Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying mispronunciation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

prefer 'tot num' myself :eek:
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    As far as I know, aluminum was there first, twas the Europeans (or whoever) added the extra syllable.

What's wrong with Tot-ten-ham? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Glenster wrote: »
    TH does not equal D

But English isn't our native language, can you not get that? Irish for Thomas is Tomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    After nearly a decade in Ireland, I still cringe when I hear "Peugeot" pronounced as "Pew-jot"; It's so deeply seated in the public that even the company themselves mispronounce it in their commercials.

Funnily enough, it's pronounced relatively well in the UK, so it's not an "English speakers" thing.

In the UK they pronounced it PERSH-oh which is completely wrong. The proper pronunciation is Pooj-oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

VonLuck wrote: »
    People pronouncing paella "pie-ella" instead of "pie-ey-ah".

I'm sorry but would ya f*** off!! The only place its pronounced properly is in spain but the vast majority of people who say it wrong have never been to spain and have never heard the correct pronunciation. I call it Pie-ella too but that's because (rightly or wrongly) Pie-ey-ah sounds downright stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm sorry but would ya f*** off!! The only place its pronounced properly is in spain but the vast majority of people who say it wrong have never been to spain and have never heard the correct pronunciation. I call it Pie-ella too but that's because (rightly or wrongly) Pie-ey-ah sounds downright stupid.

Do you pronounce vol-au-vent with a hard "t" at the end?

I think it depends on how common the word is used in the English language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemubwem Ossas. Just call me Tony

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Reminds me of the Chelsea chant:

We'll just call you Dave, We'll just call you Dave,
    Azpilicueta, We'll just call you Dave

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Portugal being pronounced 'port-u-gal' instead of 'porch-a-gal' irritates me greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    As far as I know, aluminum was there first, twas the Europeans (or whoever) added the extra syllable.

What's wrong with Tot-ten-ham? :confused:
    Because its pronounced Tott-nham
    The same goes for many other English town/village names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Probably mentioned before, but everyone is now calling the country Chile 'Chee-lay'.
    Apparently it's the correct pronunciation, but I much preferred 'Chilly'!

For all intensive purposes :rolleyes:

Few people are stupid enough to argue with a grumpy arse guard, but when you role down the driver's window who doesn't choke back a snigger when asked if you are "the owner of this vah-hick-el"?

Oh, and "either". It doesn't matter which one I say is right, the other camp are always ready with a good barney on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Sam Kade wrote: »
    But English isn't our native language, can you not get that? Irish for Thomas is Tomas.

English is my native language mate.

And when I speak English I do it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Portugal being pronounced 'port-u-gal' instead of 'porch-a-gal' irritates me greatly.

Portugal being pronounced 'port-oo-gal' instead of 'port-u-gal' irritates me greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

I think every newsreader pronounces Gardaí as Gór-dee instead of Gar-dee which is annoying.
    A lot seem to add a "h" in Taoiseach and Tánaiste too by saying Thaoiseach and Thánaiste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

chris445 wrote: »
    I think every newsreader pronounces Gardaí as Gór-dee instead of Gar-dee which is annoying.
    A lot seem to add a "h" in Taoiseach and Tánaiste too by saying Thaoiseach and Thánaiste.

It's correct to have a long A in Gardaí (also a soft D), and a soft T in Taoiseach and Tánaiste.

People pronouncing it as Tea-Shock drives me nuts.

maudgonner wrote: »
    It's correct to have a long A in Gardaí (also a soft D), and a soft T in Taoiseach and Tánaiste.

People pronouncing it as Tea-Shock drives me nuts.

How should you say it?! :confused:

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    How should you say it?! :confused:

Taoiseach? There's a pronunciation guide with sound clip here (towards the bottom of the page)

ETA: Actually this one is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Padayto.

Taoiseach? There's a pronunciation guide with sound clip here (towards the bottom of the page)

To my ears there is no difference (in the Ulster dialect anyway) between what they are saying in that clip and "tea-shock". I must be missing out on some Irish subtlety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@maudgonner - absolutely spot-on. Native speaker here. Perfect pronunciation in those clips. :-) Lovely to hear.

My two commonest hates: "Pantomine" with an N
    and
    "Portry" for Poetry.

To my ears there is no difference (in the Ulster dialect anyway) between what they are saying in that clip and "tea-shock". I must be missing out on some Irish subtlety.

The T is soft (tends to be slightly harder in Ulster dialect alright, but still not a hard T. For an example of a hard T in Irish, listen to the word tae - quite a different sound). The CH is also soft & quite guttural - not a K sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

One close to home that always raises an eyebrow...

Arch -e -tech instead of Arc -i- tect... so many people mispronounce it in the construction industry alone it beggars belief.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Stab*City wrote: »
    Nathan or Naa in

That one really bugs me - work with someone who when quoting a price will say "thir-ee" Drives me round the twist!!!

Potatoes....i mean, how hard is it to say it....POTATOES.....no badatas, badaees, potaoes....POTATOES!!!

Sandwich.....sammich....seriously???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I must be missing out on some Irish subtlety.

Doubt it. Tea-Shock is exactly how I'd explain the Connacht proununciation for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    After nearly a decade in Ireland, I still cringe when I hear "Peugeot" pronounced as "Pew-jot"; It's so deeply seated in the public that even the company themselves mispronounce it in their commercials.

