Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying mispronunciation

1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Often heard from people who are paid handsomely to speak on radio an TV: Fillums for Films.

On a personal note I didn't correct my brother-in-law when he pronounced 'anathema' as "anna - thema" thinking to myself that only a pretentious arszehole would use the word twice in his lifetime.

Apparently he is a pretentious arzehole. Now, me being Irish and it being too late for correction without embarrassing him, I will have to murder him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

earlytobed wrote: »
    I live in a rural area of the south east and there is an alternative way of pronouncing a lot of things. Some that come to mind are:

weak tea = wake tay
    cold peas = cowld pays
    beat with hurley = bate with hurl
    heap of onion sandwiches = hape of ingin sangwidges
    threw the ball = thrun the ball
    no difference = no differs
    cheap = chape

apologies if some of these have already been mentioned
    That's some lifestyle you lead! :pac:

You'd probably be a fan of the hairdressers in north Kildare called Clane Cuts. (I don't know if it's still there.)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

My old English teacher used to pronounce minutes as min-nuits.
    I could never get my head around that, as she was non-accented apart from that (i.e. Irish accent but you wouldn't know what part of the country).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Heard a woman in the radio today talking about not getting 'ped' she meant 'paid' each time she said it I was like no please stop saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

taylor3 wrote: »
    Heard a woman in the radio today talking about not getting 'ped' she meant 'paid' each time she said it I was like no please stop saying it.
    Reminds me of the George Michael/Wham song - "Last Christmas, I GEV you my heart" - used to put a friends mother into orbit every time she heard it, that's all I can think of any time I hear it to this day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

leck wrote: »
    No, gray and grey are pronounced the same way irrespective of spelling. Likewise color and colour.

VonLuck is making the point that there are two different pronunciations for aluminium/aluminum, which are reflecting in the spelling.

I was giving examples of the different ways words in US compared to Europe are spelled not in their pronunciation .
    Are the examples given incorrect like listed aluminium in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

kyeev wrote: »
    I could never get my head around that, as she was non-accented apart from that (i.e. Irish accent but you wouldn't know what part of the country).

I think some of it is to do with different pronunciations of the same language.
    So my late aunt in Cork spoke of going on holiday to Port-u-gal, whereas for me it would have been Por-tu-gal.
    Or the radio ad decades ago for saf-e-ty matches as opposed to safe-ty matches.
    The main thing was that in both cases the meaning was understood.
    Charles Dickens - "Winders, w-i-n-d-e-r-s - go 'an clean 'em".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

kyeev wrote: »

You just reminded me of my history teacher who pronounced Stalin as Stallion :D

There's an RSA ad that drives me crazy when the guy tells you to check your tyres' thread depth. Aarrgh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

maudgonner wrote: »
    There's an RSA ad that drives me crazy when the guy tells you to check your tyres' thread depth. Aarrgh!

I've heard this so often at this stage that I've started to question what actually IS the correct word?

I've always known it to be tread, but am now doubting myself.

Am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've heard this so often at this stage that I've started to question what actually IS the correct word?

I've always known it to be tread, but am now doubting myself.

Am I right?

Yep.

Unless we're both wrong, of course :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Kildare people saying 'again' instead of against. Don't they know it's s completely different word? Are they just too lazy to finish the damn word? Either ways it's infuriating.

Advertisement