Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hillsborough:Never Forgotten Wed 3rd BB2 9PM

• 01-04-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

I'm posting about this upcoming TV programme as I know I lot of people will want to see it.
    I hope that that this doesnt descend into the usual baiting and trolling chaos that can happen.

Duration: 1 hour

Leading up to the first anniversary since the Hillsborough Independent Review published its findings, this film describes the impact on the survivors and families of Hillsborough of living under the shadow of a lie for a generation.
    In a poignant and thought-provoking film, survivors, relatives of the deceased and people who attended to the victims on the day, describe what it was like to live in a world pervaded by an absence of truth. Where instead of finding compassion, the victims of the disaster were held to be responsible for their own deaths and those grieving for them were derided for self-pity, a legacy they have lived with for 24 years.
    The Bishop of Liverpool, the Right Rev James Jones, leader of the team that uncovered the truth, gives an extended inside account of the investigation and how he and colleagues pieced together their remarkable expose of deceit and deception, and victims' families describe the impact the new revelations have had on their lives

Wednesday 3 April
    9.00-10.00pm
    BBC TWO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'm posting about this upcoming TV programme as I know I lot of people will want to see it.
    I hope that that this doesnt descend into the usual baiting and trolling chaos that can happen.

Duration: 1 hour

Leading up to the first anniversary since the Hillsborough Independent Review published its findings, this film describes the impact on the survivors and families of Hillsborough of living under the shadow of a lie for a generation.
    In a poignant and thought-provoking film, survivors, relatives of the deceased and people who attended to the victims on the day, describe what it was like to live in a world pervaded by an absence of truth. Where instead of finding compassion, the victims of the disaster were held to be responsible for their own deaths and those grieving for them were derided for self-pity, a legacy they have lived with for 24 years.
    The Bishop of Liverpool, the Right Rev James Jones, leader of the team that uncovered the truth, gives an extended inside account of the investigation and how he and colleagues pieced together their remarkable expose of deceit and deception, and victims' families describe the impact the new revelations have had on their lives

Wednesday 3 April
    9.00-10.00pm
    BBC TWO
    There's no way that was a year ago. It couldn't be. Someone please assure me that was only a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Its the 1st anniversary of Hillsborough since the truth was published in Sept

Its the 1st anniversary of Hillsborough since the truth was published in Sept
    Ah right. I misread that part :o
    Thought I lost a few months somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its a disgrace that it has taken this long for these relatives to get the truth.

Football supporters were treated like dirt those days in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Gonna watch the programme for sure. The truth has been told, even if it took far too long.

• Advertisement

Recorded this to watch now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

It takes a special type of retard to air this during a high profile Champions League match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It takes a special type of retard to air this during a high profile Champions League match.

Not really, the only CL matches in the UK were on SKY, ITV has the Tuesday game.

Good programme, not really about the day or report rather it was study of grief and anger and some of the people effected in the aftermath and how they have lived with the legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The chanting of 'Justice for the 96' during Andy Burnham's speech (as featured in tonight's programme) was very moving. Afterwards he played a key part in getting the Independent Inquiry established.

In Derry, they shot 14 dead. Terrorists, they claimed. All armed, they said, all dangerous. They shot first, they claimed. They stuffed the pockets of the dead with incriminating evidence to back up their lies.

They fed a hungry media the story they wanted to hear. The media gobbled it up and spat it out. For years. But The People knew what had happened. And it wept like a festering sore that refused to heal. A city that refused to forget.
    And families that wouldn't give up their quest for The Truth.

And now we know The Truth. It was Murder. "It was unjustified and unjustifiable". And not a single person who was responsible for the atrocity, the whitewashes, the lies has ever spent a day in Police cells. The Great and The Good walked away with their trinkets and pensions from a grateful Empire.

In Sheffield, they let 96 football fans die. They were all drunk, they said. They were dangerous, they said. They stole from their own. Coroners took blood samples from the children to blacken their names.

They fed a hungry media the story they wanted to hear. The media gobbled it up and spat it out. For years. But The People knew what happened. and it wept like a festering sore that refused to heal. A city that refused to forget.
    And families that wouldn't give up their quest for The Truth .

And now we know The Truth. It was Murder And not a single person who was responsible for the atrocity, the whitewashes, the lies has ever spent a day in Police cells. The Great and The Good walked away with their trinkets and pensions from a grateful Empire.

Derry and Liverpool - united in grief - and united in defiance.
    Both Cities have had The Truth.
    Now its time for Justice.

• Advertisement

In Derry, they shot 14 dead. Terrorists, they claimed. All armed, they said, all dangerous. They shot first, they claimed. They stuffed the pockets of the dead with incriminating evidence to back up their lies.

