Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity €300 "deposit"

Options
  • 01-04-2013 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, I moved house before Christmas, (private residential) and with all the commotion the Landlord never sorted out electricity provider transfer.
    he did so 3 weeks ago and the last tenant was with Airtricity so we went with them as we had no real choice. Anyway we got our bill last week, I wa expecting around €350+, bill was for €746 !!!! it includes a €300 "deposit charge" WTF is that about ? They reckon I hadnt had electricity in my name before and this is standard charge. I know I had a few years back but last landlord left ESB in their name as it all went through D/D and they also used the power for their farm sheds.
    Is there anything I can do about this? I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they say but would like any advice before I do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

it's a standard charge with airtricity.

As far as I know if you switch to electric Ireland and pay by direct debit there is no deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Where you advised from the outset that there's a €300 deposit under the T&C's of the contract? If not then it's a job for the CER.

http://www.cer.ie/en/electricity-distribution-network-complaints-and-disputes.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Standard practice to take an indemnity deposit. Try the "talk to..." on Boards for Electric Ireland and see what they say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

all suppliers request a security deposit for tenants now... sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you dont... depends on how on the ball they are when signing you up

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

If you set up a dd they waive the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

kristian12 wrote: »

Not for Airtricity, if you set up a DD they will reduce the deposit requirement to €200. The other providers waive it completely, another reason to stay well away from Airtricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

I'm with Airtricity and they removed my deposit completly and the same with my neighbours who rented for the first time just before christmas so perhaps it depends on who you get on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I'm with Airtricity and they removed my deposit completly and the same with my neighbours who rented for the first time just before christmas so perhaps it depends on who you get on the phone?

Could be! I tried to sign up with them 2 weeks ago and they wouldn't entertain it, insisted on the €200 even with a DD, so I moved to Electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Faricy

I left that shower of fookers years back - bills were all over the place and seemed very high now in comparison to my present supplier Electric Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

only if you own the property

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Was in the same situation, ignored it for several months and just paid the bill, they never did anything with it.,

Advertisement