Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Manchester United F.A Cup 1/4 Final replay K.O 12.30pm ITV HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

adox wrote: »
    Lol tastic.

Like Chiles said at the start, this was Man Utd's last meaningful game of the season. Sure there is a home game against City and the league to officially be wrapped up but that's a foregone conclusion. In terms of actually participating in a game where a competition is really on the line there is none left for Man Utd this season. It's hardly a "lolable" point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Great win, on to Wembley now to face Man City. As an added bonus, with the league all but over so too is Man Utd's season.

I don't even know what to say to this. Consider this comment a placeholder until I learn how to put into words how idiotic a statement that is. I'm off to look up 'stupid' in my thesaurus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Lol tastic.

He's right though, not 'over' in the usual sense but they barely have to kick a ball between now and the end of the season. I'm not sure if that's what he meant but I agree in that sense.

It's why I made the point that they should have really went for this.

I don't even know what to say to this. Consider this comment a placeholder until I learn how to put into words how idiotic a statement that is.

Read above post and reply accordingly. Do you think Man City are likely to comeback in the league? No, their manager has even conceded the title. Are you still in the Champions League, FA Cup or Europa League? No. Yes you will win the title and deservedly so as the most consistent team over 38 games. Is there anything truly on the line at this stage for you? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lol tastic.

we'll have to settle for crushing the league. oh noes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Does this mean Wigan/Millwall will be in Europe next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Essien wrote: »
    He's right though, not 'over' in the usual sense but they barely have to kick a ball between now and the end of the season. I'm not sure if that's what he meant but I agree in that sense.

The fact as a Chelsea supporter that he thinks that it's a bonus they have "ended" our season is the most lol tastic thing I have read in a while.

Surely you can see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yes United's season is competitively over but he's using that fact to slag off United, which is why people are so bemused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Great time to play some youth players and try new formations/tactics after we get our draw v City next week

The fact as a Chelsea supporter that he thinks that it's a bonus they have "ended" our season is the most lol tastic thing I have read in a while.

Surely you can see that?

I can see that, I wasn't sure why it was considered a bonus, he's right that it's over though, that's all I'm saying.

• Advertisement

Read above post and reply accordingly. Do you think Man City are likely to comeback in the league? No, their manager has even conceded the title. Are you still in the Champions League, FA Cup or Europa League? No. Yes you will win the title and deservedly so as the most consistent team over 38 games. Is there anything truly on the line at this stage for you? No.

Oh I get your point completely. It's just an incredibly stupid theory.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Like Chiles said at the start, this was Man Utd's last meaningful game of the season. Sure there is a home game against City and the league to officially be wrapped up but that's a foregone conclusion. In terms of actually participating in a game where a competition is really on the line there is none left for Man Utd this season. It's hardly a "lolable" point.

So how and where exactly is it "an added bonus" for you? What have you gained on top progressing?

Utter nonsense no matter how you try and spin it.

we'll have to settle for crushing the league. oh noes

Who said otherwise? Honestly I've encountered all number of fans from clubs but none are as sensitive and prissy as Man Utd fans. At what stage in my post do I say that you wont win the league. I later say you deserve to win the league. My point is that from now until the end of the season nothing is really on the line in any of Man Utd's games because the league is a formality at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

How about aiming for a record points haul, points difference in the league. FYI JaMarcus isnt a UTD poster

Blatter wrote: »
    Yes United's season is competitively over but he's using that fact to slag off United, which is why people are so bemused.

Am I slagging off Man Utd? No. To quote our beloved manager, it is a fact.

How about aiming for a record points haul, points difference in the league. FYI JaMarcus isnt a UTD poster

And good luck with that. Is it really the same as being in a cup competition? No. Is it the same as if both teams were level on points so every single game matters? No.

I'm not begrudging Man Utd's league victory, simply stating a simple fact that, at this stage, there really isn't anything to play for.

Am I slagging off Man Utd? No. To quote our beloved manager, it is a fact.

Explain your 'added bonus' remark then please.

Oh I get your point completely. It's just an incredibly stupid theory.

Point out the flaws in the theory. If the league is over and there are no cup competitions left, please point out what makes every Man Utd game from now until the end of the season so unmissable.

Explain your 'added bonus' remark then please.

