Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've decided to run a marathon...

Options
  • 31-03-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

This was back in October. I hadn't run in over twenty years. Downloaded a 'Couch to 10K' app and began following it. I soon realised that I wouldn't have enough time to follow the entire app and then start the marathon training so I binned it shortly after I'd covered eight miles in 80 minutes doing the run, walk thing. I joined a crowd who were also training for the marathon on Sunday mornings and threw myself in at the deep end and ran 12.2 miles on my first day out with them. The next weekend it was 13.3. The next was 15.5 and the next was 16.2. I then missed three weeks of long runs for various reasons and only managed one 4.5 mile run in between. Fast forward to today. Having not run for two and a half weeks and three since the last long run, I covered 18.5 miles today! :D

On the downside...I think I've knackered my knee. I hobbling around the house...and another thing...I appear to have chafing on my ballbag! Any ideas guys?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

So...no ideas?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Errm - use bodyglide on your bits. Then get a physio to look at your knee or at the very least ice it and rest it.
    I'm training for my first marathon and I think the most basic thing you will need is consistency of training. You don't give many details for people to help you. What pace were you running at for the long runs. If you're taking off with a group who are consistently training and you expect to keep up with them you're bound to get injured... I don't think you can just dip in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

A lot of missing information;

Were the long runs your only training or were you doing runs between weekends?

The 3 weeks of long runs you missed for various reasons.....were some of those "various reasons" to do with injury?

How much have you done recently and how did you build up to running 18.5 miles (apart from not running at all for the previous 3 weeks - what were you doing 3 weeks ago and for how long had you kept it up consistently?)

Seriously sounds like you've been asking for injury and you've jumped way too far in milage way too quickly - and one run in 3 weeks ain't gonna cut it - or even one run per week for that matter

Beef wrote: »
    Errm - use bodyglide on your bits.

What kind of shops sell that? Supermarket or chemist?
    Then get a physio to look at your knee or at the very least ice it and rest it.

The rest appears to have worked :)
    I'm training for my first marathon and I think the most basic thing you will need is consistency of training. You don't give many details for people to help you. What pace were you running at for the long runs. If you're taking off with a group who are consistently training and you expect to keep up with them you're bound to get injured... I don't think you can just dip in and out.

I'm probably not being consistent enough. Pacewise, I'm running at around 9.30min/mile.
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    Were the long runs your only training or were you doing runs between weekends?

Some weeks I was doing around four or five miles twice a week in between. Some weeks I wasn't...
    The 3 weeks of long runs you missed for various reasons.....were some of those "various reasons" to do with injury?

No, I was working very long hours and had family commitments.
    How much have you done recently and how did you build up to running 18.5 miles (apart from not running at all for the previous 3 weeks - what were you doing 3 weeks ago and for how long had you kept it up consistently?)

Seriously sounds like you've been asking for injury and you've jumped way too far in milage way too quickly - and one run in 3 weeks ain't gonna cut it - or even one run per week for that matter

Previous to my two and a half week break, I would have been out three times a week - two short runs and a long run. As I said above, the rest seems to have sorted my knee. I'm going out this evening with a couple of fellas to do 10/12 miles and I'm supposed to be doing another 18 miler on Sunday.

Oh...and thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement

I covered eleven miles last night. I had no problems with my knee or chafing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Very good - are you doing everything at the one pace? Are you following a plan?

Bodyglide you will get in good running stores or online at amazon.co.uk. Price around because it can be expensive.

Very good - are you doing everything at the one pace? Are you following a plan?

The long run on Sundays is usually at around 9:30 min/mile. I didn't time last night but I reckon it was quicker as the guy I was with is generally in the lead group on a Sunday morning...and, no...I'm not following a plan. Can anyone point me in the direction of one? I'm out with a crowd on Sundays and next week will be 18 miles, then 20, then a half marathon, then another 20, then 18, then 16, and finally down to 12 the week before the marathon. I've no idea what I should be doing in between the Sundays though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Penfailed wrote: »
    The long run on Sundays is usually at around 9:30 min/mile. I didn't time last night but I reckon it was quicker as the guy I was with is generally in the lead group on a Sunday morning...and, no...I'm not following a plan. Can anyone point me in the direction of one? I'm out with a crowd on Sundays and next week will be 18 miles, then 20, then a half marathon, then another 20, then 18, then 16, and finally down to 12 the week before the marathon. I've no idea what I should be doing in between the Sundays though!

I was going to say its a bit late for a plan but here you go anyway: http://halhigdon.com/training/51135/Marathon-Training-Guide

You should check up about nutrition and hydration for the big day as well

Ran my longest run to date on Sunday - 22 miles :eek: Time to taper. 18 next week, 16 the following week and then 10/12 the week before the marathon. Everything seems to be going to plan. Had a poor long run last week though...I was meant to run 20 miles but had to bail out after 16. I was beat. I think I ran out of fuel (mentally and physically). Glad to get the 22 mile over me on Sunday :)

• Advertisement

Tried the gels for the first time on the eighteen mile run last Sunday...brilliant! It was almost a sprint finish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Penfailed wrote: »
    Tried the gels for the first time on the eighteen mile run last Sunday...brilliant! It was almost a sprint finish :D

Don't forget your salt/electrolyte tablets for the big day as well.

Only two weeks to go! Ran fifteen this morning. I can't wait for the big day :D

Two sleeps until the big day! :eek:

Advertisement