They fed a hungry media the story they wanted to hear. The media gobbled it up and spat it out. For years. But The People knew what had happened. And it wept like a festering sore that refused to heal. A city that refused to forget.
    And families that wouldn't give up their quest for The Truth.

And now we know The Truth. It was Murder. "It was unjustified and unjustifiable". And not a single person who was responsible for the atrocity, the whitewashes, the lies has ever spent a day in Police cells. The Great and The Good walked away with their trinkets and pensions from a grateful Empire.

In Sheffield, they let 96 football fans die. They were all drunk, they said. They were dangerous, they said. They stole from their own. Coroners took blood samples from the children to blacken their names.

They fed a hungry media the story they wanted to hear. The media gobbled it up and spat it out. For years. But The People knew what happened. and it wept like a festering sore that refused to heal. A city that refused to forget.
    And families that wouldn't give up their quest for The Truth .

And now we know The Truth. It was Murder And not a single person who was responsible for the atrocity, the whitewashes, the lies has ever spent a day in Police cells. The Great and The Good walked away with their trinkets and pensions from a grateful Empire.

Derry and Liverpool - united in grief - and united in defiance.
    Both Cities have had The Truth.
    Now its time for Justice.
    For a piece that is supposed to be celebrating the truth, that's just a plain lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I didn't watch this and now that pool fans have got justice I've chose to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I didn't watch this and now that pool fans have got justice I've chose to move on.

The truth is only out.

No one has gotten justice.

The biggest fear now is that folk have a mind set that this is over, it is not, and its now more than ever that this campaign needs everyones support and bring those responsible for this disgusting cover up to justice.

JFT96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

What justice would that be?

cambo2008 wrote: »
    For a piece that is supposed to be celebrating the truth, that's just a plain lie.

Dunno about you but I would call trying to stop the one ambulance that got onto the pitch from helping people and also stopping a few more ambulances from getting onto the pitch that would have saved lives, murder.

Dunno about you but I would call trying to stop the one ambulance that got onto the pitch from helping people and also stopping a few more ambulances from getting onto the pitch that would have saved lives, murder.
    Well then you would be wrong. Gross negligence manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter yes, it wasn't murder.

The report was The Truth, justice is what follows disclosure.

Call it what you like people died that day that could have been saved.

We are talking about people like me and you that went to football game and never came home.

Just like Bradford and Ibrox and few more tragedies, but in this case the fans were seen as guilty party.

Nobody should go to game and not come home. Many lives could and should of been saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well then you would be wrong. Gross negligence manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter yes, it wasn't murder.

By being so pernickity about the use of a word you're not coming across particularly well.

If someone is intentionally acting with a wilful disregard for someones life, it can in fact legally be classed as murder. I think the actions of many people on that day could be defined as murder, certainly in a conversational way as the poster you tried to correct did, so stop trying to be a smart arse.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    By being so pernickity about the use of a word you're not coming across particularly well.

If someone is intentionally acting with a wilful disregard for someones life, it can in fact legally be classed as murder. I think the actions of many people on that day could be defined as murder, certainly in a conversational way as the poster you tried to correct did, so stop trying to be a smart arse.
    I'm not trying to be a smart arse. It doesn't matter what you think either, it wasn't and won't ever be seen as murder and is in no way comparable to the other incident he mentioned, other than the cover up.
    I'm not getting any further into it, so I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Murder is a legal definition. No prosecution service in a free country would lay a charge of murder with regard to Hillsborough, the most serious charge with regard to the dead would relate to negligence causing death. That's just the fact of the matter. Anything else is emotive chat.

I've to pay up on a charity bet we made Al.
    If you want me to donate to the HFSG, I'd be more than happy to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Cool. Fire away.

Remind me what the bet was for!?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Cool. Fire away.

Remind me what the bet was for!?

Suarez reaching 20 league goals :(

Couldn't find the post to link but I did find this one. Should have listened to my past self :D

Where did this theory that Suarez wasn't bought to score goals emerge??
    It seems to have appeared around about the time people realised he wasn't scoring that many goals :pac:

The lad might go on to score 20 odd goals next season and it will be forgotten about.

Remember yous used to roll out that line ;)

I've to pay up on a charity bet we made Al.
    If you want me to donate to the HFSG, I'd be more than happy to.

Credit where credit is due.

People have put bets on in past and not honored them.

Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Very moving programme

Credit where credit is due.

People have put bets on in past and not honored them.

Fair play.
    A bet is a bet man. Anyway there ya go it's done.

1365107285.0031.iPicit.jpg

Advertisement