Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help training bichons

• 01-04-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I've just got two bichons 8 weeks old I've bought a crate and puppy training mats is it ok to put them both in the same crate? One already peed in the crate I cleaned it but is it ok to put them both in there at night? Any tips or advice welcomed thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

They well be fine in the same crate at that age but dogs like people need their own space so you will need to sort that out.

Take them out often so they can do their poo and reward/give a threat when they do so.......so they know that is where they poo.

Are they both from the same mother.?If so it can make thing harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Dodd wrote: »
    They well be fine in the same crate at that age but dogs like people need their own space so you will need to sort that out.

Take them out often so they can do their poo and reward/give a threat when they do so.......so they know that is where they poo.

Are they both from the same mother.?If so it can make thing harder.

Yes they both from the same I only wanted one but my granny wanted the other but changed her mind after they were bought suppose its nice they still have each other I'm sleeping in the living room with them tonight so I can hear if they cry ill try leaving them both in the crate tmrw night thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bichons, for some reason, cannot be housetrained properly unless you spend half your life with them.

They are very young to separate from their mother at 8 weeks, that mothering period should be 12 weeks with a proper breeder, but if you ever let them get used to the house you are in a whole heap of trouble long term.

Take the hit, crate them, and let them get used to it.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Bichons, for some reason, cannot be housetrained properly unless you spend half your life with them.

They are very young to separate from their mother at 8 weeks, that mothering period should be 12 weeks with a proper breeder, but if you ever let them get used to the house you are in a whole heap of trouble long term.

Take the hit, crate them, and let them get used to it.

I didn't know 8 weeks was too young?

They will be living indoors so can you explain what you mean by 'used to the house'?

What if they go toilet in the crate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You need to be taking them out a lot so they get used to going outside.
    Get rid of the training pads. They only confuse pups.
    At 8 weeks they cannot hold it so will just go whenever they need to so it's up to you to bring them out to go to the toilet as often as possible.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    You need to be taking them out a lot so they get used to going outside.
    Get rid of the training pads. They only confuse pups.
    At 8 weeks they cannot hold it so will just go whenever they need to so it's up to you to bring them out to go to the toilet as often as possible.

I'm concerned about taking them outside as they haven't had the last vacc yet don't have a back garden only front one but other dogs are always passing by!

Advertisement