that she put in to her unlocked phone from France. She pays AT&T about $40 monthly for her needs (500Mb of data and 100 minutes of calls to Europe)
    I work for a telecommunications company and so have never had to pay a mobile phone bill so I can’t speak about value for money. I pay $110 monthly with T-Mobile for an unlimited package (national + international calls, texts + uncapped LTE data connection 5mb down/3Mb up). I have though been in parts of the US where T-Mobile didn’t have much of a presence and lost signal.

Internet/cable
    In NYC you have very little choice as to who you get Internet from as it depends on which company has ‘cabled’ your apartment. The dreaded Time Warner Cable was our only option without going for a wireless/mid-band option. I pay $65 a month for a 30Mb connection with no phone or TV channels. You can pick up free to air channels (NBC, CBS, etc) with a standard antenna and I use a VPN service to access BBC Iplayer and other UK content. we both have International mobile packages to phone home. I also have a Skype number in Ireland for people who want to call me. My family can call a local number in Ireland which rings my Skype account on my phone and/or PC. The call forwards to my mobile should I not pick up on Skype.
    TWC’s customer service is one of the worst I have ever experienced. In the first week of service my speeds were always fine but packet loss was terrible, up to 20% loss out of 200 pings. It took weeks of calling before they sent someone out who spent hours tracing cables through other people’s houses and fixing what he could. I still get the odd loss but it’s nowhere near as bad as before.
    I design call/contact centers for a living and TWCs standard of customer service was baffling. I can live with the T1 technical asking you the usual questions every time that you call them (Have you tried turning it off and on again?) but in order to transfer my case from T1 to the T2 helpdesk I was asked to write down my case number and call a new telephone number and give them my case number when (if!) they pick up !!!

Healthcare
    I work for a French company and so by company policy are entitled to many benefits that I would get if I was living in France. I used to pay $75 monthly in Paris and now pay $100 for what I’m told is the same level of service. I have yet to actually use it in practice but I’m told that it is very good.

Food/Drink

As someone else said, the cost of good quality food, at least in New York, is surprisingly high. Trader Joes and Wholefoods have wonderful produce but you won’t have a lot in your bag after handing over that $50 bill. So we do our regular shopping in more ‘general’ supermarkets and we have a butchers and grocery/vegetable store on our street where we try to shop local. But there has been countless times that I’ve cooked a meal only to work out that it would cost us the same had we had just ordered take-out!
    Living in NY you can find pretty much everything that you could wish for as long as you can afford it. From wonderful French cheeses to Brennen’s bread (yesterday’s bread today!). The craft domestic beer choice is amazing and there are a lot of bars that have a constantly changing selection of beers. Across the road from my flat is The Double Windsor with 15 craft beers, 3 or 4 changing weekly. Pints in these places can cost about $4 or $5 during happy hour (usually from 5-8) and $6 or $7 outside of HH times.
    What I often prefer though is the more local, long-time established places that don’t serve Gastro food and I can sit at the bar and read a newspaper without too much noise (I’m getting old!). There are 2 other bars within 2 blocks of me and in both of those I get buybacks meaning that for every 2 or 3 drinks I buy, the bar offers me a free one. Pints are $4.25 and I usually leave the 75c as a tip.

Weather
    NY can be hot and cold but what I’ll miss when I leave here is the sun and the amazing amount of light. People complain when there’s been 3 days in a row of cloud cover but don’t mind as much when the temp drops to -10c in January.

Driving license

Never had one and never really wanted one until I moved here and say the enjoyment on my wife’s face driving from Texas to California. I’ve taken the written test and plan to get lessons and a license before the summer.

Visa
    Won the DV 2010 lottery.Interviewed Jan 2010 in Dublin,Went on vacation for a month in Aug 2010 to activate it.
    Returned to Ireland to sell up and moved out for good Aug 2011.

Accommodation
    Moved over a week before the family came.Rented a motel room.
    I had already researched the complex that we want to move into.I had already been in contacted with them while in Ireland.
    An apartment was not available at the time so i rented a 2bed 2 bath fully furnished vacation apt they have for the firtst month until our Apt was available.$1785 mth

This was actually good as it gave us time to look and purchace furniture which we had none of.
    Moved into Apt payed first and last month rent of $2400,Pet fee $300 and a $1200 bond.This was alot but as you dont have any credit history this is more than likely to happen.