Added bonus was simply a personal remark because I don't particularly like Man Utd as a club so to eliminate them from the FA Cup, their only other chance of lifting a trophy along with the Premier League, was an added bonus to reaching another FA Cup semi final.

FYI JaMarcus isnt a UTD poster

I kind of am! :o

• Advertisement

Added bonus was simply a personal remark because I don't particularly like Man Utd as a club so to eliminate them from the FA Cup, their only other chance of lifting a trophy along with the Premier League, was an added bonus to reaching another FA Cup semi final.

Then the "added bonus" was knocking out a rival. It certainly wasn't ending their season. You just phrased it horribly is all.

There's a difference between ending a team's season, and knocking them out of the only other trophy they can win in addition to the one they're about to sew up in the coming games, the one that matters most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Does this mean Wigan/Millwall will be in Europe next season?

Yes unless Chelsea or Man City win the cup and fall apart in the league and finish 6th

Yes and that's what people are calling you out on, and not on the fact you're saying the league is over.

Do you not feel a bit pathetic garnering joy from the fact United's season is over due to them having all but won the league championship in March?

I would.

Keep squirming. You specifically said ending United's season was the added bonus:
    As an added bonus, with the league all but over so too is Man Utd's season.

This would be easier for you if you just put your hand up and admit you were talking through your arse with your initial post.

You might as well have said "Haha - your team have an all-but-guaranteed trophy and my team don't".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

United were awful.

Chelsea not much better. Moment of class win it.

Sums it up for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I kind of am! :o

Fair enough, do you frequent the superthread? Thought you were just nfl (Go Ravens)

Then the "added bonus" was knocking out a rival. It certainly wasn't ending their season. You just phrased it horribly is all.

There's a difference between ending a team's season, and knocking them out of the only other trophy they can win in addition to the one they're about to sew up in the coming games, the one that matters most.

It's a given that the league is over. Everybody knows that. After the Champions League elimination the FA Cup was the only other competition that was really up for grabs for Man Utd. Thus why I phrased it as I did.

Fair enough, do you frequent the superthread? Thought you were just nfl (Go Ravens)

I would browse it to keep up to date on news/gossip but rarely post. My interest in football has waned considerably the last couple of years, I didn't even know we were playing today until I saw the match thread this morning, so you're forgiven for your assumption! :o

Yes and that's what people are calling you out on, and not on the fact you're saying the league is over.

Do you not feel a bit pathetic garnering joy from the fact United's season is over due to them having all but won the league championship in March?

I would.

Not at all. It was a nice feeling today eliminating Man Utd, because it is Man Utd but the main joy is really from reaching the FA Cup semi final. I don't like Man Utd but I don't go running down the street shouting whenever Man Utd lose a game, I don't care enough about them to have such a reaction.

• Advertisement

Keep squirming. You specifically said ending United's season was the added bonus:

This would be easier for you if you just put your hand up and admit you were talking through your arse with your initial post.

You might as well have said "Haha - your team have an all-but-guaranteed trophy and my team don't".

But equally the other way of looking at it is, my team still have games left in the season that matter, your's don't.

Two sides to every coin.

It's a given that the league is over. Everybody knows that. After the Champions League elimination the FA Cup was the only other competition that was really up for grabs for Man Utd. Thus why I phrased it as I did.

Calling that "ending a season" is bizarre though, as that phrase to me would imply a sense of United having nothing left to achieve and it being a dud of a season.

It would be like making fun of someone for not having any money left, just after they spent it all on permanent live-in hookers, fast cars and a mansion. Yeah, they've no money left. But they're still gonna have a fúcking amazing time when they get home.

But equally the other way of looking at it is, my team still have games left in the season that matter, your's don't.

Two sides to every coin.

Premier League Trophy > Competitive games in my book. But each to their own.

Enjoy your added bonus.

Not at all. It was a nice feeling today eliminating Man Utd, because it is Man Utd but the main joy is really from reaching the FA Cup semi final. I don't like Man Utd but I don't go running down the street shouting whenever Man Utd lose a game, I don't care enough about them to have such a reaction.

You're attacking a straw man here. You don't like Man Utd and you're happy that you beat a rival and reached the FA cup final. Nobody has a problem with any of this, that's all acceptable.

