Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foster dog - how to manage

• 31-03-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody and happy Easter.
    I have Jago cross breed setter 6 months old.
    He is well socialized and very nice with all the dogs.

Today I went to take a female of labrador / golden retriever from a friend, she is 6 months old, because he has big problems at home and cannot manage etc etc..
    Taking her just for a while and have to find her a new place..

Anyway..

I went to the place of this friend and they were playing all happy.
    We went in the car, one in the crate and the other one out.
    And now we are at home.
    They are playing but she seems a bit stressed by Jago that is playing a bit hard on her..

Do you have any suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you have a crate or could you section off an area for her so she can have some space from him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

but would not feel bad him or jelaous if I put him in a crate?

how can they be dangerous one to the other? they are both 6 months old.. she seems to be the boss now to be honest :S

Ok for the night at the end I've left jago sleeping with me as usual..
    I've put her in the crate in the same room with us as she was crying..
    It went all ok I must say.

Now we will go for a nice walk.
    Then I've decided to leave her in the garden and Jago in the house when I will be out for a while.

I think they are playing to understand who is the boss? A bit hard though..
    She seems to be the boss and Jago more submissive..
    The problem is that they are both young and with a lot of energies.

Any advice is welcome, then I will need also advices to rehome her :S

I am doing training with both, she is lovely!!

Pics!!! Just supervise the play - they're both puppies so should be able to find a balance easily enough. My retriever's best friend is a setter :D

• Advertisement

I'll post pics now, not easy to take them :P
    We went for a ride in the car and a walk on the beach, they are very nice outside, playing together but not hard, coming back when called walking together on leash etc etc
    Now we are back home and they seems to be more quiet, maybe a bit tired, maybe used one to the other.
    Let's see how is going but I love them!
    I was just a bit worried and wanted to do the right thing!

8609059649_03e44b7935.jpg
    marley di jago&Coo, su Flickr

^^ O M G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT A PUPPY!!! :(

She is beautiful!!
    I think will be difficult to rehome her... for me!!!
    Now I will start writing to some places ... I think she deserve a good place where a person can give her plenty of time and train her properly.. but she is very intelligent!!
    Now they are sleeping tired... let's see in one hour, I hope they will not start to play hard again!

Should I separate them if they play too hard?
    Now it's clear that she is the boss.
    When she is annoyed she just growl and put him down and he cannot move until she decides.
    When they were playing outside it was running and playing.
    In the house it's more jumping on each other and biting each other showing a bit the teeth, but doesn't seem serious.
    For example, Jago was digging (sigh) a hole in the garden, big one :P now when they go out she goes to the hole and he cannot go there anymore.. :(

But then they were sleeping together, tails up wagging to each other etc etc..

Sorry for all the details, I've had dogs but never two together so young!

• Advertisement

Tbh it sounds like everything is ok but just keep an eye on them to be safe! Having a pup around the same age and size for him to play with will be great for his bite inhibition.

Thanks for your answers :P

an example of them playing in the beginning the growl..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=rMfdhXtIiGM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

They are beautiful and she's a real stunner. Looks like you have everything set up well; just supervise them in case one gets too much of an upper hand, and make sure shelter (crate, quiet corner of the room) where they can withdraw when they get tired or annoyed.

They slept tonight in my room with me... without crate!
    Playing a bit then turn off the light Jago on the bed and Marley on the floor.
    And this morning kisses and now playing in the garden.

This morning I'll go out for few hours. Not sure if I should leave them separate or together..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Going by your video they're getting on great. There's lots of give and take on both sides in the playing, but she does seem to be the slightly more dominant of the 2. As long as she's not being too aggressive with him, they'll be fine. Walking the 2 together is a great bonding exercise all round too. Also don't feed too closely to one another either. Let them have their space when eating as this can be a major instigator of aggression in dogs, even ones who know each other well.

Perfect thanks.
    I feed them in two different rooms, just because jago is slow and she will eat his food.
    She is for sure more dominant. My sister is at home with them and she said that she is taking toys / stuff from him... (I've tried to hide all the toys to avoid fights, but the can always find something to play with) and he is not reacting at all.
    The opposite if she has something she is guarding and growling, but Jago is nice and accepting :)
    I left them few hours alone but in different rooms, just to be sure.. I will monitor a bit more but if they are good like they are doing now maybe I will leave them together?
    They seems to be good friends anyway, the thing is that Jago has much more energies and jump and run around her a lot :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My God, she's a puppy? She's huge (and gorgeous, as is Jago!)