Car and Insurance
    Payed cash for a car $9000 and before this got quotes from differant insurance companies.Geico was the only one that sounded reasonable and i payed $1850 for the first year as long as with in a month i changed my licence over.Went into the DMV,sat the writen test,was waiting for my cert when they asked if i would like to take the driving test.Did the driving test and got my licence in the post two weeks later.

Work
    I didn't gain work until late Nov 2011,but my wife got a part time job to help out.

Insurance
    I work for a large blue box home improvement store and i currently dont have insurance.Our group rate would cost me about $320mth for my family(Me,Wife,Son)
    for a copay 500.Dental and vision is extra.

Weather
    Well living in Florida so that pretty much sums that up.

Food and Drink
    Meat and Veg Def more expensive.

Drink and most other foods alot cheaper.

Thats about it.

Just to add

TV Internet
    I have verizon and the cost is about $140mth for an ok package.

Cell phones
    Both have ipone 5 with sprint.Unlimited data etc for $179mth

Power
    Power ranges depending on the time of the year.$110mth in summer and about $65mth in the winter.A/C in summer is pretty much running 24/7

Rent
    My rent with water and trash was $1276mth for 2bed 2 bath 1150sqft Apt in Gated community with pool and gym in complex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Damn ye all with yer gated communities, swimming pools and gyms!!!

Stupid Boston renter's market! I pay a ton for a small, old apartment in Cambridge!!

Hazys....lol

Yeah i def moved for the lifestyle.Siesta Key beach where i live is one of the best beachs in the U.S and in the summer the water is blue crystal clear and 85-90f.Its like stepping into a warm bath.
    I couldn't move to a place in the States that has all the months.Yeah it does get really hot in the summer but your not going to be working outside unless your a landscaper or something.Everywhere has A/C and the only time you actually sweet is walking from your car into the shops.I went down to the pool the other day and got quite sunburnt...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

Visa
    Moved with work in 2011 on an L1. Ended up having loads of hassle due to the dimwit immigration attorney who was filing my petition.
    Had already sold our house and told everyone we were moving when I got hit with a Request For Evidence from the USCIS folks.
    Cue 1 month of late night calls with attorneys manager and send off paperwork & evidence, all the while not knowing if I'd be rejected or not.
    Got accepted in the end and getting the visa in the embassy was a formality. Although I was pretty nervous until I had the passports in hand.
    I got 3 out of the 4 passports back on time, but 1 of the kids ones only came back 2 days before we were due to fly.

SSN
    On our way out of Dublin, the immigration officer never put an expiry date on our I94's. So we had to get that sorted.
    I then took 2 months from applying to get our actual SSN's - which caused quite a bit of hassle.

Banking
    I work for a very large company, so it was very smooth as the bank they deal with is used to handling foreign transfers (employees). Was preapproved for a car loan (although I couldn't get it without my SSN).

Accommodation
    Had temporary apt for 2 months then we bought a house in the district we wanted. Stressful enough process as they are a lot stricter than I remember them being in Ireland when it comes to how much money they'd give me for a mortgage. Love the house, but it's expensive to maintain a wooden house compared with regular brick houses.

Car and Insurance

I thought the insurance was pricey enough at first, but I've gotten used to it now. Bought an old Nissan sedan when we got here with a car loan from the bank to get my credit score started. Still have that and now we have an SUV on lease. Never would have considered leasing before moving here.
    Driving test was the easiest thing I've ever done. Quick spin around the town while the driving test lady chatted about the area. Very friendly. Scored 94/100 and only lost points due her distracting me so much with her yapping! :)

Health Insurance
    We have pretty extensive coverage, so I don't need to worry too much. Which is good considering the amount of times I've had to take the kids to the hospital so far. :mad:

Phone/TV/'Net
    Have 2 cell phones from ATT for me & the missus for about $160 pm. Loads of minutes that we never get close to using, unlimited data and texting. Didn't bother getting a home phone.
    Have basic cable and fast internet from Comcast for about $60 pm. Use Netflix & Amazon a lot, but need the cable for sports & The Walking Dead. :)

Weather
    Pacific North West. Expected it to be solid rain and darkness but it's actually better than Irish weather. Not much wind, so the rain doesn't drive into you. Summers are awesome. Proper seasons.

