Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thats me sorted... now to sort out the parents setup!

• 31-03-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

With thanks to all on here and the others over at the XBMC forums... my own living room HTPC and the Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc in the bedroom are both running like a dream (many, many long hours on the Pi - but its worth it)

But i am somewhat stuck on my parents setup so am looking for a bit of help...

I bought them an Iomega Screenplay plus 1TB about 3 years ago and all is well (even though it is useless - but it does them fine), but the Iomega only likes AVI and the odd MP4, but because of new file formats - MKV and MP4 new codecs - the Iomega is not wanting to play these at all... so when i send a movie to my father via usb key to put onto his iomega it show the dreaded "file invalid" message.

I will reuse the 1TB hard drive in the Iomega, but need to find a media player for him that will play anything/most things we throw at it.

Before anyone says build a HTPC for this project... its a no go as my father would not be any good with pcs in general and i wont be close by (they live a good bit away) to help him if it gives trouble... so i just want a remote controlled media player with TV connections (composite is a must as he doesnt have a HDMI TV where it is going) i can either plug a usb hard drive into or place inside it if its something like an enclosure.

Any ideas on this one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just get a drive caddy for the drive. You may as well hold out for the Ouya now, see what it offers http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/ouya-launch-date/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Might get an Ouya for myself! :D

Would be no good for the parents though... believe it or not... they dont even have broadband! - They are kind of old school! they rely on the tv news and buying a newspaper for their news and information! :D

Hence why i need a stand alone solution. What kind of drive caddys/media player would you recommend?

The Ouya will have usb, it will not need an Internet connection after you download and install XBMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Cheers for the info.

Anything i can get my hands on now though? looking to sort this within the next couple of weeks when i visit them next.

I hear great things about the new Roku, but it's probably overkill, why not just get a WD live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

friend of mine has this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Nano-3-0-Flashdrives/dp/B005ERNITE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1364894326&sr=8-4

as basic as it gets....he uses it for the kids programs and watching his own tv shows and movies....seems to do the job for him 100% and plays every file thrown at it...use the av connection for composite

Advertisement