One thing I would say is teach them a command that you can use to stop the play if and when you need to (if you felt it might be escalating at all), my two will go hell for leather with each other in the kitchen, all playing but as soon as I say 'ENOUGH' loudly and firmly they will stop, just if I feel it's getting a bit too boisterous and someone/thing is going to get squashed/banged into (ie me or the cat)

I find with my two that where the male is dominant in certain areas (for instance he has to get out of the door before her and in the door before her, she now stands back and lets him out cos she doesn't care!) but she will be dominant in other areas (although I can't think of an example at the moment!) but they mostly live in peace and harmony.

Good luck with rehoming, it will be hard it sounds like you might be leaning towards keeping her...??!

thanks for all the advices!
    Yeah I know it will be hard to rehome her..
    I would really like to have two dogs.. but as Jago is 6 months old I was thinking to take the second later.. in about one year.

I wrote to many charities and association but I got no answer.
    The owner is waiting for some answer.
    I don't know if I should post here, I am really scared that she could end to the wrong person :S :(

I am wondering sometimes if she is really 6 months old.
    She has adult teeth and I think she could have some health problems. It seems she cannot jump on the bed or a bit slow on the stairs :(
    I am not sure where the owner bought her, he said she was born in september and he got her in january with all the papers (that I haven't seen yet).
    Maybe he has been victing of a scam?

I was thinking to bring her to a vet on friday, just to check that everything is fine and to see if she has problems to her back or displasia or things like that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You said in the opening post that she is a labrador/retriever. she looks like a pb retriever to me, and you say she has papers? she would only have papers if she is a pedigree, not a cross. There is a specific rescue in ireland for golden retrievers, I'll pm you with the details, hopefully they could help with rehoming her.

ISDW wrote: »
    You said in the opening post that she is a labrador/retriever. she looks like a pb retriever to me, and you say she has papers? she would only have papers if she is a pedigree, not a cross. There is a specific rescue in ireland for golden retrievers, I'll pm you with the details, hopefully they could help with rehoming her.

sorry she should be a golden retriever and was sold as pedigree..
    I wrote labrador / retriever because I was not sure :P
    I will look at the papers and ask here as soon as I get them..

• Advertisement

Has the owner tried to contact the breeder? Reputable breeders are often willing to take care of the dog to rehome him/her and they like to keep tabs on what's happening to their line in general.

Do check her hips but don't worry just yet. Perhaps she was not allowed on the bed/upstairs or was living in a one level house? It took a while for my dog to adjust when we moved to a two storey house. He still does a near faceplant sometimes.

mhge wrote: »
    Has the owner tried to contact the breeder? Reputable breeders are often willing to take care of the dog to rehome him/her and they like to keep tabs on what's happening to their line in general.

Do check her hips but don't worry just yet. Perhaps she was not allowed on the bed/upstairs or was living in a one level house? It took a while for my dog to adjust when we moved to a two storey house. He still does a near faceplant sometimes.

I'll ask him... I have my doubt that it is a serious breeder, but maybe I am wrong!
    What you think about a vet check in general? Maybe I'll wait few days more to see how she gets on..

new video :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LR1aC4bC5Y&feature=youtu.be

before I did a mistake, groarr at me..
    I came back from work and was all happy to see them..
    they jumped on the bed and she unfortunately gave him a bite.. a bit strong.. but ok no blood..
    Jago was all depressed and I said her NO serious..
    I know it-s my fault should not have done that..

You were right, she needs to know her boundaries and have a safe word such as "no" or "stop".

A vet check is a good idea, but wouldn't have her previous owner had anything done? No need to vaccinate or worm her twice!

You were right, she needs to know her boundaries and have a safe word such as "no" or "stop".

A vet check is a good idea, but wouldn't have her previous owner had anything done? No need to vaccinate or worm her twice!

She had all the vaccinations he told me.
    He will give me papers..
    He bought her on donedeal or buyandsell for 150 euro..

Yeah I am now stopping them while playing and let them play again, so maybe the will learn I am the boss always!!
    :eek:

Perhaps your vet can pull the records from her previous vet then? She may have been looked at with regard to her age/hips also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Perhaps your vet can pull the records from her previous vet then? She may have been looked at with regard to her age/hips also.

Unlikely if they paid 150 euro from done deal, I would have thought!

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Unlikely if they paid 150 euro from done deal, I would have thought!

Sadly I agree. Wondering if the vaccinations happened at all, but if they did it's worth checking!

She might just be a big retriever - some of them are huge compared to others. There was a 6 month old one at daycare and he was bigger than my guy @ 12 months lol! They look like they're playing well together - she backed right off in that last video. Jago looks knackered with all the fun he's having lol :)

• Advertisement

ok got more information..
    I have the papers.. I cannot really say much about them because it's the first time I see those papers.
    There is name of the breeders the registration number and the microchip number.
    She was born 15th of september.
    My friends said she came with the vaccinations done.. so I don-t know.
    I'll ask the vet what to do I suppose..
    maybe someone that it's able to undertsand the certificate / moderator could pm me I could send via email?

Advertisement