Food and Drink
    Find most of the chickens you buy in the supermarkets to be very fatty. Hard to get quality meats without paying a lot. Beer is cheap & plentiful though and eating out is also good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Visa
    My partner got a H1B with a large company here. I went working for a different company on the 12 month J1 after college, which led to a H1B. I found both visa processes very smooth. I was able to adjust my status from J1 to H1B so didn't have to leave the country to change the visa, but I went home for Christmas so just made an appt to visit the embassy to get the new H1B in my passport while I was at home.

SSN
    Visited the office in Seattle a week or two after I arrived, had my SSN by the time I was due to start work. (I arrived 30 days before my job start date).

Banking
    I am with BECU here, I find them pretty good. I had to have a US form of ID (state ID), my SSN and my Irish passport when signing up.

Accommodation
    Depends on the area. We previously lived in downtown Seattle, which was fantastic but the rent/parking space rent was insane and increased every year. We moved to the eastside last November for a bigger place and cheaper rent. We'd like to buy eventually.

Car and Insurance/Metro
    I don't drive right now but it's on my to-do list (I have my permit). I have an Orca card which is a pass for the buses, ferries and rail in Seattle. I commute to the city every day, bus pass for the month is about $90.

Health Insurance
    Got this and dental insurance through my employer. Excellent coverage.

Phone/TV/'Net
    Currently I have a line on my partner's plan, we are both AT&T and bills work out at around $70 each per month.

Weather
    I can deal with the winters/autumn because its kind of like Ireland but mild. Downtown tends to shut down if they get a lot of snow (none this year). Summer is amazing though. Last summer was my first here and it was fantastic! Temps were between 20 and 30 celcius. Can't wait for this summer :)

Food and Drink
    The variety here is fantastic and can be reasonably priced. Particularly enjoy the mexican and asian restaurants here. We joined Costco and do our big shops there, Safeway for the milk\bread top ups

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

Visa
    Food and Drink
    We joined Costco and do our big shops there, Safeway for the milk\bread top ups

:)
    Reminds me of the first (and only) time I bought milk from Costco. Couldn't pour from the carton without spilling it everywhere due to a combination of the size and the design of the lid/opening thingy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread is amazing for anyone thinking of moving to the States!

A couple of people mentioned going over without jobs - was that because you'd won the green card lottery, or did you chance going over on another visa to look for work when you got there?

Faith wrote: »
    This thread is amazing for anyone thinking of moving to the States!

A couple of people mentioned going over without jobs - was that because you'd won the green card lottery, or did you chance going over on another visa to look for work when you got there?

Unless you have a job or have won the GC lottery, you can't go and hope for the best.

The Visa waiver program can't be "adjusted" to any other type of visa, so the people in this thread either went over on H1B, L1 or won the green card lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I am jealous of all of you with great employer paid health insurance!

I came over without a job, on a spousal visa. Just starting to look now, 4 years later (had little kids).

silja wrote: »
    I am jealous of all of you with great employer paid health insurance!

I came over without a job, on a spousal visa. Just starting to look now, 4 years later (had little kids).

Actually, I should have added - that you can also come over on a spousal visa :)

As for jobs, I don't know where you are, but here in the bay area they are pretty easy to come by. A work-mate of mine who transferred over at the same time as us - his wife got her EADS on a Tuesday morning, started as an office manager the next Monday as a temp, and two weeks ago got made permanent with all the benefits. She had no degree, just some experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm due to graduate next year with a science degree from NUI Galway. I've been on holidays to the USA loads over the years and I've always thought id like to live there. I have a lot of family there and they all love it and have really nice lifestyles.

Is there anything that I could be doing now that would possibly make things easier for me should I decide to make the move after I graduate? I'm talking about things you guys had to do that made you think "damn, I wish I had sorted this out before I decided to emigrate", or any other advice at all that you guys could give me. Great thread btw.

Advertisement