Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for US residency during intern year in Ireland

Options
  • 01-04-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I will be starting intern year here in Ireland in July (hopefully!) but plan to apply for US residency during the year to start there in July 2014.

I am starting to get a bit concerned about how the timing will pan out....has anyone out there done this before? Were you able to get time off for your interviews? Any tips on the process?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

As far as I know, most US residencies start in June, with the impact that you will have to resign from your intern post prior to finishing. This will most likely mean that you will not get your Certificate of Experience, which if my understanding is right, will have an impact if you intend to return to Ireland post-residency.

Time off for interviews for the US would not be included in the allocated Interview leave (which only applies to interviews in Ireland) but shouldn't be a problem taking annual leave for them, just a case of sorting it out with your team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Residency usually starts at the end of June, you should be fine taking the last two weeks of intern year as holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kan40

Thanks for the replies! Seems like it should be manageable.

Advertisement