Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dial 999 and get sued

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

She's suing the police over a crash last year when she was pursuing another vehicle,this woman is watching too many 'where there's blame,there's a claim' ads.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305077/Now-WPC-tripped-999-collect-sues-force-prang-panda-car.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

zerks wrote: »
    She's suing the police over a crash last year when she was pursuing another vehicle,this woman is watching too many 'where there's blame,there's a claim' ads.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305077/Now-WPC-tripped-999-collect-sues-force-prang-panda-car.html
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/06/article-2305077-19239E41000005DC-967_306x554.jpg

If anyone should be sued, it should be her fashion advisor. Put me right off my Sunday morning fry-up :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Cagney or Lacy would never trip over a kerb.

She's a total chancer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

The thread title is pretty stupid to be honest. He was not sued for dialing 999. He was sued because someone was injured on his property. Her job is irrelevent. She was invited onto his property and, as such, he owed her a duty of care. If he failed in that duty he should pay the consequences. If he did not fail in that duty he will not have to pay. And if he is found to have failed in his duty she will likely lose part of her compensation for her own actions and failures which contributed to her injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

SB2013 wrote: »
    The thread title is pretty stupid to be honest. He was not sued for dialing 999. He was sued because someone was injured on his property. Her job is irrelevent. She was invited onto his property and, as such, he owed her a duty of care. If he failed in that duty he should pay the consequences. If he did not fail in that duty he will not have to pay. And if he is found to have failed in his duty she will likely lose part of her compensation for her own actions and failures which contributed to her injury.

She. Was. A. Police. Officer.

It's a police officers job to protect the public. Geez man, listen to yourself. Thats like a fire fighter suing you for rescuing you out of a burning building because lets say he hurt himself kicking the door down.... its madness mate!!!

She. Was. A. Police. Officer.

It's a police officers job to protect the public. Geez man, listen to yourself. Thats like a fire fighter suing you for rescuing you out of a burning building because lets say he hurt himself kicking the door down.... its madness mate!!!

Fireman do indeed sue the owners of buildings. And sometimes the owners of a burning building get prosecuted for the deaths of firemen.

Try listening to yourself. What part of being a police officer absolves people of having a basic duty of care to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

SB2013 wrote: »
    Fireman do indeed sue the owners of buildings. And sometimes the owners of a burning building get prosecuted for the deaths of firemen.

Try listening to yourself. What part of being a police officer absolves people of having a basic duty of care to you?

Basic duty? She tripped over a kerbstone! sounds like she wasnt looking where she was going.

But you say "basic duty to take care" - so what is her job? Her job is classed as "basic duty to take care of the public" - Look this isn't some tradesmen who comes into your house and has an accident. We all know the score there. But a member of the emergency services.

This is just the sue culture gone mad. What next, if you tell me to fuck off I can sue you for "mental distress" :pac:

Basic duty? She tripped over a kerbstone! sounds like she wasnt looking where she was going.

But you say "basic duty to take care" - so what is her job? Her job is classed as "basic duty to take care of the public" - Look this isn't some tradesmen who comes into your house and has an accident. We all know the score there. But a member of the emergency services.

It's the same thing. Same rules. If she tripped over a kerb out of clumsiness she wont get anything. If she arrived on the scene in the middle of the night and he said "Quick they are around that corner" and failed to mention a large kerb then she might have a case. Like i said, you owe a certain duty of care to anyone on your property, no matter what they are doing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

There is however widespread abuse with regards to people ringing for an ambulance via 999 instead of a calling a taxi, getting someone to drive them to hospital etc.

Calling an ambulance when not an EMERGENCY and or/ courtesy of the Medical Card is a crime imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

999 what's your emergency ,
    I'm getting burgled intruder is in my house ,
    OK have you carried out a health and safety inspection
    Ehhhh help I need the police
    We will send a health and safety officer first to see is its safe to deploy a police officer please have your insurance details at the ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

looks like the officer just wants abit of extra cash
    she wont win the case :) unless the judge is bribed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    looks like the officer just wants abit of extra cash
    she wont win the case :) unless the judge is bribed....

Courts paid out 20 million to UK police officers last year for personal injuries alone ,
    Its a safe bet she would get a hefty payout

Gatling wrote: »
    Courts paid out 20 million to UK police officers last year for personal injuries alone ,
    Its a safe bet she would get a hefty payout

Would that not be from compensation schemes for people injured on duty by malicious acts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

HondaSami wrote: »
    How dark was it? it could happen to anyone, he should not be relying on lights across the street.
    Bear in mind he works there so is familiar with the surroundings, she is not.

Are you for real? Christ almighty. What is wrong with people? I wont even bother going into detailed arguments with that kind of attitude.

The world is going insane and there is actually people who think its right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Boskowski wrote: »
    Are you for real? Christ almighty. What is wrong with people? I wont even bother going into detailed arguments with that kind of attitude.

The world is going insane and there is actually people who think its right.

Sky news reported this and there was plenty of light,just the fact she wasn't looking where she was going caused her to trip,judging by the pictures of her she was well padded anyway so the ground was in more danger than she was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement