Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3: Episode 1 * Have NOT read the books/SPOILERS**MOD Note Post#1**

• 01-04-2013 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Well that was awesome :D

The Unsullied, Mance, Giants, White Walkers, Warlocks, Ghost, Barristan Selmy, Bronn....

So happy this is back...

MOD Note: Welcome Back All!!!!

Please take a moment to read the following:

Just a reminder regards spoilers, Obviously if you are reading the thread before seeing the show you are asking for trouble however there should be absolutely no spoiling of future episodes within a previous ones thread.

There really should be no need to discuss books here, really if it needs the book to be referenced then the writing of the show isn't up to scratch, be very careful about referencing the books, especially future events, bear in mind people watching the show may be reading the book themselves and will want to find out in their own time what the differences are show vs book.

Another issue that crops up is people with knowledge of the books or have read wikis etc posting spoilers in the form of speculation, anyone found doing this will be dealt a lengthy ban, it's not smart or clever so take it to the HAVE read the books thread to have your say, fair warning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Really? I thought it was trying to fit far too much into the first episode of the new season.
    It was OK but no where near as good as most of season 2. I knew they'd try to cram a lot in but was too much.
    I do like the angle that Lady Margaery is bringing about, though Cersi definitely sees straight through it,
    Maybe I'll give it a second watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

The return of Barristan Selmy was good, but Giants?! I love this show :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I didn't think it was that busy an episode to be honest.

It was just setting things in motion for future episodes.

Giantsbane seems well casted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, that kind of observation definitely belongs in this thread...

It was an okay episode, a bit slow and sprawling, although I did enjoy the fantastic scene with Tyrion and Tywin. Also the scenes with Dany and her dragons and later the unsullied were good, because you got a sense of the plot being advanced, as opposed to most of the rest of the episode feeling merely like groundwork.

The re-introduction of Selmy was cool, if a little cheesy. It's nice on the rare occasions that you get to see characters from completely separate story lines crossing paths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

lafors wrote: »
    Seriously dude, why even mention Walking dead, there are probably going to be people, like myself who haven't yet watched WD but come in here.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Very very pleased with that episode although Im dying to catch up with the lives of some people we didnt see, like The Hound, Jaime and Brienne, Arya etc...

I guessed from the Season 3 trailers that it was Harrenhal that Robert and Catelyn were in with all the dead bodies, nice way to show Tywin Lannisters absolute iron fist.

Loved the re-introduction of Ser Barristan Selmy. And I loved the Unsullied, they look amazing. I was falling around laughing at the stuff Kraznys (the slaver selling the Unsullied) was saying to his translator.

I though Jon Snows voice sounded a little bit funny? Also laughed a lot when he threw himself to the floor with "Your Grace". Tormund Giantsbane looks amazing too.

Although there was a lot packed in, overall I thought it was a great episode, a look at where things are at and scene setting for where things are presumably going.

I enjoyed Bronn too, he has no fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There was a lot in that episode, the only character/storyline of note that wasn't addressed was Jamie Lannister's story and Arya's situation (IIRC?!).

I can see Tyrion betraying his family at some point, they all treat like him shít. Eventually he'll sell them out surely? It's funny how we saw a more softer side of Tywin in the scenes with Arya last season, but apart from that he seems a cold blooded ruler.

Also, was the actor that played Lucius Vorenus in that tent scene? Between himself and Ciaran Hinds, it's a Rome reunion! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

There was a lot in that episode, the only character/storyline of note that wasn't addressed was Jamie Lannister's story and Arya's situation (IIRC?!).

I can see Tyrion betraying his family at some point, they all treat like him shít. Eventually he'll sell them out surely? It's funny how we saw a more softer side of Tywin in the scenes with Arya last season, but apart from that he seems a cold blooded ruler.

Also, was the actor that played Lucius Vorenus in that tent scene? Between himself and Ciaran Hinds, it's a Rome reunion! :p

Don't think it was the guy who played Lucius,his name is Kevin McKidd. Good opening episode, Sansa is still an uptight little cow, the Unsullied scene was great looking forward to seeing them again. Wish Tyrion would stand up to that bastard family of his, I missed Varys he is great comic relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

And Theon Greyjoy

duploelabs wrote: »
    And Theon Greyjoy

Oh yes, last time we saw Theon he was making a resounding speech and then getting clobbered by one of his own men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I thought it was great. Left wishing it would keep going and going. I don't think I have a single criticism of the episode.

I don't think I have a single criticism of the episode.

My only criticism is that I have to wait a WHOLE WEEK to see the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Letsdoit

Thought overall was a good intro for the season. What was the girl at end??

Letsdoit wrote: »
    Thought overall was a good intro for the season. What was the girl at end??

Sent by the warlocks of Qarth, not sure how clear they made it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Fantastic new episode, i'd actually forgotten how much I love this show. Havent read the books so got no idea whats going to happen next, and I'm loving it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great to see it back; but if I had one complaint about things in general, is that it wouldn't harm the show if at least some vaguely moralistic or noble characters existed, it does feel a bit tiresome & predictable when new characters turn up and ... oh gee surprise, they're horrible. Well that or they're just sneaky and manipulative if they happen to be born on the other side of the divide. I'm thinking specifically of these Unsullied & the slave owner. Killing babies and slicing nipples off; it's all just a bit too unsubtle sometimes & it'd be nice if they didn't try so hard.

I know the whole point of the show is that it's the Game of Thrones, everyone's a sneaky so & so, and those caught in the Games wheels get ground into the dirt, but just once it'd be nice if hey, here's character X, they're getting by and generally allright. When everyone in the show is either the corrupted or doing the corrupting, it gets difficult to care about these charcters at all.

Sure, you can come at the subject a different way - introduce an initially repugnant character like Tyrion and build layers of empathy around him - but you're still back to the idea that ultimately this isn't a good man & he's not out to make the world better for anyone, least of all his immediate family (understandable that may be). Arguably the only nobility (in the traditional sense) is Rob & Danaerys, though both are still conducting (glacial in the case of Danaerys) power-grabs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Great to see it back; but if I had one complaint about things in general, is that it wouldn't harm the show if at least some vaguely moralistic or noble characters existed

Ser Barristan Selmy, Poderick Payne, Davos Seaworth, Arya Stark, Bran Stark, Catelyn Stark (actually all the Starks!), Daenerys Targaryen, Jeor and Jorah Mormont, Aemon Taragaryen.... I could go on but you get the idea.
    Sure, you can come at the subject a different way - introduce an initially repugnant character like Tyrion and build layers of empathy around him - but you're still back to the idea that ultimately this isn't a good man & he's not out to make the world better for anyone, least of all his immediate family (understandable that may be).

What made you feel Tyrion was repugnant initially? Just because he liked whores and wine? I didnt think that made him a bad person, he just liked sex and booze and because his family were so rich he could afford plenty of both.

And what about characters who do have a bad side but a totally understandable bad side - like The Hound (who tried to help Sansa), or poor old Theon Greyjoy who doesnt know where he belongs.

I know what you mean though, but its a different universe where life is a lot cheaper so it seems like unless you are a tough old boot like Bronn or have a rich daddy like Tyrion - you might not make it past breakfast!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ser Barristan Selmy, Poderick Payne, Davos Seaworth, Arya Stark, Bran Stark, Catelyn Stark (actually all the Starks!), Daenerys Targaryen, Jeor and Jorah Mormont, Aemon Taragaryen.... I could go on but you get the idea.

Well Poderick is just a background character atm, and I had to google Aemon tbh and he was in what, 1/2 scenes in season 2? (this is for the non-book readers, in case said characters are front & centre on the printed page) The rest I'd qualify as being victims of circumstance, and said circumstance not exactly being favorable to their well-being. Ultimately this shows tone rewards the malevolent or scheming, and those who aren't tend to get shunted to the side, figuratively or literally, and it gets a little repetitive after a while.
    What made you feel Tyrion was repugnant initially? Just because he liked whores and wine? I didnt think that made him a bad person, he just liked sex and booze and because his family were so rich he could afford plenty of both.

Repugnant is the wrong word but he clearly wasn't written as an initially sympathetic character. He kinda morphed into a fan favourite largely by dint of his wits (again, not a book reader so no idea if this was how it was meant to turn out) and was effectively the main character by the end of series 2.
    I know what you mean though, but its a different universe where life is a lot cheaper so it seems like unless you are a tough old boot like Bronn or have a rich daddy like Tyrion - you might not make it past breakfast!

Which as I said, gets a little repetitive; if you keep over-zealously emphasising how awful a world this is, then it eventually gets a little wearisome and predictable in a sense. Honestly, whilst yes I undoubtedly enjoy the grandeur of the show and some of its characters, I've stopped caring about 90% of them because clearly if they're malevolent they'll be rewarded, whereas if someone has an ounce of dignity about them there's a sense of inevitability they're for the chop down the line.

Interesting pov.

Difficult for me to relate to as I know more background - I cant watch it without "knowing" things (btw, I wasnt referring to anything in the books in my last post with people like Poderick etc).

Its important to remember that the world was actually a better place under King Robert because if you didnt keep the Kings Peace he came after you with his war hammer - and his death has thrown the realm into turmoil - so we arrived to start watching right where things went crazy and life got cheaper.

Without saying anything I shouldnt - keep watching :)

Edited to add - I forgot to mention the most moral character of them all - Brienne! She is a really good person!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

delighted its back, i wonder why they had winterfell in flames at the start, i know it was fairly wrecked by theons gang while they were there, but its obviously still gonna be a significant location seeing as they still have it in the credits and brann and a few others are still there,

i wonder how many assassins have been sent by the sorcerers of qarth to kill daenerys, and its nice to see her getting a move on with an army, it would be nice to see her at the shores of westeros by the end of the season, but seeing as this season is only half of book 3 id say well be waiting till season 4 to have her back there,

i must say it takes some effort to remember all the characters, and there were still a few storylines not even mentioned in this episode,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Why does Tommy Carcetti still have that stupid accent from series 2? Why can't he just go back to the original series character instead of the mix of christopher nolan batman and northern English pie salesman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Ahh its good to have it back :)

Enjoyable episode, really enjoyed the scene with Tywin and Tyrion. Still plenty to clear up yet...Arya,Bran,Brienne and Jamie. Looking forward to it.

Btw....did I see Rats from Paths to Freedom in tonights episode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Thought it was a bit flat for an opening episode really. Not bad by any means but just not as good as i thought. The scene with Tyrion and his father was great imo, am thinking that he may get Bronn to kill him. Also how the hell is Dany going to buy 8000 men and feed them etc?

Also, who killed all those people in the castle Robb visited? Was it Theon? Memory is a bit hazy from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Degag wrote: »

Also, who killed all those people in the castle Robb visited? Was it Theon? Memory is a bit hazy from last year.

It was Gregor Clegane; the Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

I enjoyed the episode too !! Great to have it back was waiting for ages !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anyone wrote: »
    Btw....did I see Rats from Paths to Freedom in tonights episode?

Yes, he's Lord Bolton, appeared in a few episodes last season.
    He's one of the northern lords who went south as part of Robb Stark army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It didn't blow me away to be honest.

A good set up episode but that's it.

A set up episode of Game of Thrones is still better than a lot if tv out there.

I can't wait until next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Seriously dude, why even mention Walking dead, there are probably going to be people, like myself who haven't yet watched WD but come in here.

Sorry lads you're right I wasn't even thinking that most probably hadn't seen it, won't happen again :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Degag wrote: »
    Also how the hell is Dany going to buy 8000 men and feed them etc?

Was wondering the same myself :confused:

Most of her followers deserted her and more died in the desert, she only has a tiny group.

She found money for one ship but how does she have money for an army?

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Was wondering the same myself :confused:

Most of her followers deserted her and more died in the desert, she only has a tiny group.

She found money for one ship but how does she have money for an army?
    She stripped the mansion of whatever-his-name was in Q'arth; she should have more than enough money for a small army as the implication in that house-raiding scene was that there was enough to pay her way (even if whats-his-names vault was empty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah, forgotten that, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ah yeah, they fleeced the king of qarth. . .i don't think he'll mind too much though as he's locked in a room with Roxanne McKee :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Good episode, I thought it would be more "busy" for some reason, but the 55 minutes flew by.

Roll on next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Good opener, nothing wasted and didnt feel rushed or trying to cram everything in , is this season 10 eps as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Are there always that many ad breaks on sky atlantic? annoyed the crap out of me when engrossed in the story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

krudler wrote: »
    Good opener, nothing wasted and didnt feel rushed or trying to cram everything in , is this season 10 eps as well?
    yeah its 10 episodes again, but this seasons episodes will be slightly longer than last seasons due to the amount of story, i think the showrunners said they managed to squeeze a whole extra episode in by adding an extra 5 minutes or so to each episode,

most of the actors would be paid by the episode, so when each episode is costing about $7million to make you save a lot of money doing what their doing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah its 10 episodes again, but this seasons episodes will be slightly longer than last seasons due to the amount of story, i think the showrunners said they managed to squeeze a whole extra episode in by adding an extra 5 minutes or so to each episode,

That's a good idea, some plots are a little rushed, opposite of Walking Dead where things have the ass dragged out of them for no reason just to fill the episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I really liked the episode. It seemed like the production values/budget had gone up even again. I wouldn't describe the episode as slow at all. I thought there was plenty in it and it rocketed along. My only complaint was littlefinger's accent. It sounded weird, weirder than last year.