People are laughing at you taking pleasure in the fact that Utd's season is now over. Except it doesn't really make sense for you to do that because it's only over because the league has been all but won in March. It's still a very good season for Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Calling that "ending a season" is bizarre though, as that phrase to me would imply a sense of United having nothing left to achieve and it being a dud of a season.

He did put it in context by saying "with the league all but over.....". His comment hardly merits 4 pages of debate.

It would be like making fun of someone for not having any money left, just after they spent it all on permanent live-in hookers, fast cars and a mansion. Yeah, they've no money left. But they're still gonna have a fúcking amazing time when they get home.

It depends on how you look at the phrase. The sense I was aiming for is the one I've explained numerous times, that being that with the league over the FA Cup was the only competition left that was alive which Man Utd were in and now they are out. Maybe it could have been phrased better? Yes, maybe, however I thought the intentions of the comment were pretty clear.

• Advertisement

You're attacking a straw man here. You don't like Man Utd and you're happy that you beat a rival and reached the FA cup final. Nobody has a problem with any of this, that's all acceptable.

People are laughing at you taking pleasure in the fact that Utd's season is now over. Except it doesn't really make sense for you to do that because it's only over because the league has been all but won in March. It's still a very good season for Man Utd.

If you want you can take a browse through my search history (I wouldn't be surprised if you already have since you seem to respond to each comment I make on the soccer section of the forum) and if you can find a comment in which I say that this hasn't been a very good season for Man Utd then I promise to leave the forum.

At no stage have I ever said that, ever. At no stage does my message imply that. Infact I'm not sure how you could take that meaning from my comment. I've explained the comment. Do with that explanation whatever you want.

eigrod wrote: »
    He did put it in context by saying "with the league all but over.....". His comment hardly merits 4 pages of debate.

Well they need somebody to vent at, I don't mind. Though it is taking the thread wildly off topic.

I wish Liverpool's season was over when 15 points clear at the top! Mental argument

Give it up Andersonisgod!

You've been called out on what frankly was a stupid remark. Go enjoy the fact you are in a semi final rather than try and bait the losing team. Go have a beer or something

So....football.....remember that? Pretty sure there was a game earlier.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I wish Liverpool's season was over when 15 points clear at the top! Mental argument

Give it up Andersonisgod!

I'm not explaining it again. Nor do I think was the point ridiculous given the context it was said in. I also agree with the post that said it hardly merits 4 pages of debate.

So....football.....remember that? Pretty sure there was a game earlier.

and not a very good one at that :(

You've been called out on what frankly was a stupid remark. Go enjoy the fact you are in a semi final rather than try and bait the losing team. Go have a beer or something

Good call Paul, it's probably a good time for me to leave given that you must be almost out of "likes" by now. This debate has been ridiculous and entirely irrelevant anyway because all that matters is that Chelsea, the better team over the course of both games, are through to the semi final of a competition they have dominated in recent times.

I'm not explaining it again. Nor do I think was the point ridiculous given the context it was said in. I also agree with the post that said it hardly merits 4 pages of debate.

You need to change your settings ;)

If you want you can take a browse through my search history (I wouldn't be surprised if you already have since you seem to respond to each comment I make on the soccer section of the forum) and if you can find a comment in which I say that this hasn't been a very good season for Man Utd then I promise to leave the forum.

At no stage have I ever said that, ever. At no stage does my message imply that. Infact I'm not sure how you could take that meaning from my comment. I've explained the comment. Do with that explanation whatever you want.

Generally when fans take pleasure in a rival's season being over early, it's because they are out of everything and have had a shít season.

Bizarre to say the least that you take pleasure from the fact a very good season for United is all but over early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

City v Chelsea cup semi should be good game.

Would make City hot favourites on todays performance though.

and not a very good one at that :(

It was poor stuff to be fair, not a rash tackle, red card or dodgy offside goal in sight. A real 'slow news day' as far as football games go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I really thought united would win this one so i put a 100euro on them then i see the team sheet and knew my money was gone.

Generally when fans take pleasure in a rival's season being over early, it's because they are out of everything and have had a shít season.

Bizarre to say the least that you take pleasure from the fact a very good season for United is all but over early.

Shock, horror! Chelsea fan enjoys Man Utd being eliminated from FA Cup by the team he supports, somebody call the Daily Mail......on second thought don't, they will probably report that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

On the bright side, a few more wins like this could see rafa get the job full time

• Advertisement
Advertisement