Funnily enough, it's pronounced relatively well in the UK, so it's not an "English speakers" thing.

Do they not say "Perr-joe" in the UK? That's even further from the French pronunciation than "Pew-joe" is!

(French would be like "puh-zjo" - with the first syllable like the u in "ugh" and the emphasis on the second syllable)

Sandwich.....sammich....seriously???

Ah now, Sammich or Sammidge is defensible...Dublin dialect...also known as Sambos, of course.
    The variant "hang-sangwiches" even occurs in Myles na Gopaleen, that venerable bastion of all things correctly Irish. ;-)

(Writing, if I remember correctly, as Flann O Brien in The Dalkey Archive.)

"hang-sangwiches in sodden flitters" as I recall...a memorable picnic, indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Padre101

People who pronounce "new" as "noo" instead of "nyoo".

One I noticed on The Apprentice - some people pronounced contribute stressing the last syllable: Contri-BUTE when it should be the second syllable that gets stressed: Con-TRI-bute.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Ah now, Sammich or Sammidge is defensible...Dublin dialect...also known as Sambos, of course.
    The variant "hang-sangwiches" even occurs in Myles na Gopaleen, that venerable bastion of all things correctly Irish. ;-)

(Writing, if I remember correctly, as Flann O Brien in The Dalkey Archive.)

"hang-sangwiches in sodden flitters" as I recall...a memorable picnic, indeed.

nope...have to disagree there....and i have a dublin accent :P

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

the Car brand Dacia:
    Irish TV ad......Dass ee ah
    English TV ad... Datch ee ah

Radio people unable to pronounce a t sound
    Twitter becomes Twidder
    Today FM Sport becomes Today FM Sporshh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just heard a radio ad for "Ethihad" airlines..... Fairly sure it was Etihad last time I looked?

Also there's another radio and for something where the woman gives the phone no. as "twenny seven, twenny seven, twenny seven". Grrrrrrrr :mad:

Also, renumeration instead of remuneration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

RTE newsreaders calling the Gardai the Goredee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

In the UK they pronounced it PERSH-oh which is completely wrong. The proper pronunciation is Pooj-oh.

No it isn't.

Don't you mean Pyoo-zho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

It lee for Italy
    Aloo min um for aluminium
    Temp ra chur for temperature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It lee for Italy
    Aloo min um for aluminium
    Temp ra chur for temperature

Americans pronounce aluminium that way because it's spelled "aluminum" in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Americans pronounce aluminium that way because it's spelled "aluminum" in the US.

Like gray, Color ,flavot etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Don't you mean Pyoo-zho?

Not a bad description. I can't think of an english word that sounds exactly or almost like the first syllable. But the second syllable sounds like Joe just with a much softer J.

You can find a lot pronunciations on youtube. Peugeot is there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Aluminum is in fact the older spelling.

This element was first identified by the British scientist Humphry Davy, who in 1808 proposed to call it "alumium", because (he predicted) it would be extracted from the naturally occurring mineral alum. He later changed his mind; in 1812 he proposed "aluminum". Others objected, saying that "aluminium" had a more classical sound. Nobody actually succeeded isolating the metal until 1825, by which time both "aluminum" and "aluminium" were in common use.

A UK/US distinction didn't really develop until much later. In 1886 an American inventor called Charles Martin Hall developed a cheap and safe process for producing the substance in commercial quantities. He preferred the term "aluminum" and he used that term in his marketing. His dominance of the commercial market for the substance as a result of his invention led that term to become dominant in the US, while the UK and Europe generally settled on "aluminium".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Matt Coopers inability to say Saturday, it's not Sahurday Matt!!!!

I live in a rural area of the south east and there is an alternative way of pronouncing a lot of things. Some that come to mind are:

weak tea = wake tay
    cold peas = cowld pays
    beat with hurley = bate with hurl
    heap of onion sandwiches = hape of ingin sangwidges
    threw the ball = thrun the ball
    no difference = no differs
    cheap = chape

apologies if some of these have already been mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

Like gray, Color ,flavot etc etc
    No, gray and grey are pronounced the same way irrespective of spelling. Likewise color and colour.

VonLuck is making the point that there are two different pronunciations for aluminium/aluminum, which are reflecting in the spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

earlytobed wrote: »
    I live in a rural area of the south east and there is an alternative way of pronouncing a lot of things. Some that come to mind are:

weak tea = wake tay
    cold peas = cowld pays
    cheap = chape

For a lot of those you'll notice the letters "ea" being the part that's pronounced differently. I would guess that it comes from Irish, because "ea" is pronounced differently in Irish and English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

weak tea = wake tay
    cold peas = cowld pays
    cheap = chape

That all sounds very look-at-your-cousin-lustfully.

weak tea = wake tay
    cold peas = cowld pays
    cheap = chape

Onion sandwiches?! Whatever way you pronounce it, that's just wrong.

On topic: Cork people seem to say joy-ant instead of giant a lot. And voy-lent instead of violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Omackeral wrote: »
    That all sounds very look-at-your-cousin-lustfully.
    The thing is city slickers have a better chance of being inbred.

Advertisement