Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ohms and volts, Confucius, explain to me like I was 5

Options
  • 31-03-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm confuzzled about ohms and volts and probably all in between. I may as well be that n00b vaper that asks.

I see low resistance atomizers on some sites, what exactly does this mean? I'm thinking it means they can be used at higher voltages than standard ohm variants? Or do I have it are-backwards? For some reason, low ohm = better at higher volts springs to my mind. Maybe I read that somewhere?

I have an ego twist, and all i know is that it works best on the clearomizers I have, all standard, 2.5 ohms I think, at 3.7 - 4.2 volts. Beyond that I get burning, foul taste. So I assume if I wanted to go to 4.8 volts, I'd need a low resistance atty?

Can anyone clarify this please? :)

I ak more because I'm looking at a Lambo, which goes to 6v. What atomizers would take full advantage of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

In simple terms, the lower the ohms, the lower the voltage you need to get the same effect as a higher ohm with higher voltage.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Cheers:

Ok, so, with a LR ato', you get a good whack at lower volts? How come though, that my 2.5 ohm carts burn beyond 4.2? I need higher?

What do most use at 6v for example? I've seen some reviews where they were at 9v!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, you have it back to front.

Basically, low resistance atties for lower voltage devices, higher resistance for higher voltage.

For instance, a Boge LR is around 2 ohms and runs at ca.4v. That gives (4x4)/2=8 watts. A Boge standard resistance is around 3 ohms and if that was run at 4v you'd only get (4x4)/3=5.3 watts. So you'd need to be running at 4.8v (4.8x4.8)/3=7.7 watts to get the same vape from a 3ohm......Generally I think 7-8 watts seems to be around most people's sweet spot.

I'm sure Grindle can explain it better....

Thanks, I should look to 3ohm carts/clearo's?

Personally I find the clearos give a burnt taste be it low ohms at low voltage or high ohms at higher voltage, my theory is the wick cant keep up with my vaping style-chain vaping like a motherfo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

For 5v or greater you'll need 3 ohm yeah. In fairness though, the heat of the vape will be the same using lower res/lower volts as higher res/higher volts but the battery will last longer at higher res/higher volts.

Cheers lads, think I'm kinf of getting it now ;)

I find clearo's burn more than they should too, I tend to vape heavy, long and many puffs in short time.

What would marry well with the likes of a Lambo? Looking at this kit here:

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/25-lavatube-vx-full-kit.html

Cheers lads, think I'm kinf of getting it now ;)

I find clearo's burn more than they should too, I tend to vape heavy, long and many puffs in short time.

What would marry well with the likes of a Lambo? Looking at this kit here:

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/25-lavatube-vx-full-kit.html
    Personally I would prefer the vamo over the lambo, the vamo has more features.
    You have to buy batteries and charger separate with the vamo, which works out a little bit more but you end up with a better quality product.
    Shop around, TBS, ESI , vaperus, bargain vapour, etc.
    Try and go for the ss vamo if you can!

I also looked at that, hmmmm, decisions! Will go look again ... :D

On the Vamo: Does this charger do 18350 batteries?

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/chargers/214-nitecore-intellicharge-i4-v2-charger.html

as it doesn't list them, but does 18650. Just thinking, if I went with the Vamo I'd like both 18650 and 18350 batteries. To have that option of downsizing the unit. I see it charges AA batteries too, which would be great for me as my camera flashes use rechargeable AA

Also, vivi nova, a good choice to match up with it?

• Advertisement

Not sure but I presume it would. That charger is kinda top of the range. A double one might do. Check out the prices at ESI, with the 'boards' discount you might save a few quid.
    Bargain vapor have a good deal on the evic atm.
    Personally I prefer the look of the flat top devices with large attys, tanks, etc. on top.
    Actually reading your post again, that charger might be very handy for your camera batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It will charge them, yeah. The metal part you can see in the middle of it has a spring-action, pulls back to fit 18650s.

The Vivi is loved by many but you'll get much the same wicking problems or burning at higher heats as you would with any clearo.
    The Innokin iClear16 and 30 should never give a dry hit because they're riddled with wicks. They're meant to be dual coils but apparently they don't like heat much either. One guy on UKV said they tasted burnt at what is a pretty low voltage for dual coils.

I'm on UKV too :) Probably asking the same stuff as here, guaranteeing an answer ;)

I'm looking at a zmax now :rolleyes: does it ever end!?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

I have an ego twist, and all i know is that it works best on the clearomizers I have, all standard, 2.5 ohms I think, at 3.7 - 4.2 volts. Beyond that I get burning, foul taste. So I assume if I wanted to go to 4.8 volts, I'd need a low resistance atty?

I wont go any lower than 2.4 ohms with the twist.Its just doesn't perform (for me anyway) at a low resistance.

I don't have any tanks that are low resistance, so not got to to try it out that way. But I am loving the twist for my Mt3 and evods. Comfortable at 4 - 4.2, and really nice vape. So much nicer than the ego C standard atomizer body + carts . I hate those, they constantly leak and burn for no reason.

This is why I'm now looking at Vamo or Zmax mods. Or just get a few more twists?

Gone for the Vamo in the end, cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Good choice! You won't be disappointed with it.

Gone for the Vamo in the end, cheers all.

I'll be interested to know how you get on especially as you're upgrading from the twists.I've heard nothing but good things about the Vamo.

If you get carried away with we'll re-name it the Vamos!

sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Vamo is good if you get the small 18350 battery for it, otherwise with the 18650 battery it's MUCH bigger than I was expecting moving from a eGo twist to that. You think an eGo Twist is big when you first saw it right? The Vamo in 18650 mode is that x10. It's good for home use but I'd look at something else (like your eGo twists) for out and about.

Ah yeah, it'll be strictly for home use. Ive no problem using the likes of the twist with an MT3 on there when out. I used it inside the O2 at Biffy Clyro :) got a few funny looks from the security, had to explain to one guy what it was. He was intrigued, but said 'puff away so'

• Advertisement

We need to show more people our devices and get them on the vaping bandwagon so we have more power in numbers when the govt state trys to rob us of our rights.

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Vamo is good if you get the small 18350 battery for it, otherwise with the 18650 battery it's MUCH bigger than I was expecting moving from a eGo twist to that. You think an eGo Twist is big when you first saw it right? The Vamo in 18650 mode is that x10. It's good for home use but I'd look at something else (like your eGo twists) for out and about.

Cheers dude.I just get this niggling feeling that when I do get whatever upgrade I decide on,something superior will come out.:mad:

Was asking GrimmGreen(we go way back)about an upgrade from the eGo's and he mentioned the iTaste SVD.He also made a very valid point in that there's no perfect mod(they're not even mods-not real mods).You choose the one that you can put up with the best.

Is there a significant difference between the Twist and the Vamo?- performance wise.Would you say your vaping has become a lot more enjoyable or just a little more...

Just a little bit more. At first I thought wow yeah cool. Then I went back and tried the Twist again and I realised the Twist is actually really good too. Which is why most of us here recommend that setup as something you can happily stay on.

I just like the fact the vamo is easier to adjust the power on because of it's two buttons and screen, the fact it's variable wattage (not voltage) and you can screw big tanks onto it without it looks daft.

I was actually planning to order a couple more twists and another charger when I decided on the Vamo. Weighing them up, the Vamo with a battery and charger isn't all that much more, so I thought I'd give it a go. The twist is very good, I just feel mine runs out quicker than any of my other ego type batteries, but it's probably more so because I'm messing about with the volts. Where the plain ego and LCD types remain at 3.7[?] or so. I've been using the twist at 4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Limerick city can be dangerous...I was in the market for a telescopic steel baton, when I came across the Vamo, for an extra couple of quid, I can deal out punishment protect myself in variable voltage or wattage.

Not that it's needed, but it's nice to have the option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Slap on the head with a Evic would leave a nice mark too, very solidly built.

Speaking of which, on the Evic it has Watt or Volt mode.

Are the two the same? as in 4V is the same as 6.4 watts, when I switch between the two modes these figures swap.
    But it should be the same vape amount correct?

I'm using the watt mode on the Vamo since I got it, and it's been firing nicely. I've used all 3 coils that came with. Actually forgot that I'd switched to the 1.8 ohm coil at one point and still had it firing at 8 watts - no problem. In watt mode it seems to auto-adjust the voltage for you. I'm liking that. I have, of course, lowered that since noticing my school boy error ... d'oh - but if I'd been in volt mode I'd have been firing the thing at 5v or something, wondering why it was burning!

Wattage ftw! :)

Advertisement