Maybe I'm wrong but Margaery Tyrrell looked to be quite earnest about helping the orphans. My take was that the queen wasn't all that pushed about it so looked upon it scornfully. She's certainly more interesting than Sansa. The scene with Sansa was the dulest part of the show tbh.

Blay wrote: »
    It was Gregor Clegane; the Mountain.

That was Harrenhal, where Tywin Lannister was (with Arya etc...) - I dont recall the Mountain being mentioned - did I miss that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

That was Harrenhal, where Tywin Lannister was (with Arya etc...) - I dont recall the Mountain being mentioned - did I miss that?

Back in season 2 when Tywin was getting ready to march on Kings Landing he left the Mountain in command of Harrenhall, warning Arya not to let him get drunk.

In the seas. 3 opener Roose and Robb discuss having to attack the Mountain when they approach the castle .

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    Back in season 2 when Tywin was getting ready to march on Kings Landing he left the Mountain in command of Harrenhall, warning Arya not to let him get drunk.

In the seas. 3 opener Roose and Robb discuss having to attack the Mountain when they approach the castle .

Thanks - Id totally forgotten that in Season 2. I do remember it now.

I must have missed that conversation with Roose and Robb though - I find myself fascinated with Roose Bolton onscreen, he just looks so intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I find myself fascinated with Roose Bolton onscreen, he just looks so intense.
    Looks a rat to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mod Note

Hi folks please take a moment to read the mod note in post #1 I know I know rant rant rant mod mod mod but just to prevent any possible unpleasantness ...... I like to keep my Axe of Banning clean :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

massive episode 1 spoilers in this one :) i near shat myself laughing at Ser Bronn

http://www.happyplace.com/22775/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

What an episode! The wait until next week is already killing me! I'm not used to this seeing as I watched both season 1 and 2 in the space of a week :(

Felt they did cram an awful lot in but didn't think it was a bad thing, they kind of had to do it to get the ball rolling for this season!

Would have liked to see more of the Walkers as the ending of season 2 was such a "OMG WTFUUUUUUUUU" moment. Also, how the hell did Sam get away?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Directed at the earlier criticism. Surely it's the Starks who represent lawful good here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ned Stark did when he supported Stannis as King in Season 1. Robb Stark, while a good man and arguably better leader than Stannis, is engaged in sedition so not exactly lawful.

Kold wrote: »
    Directed at the earlier criticism. Surely it's the Starks who represent lawful good here?

They would, but like I mentioned earlier, the show has effectively punished the Starks for their greater nobility. Winterfell is in ruins, the daughters are kidnapped or missing, Bran is crippled; Jon Snow is MIA and Robb, whilst noble, is undoubtedly headed for a fall. His marriage complicates the treaty with that bridge-kingdom from previous seasons, and I sense that his campaign (which is in effect a vengeful powergrab, despite ostensibly being a "good" person) may yet shudder to a halt when the white walkers breach the wall.

I actually like Bran and arya mind you, and hope they both come good & inherit the throne, Robb seems like the soldier who'd falter in peace time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

They would, but like I mentioned earlier, the show has effectively punished the Starks for their greater nobility. Winterfell is in ruins, the daughters are kidnapped or missing, Bran is crippled; Jon Snow is MIA and Robb, whilst noble, is undoubtedly headed for a fall. His marriage complicates the treaty with that bridge-kingdom from season 1, and I sense that his campaign (which is in effect a vengeful powergrab, despite ostensibly being a "good" person) may yet shudder to a halt when the white walkers breach the wall.

I actually like Bran and arya mind you, and hope they both come good & inherit the throne, Robb seems like the soldier who'd falter in peace time
    FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

They would, but like I mentioned earlier, the show has effectively punished the Starks for their greater nobility. Winterfell is in ruins, the daughters are kidnapped or missing, Bronn is crippled; Jon Snow is MIA and Robb, whilst noble, is undoubtedly headed for a fall. His marriage complicates the treaty with that bridge-kingdom from season 1, and I sense that his campaign (which is in effect a vengeful powergrab, despite ostensibly being a "good" person) may yet shudder to a halt when the white walkers breach the wall.

Jon is exactly where he is suppose to be, under the HalfHand's (RIP) orders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement