Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying mispronunciation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"Cumma" for "Comma."

yuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

T is not pronounced as S. City is not pronounced as sissy etc.

Th is not pronounced as f or ss. Growth is neither gross nor growf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Crips (Crisps) the mark of the moron...

Hostible is more moronic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

"Who owns this pens lads"

"Oh, that's mind."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

twinQuins wrote: »
    Yes, English did at one point have that pronoun but it simply doesn't exist in the modern language and hasn't for a long time.

It certainly does, as evidenced by the millions of speakers of the modern language who use yous(s), ye, y'all, you lot, etc. every day. While you might not particularly like the fact, a prescriptive approach to the existence of words is the only anachronism here.

Also, the 'th' symbol in 'the' is eth, not thorn.

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    People who pronounce Cahill which is Ka-hill as Kay-hill. It's the first for crying out load. Usually the Brits call it Kay-hill. When you correct them, they ask "are you sure?" Yes I am bloody sure, it is one of the oldest Irish surnames and it hasn't changed in hundreds of fécking years. Also had American's tell me that they were the Ma-hone-eee's as opposed to the Mahony's, I had to ask them to spell it to even get what they were saying. Also Gallagher is pronounced Gall-a-her not Gall-ag-ger. And Kirsten is not Keeer-sten, it is Kir-sten. And Ireland is Ar-land not Ire-land. I don't do well with American tourists!

No hypocrisy here then. Arland? What the actual ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

twinQuins wrote: »
    Not sure if you're being facetious here but 'ye' is actually an old spelling of 'the'. Comes from differences, over time, in type-facing the character 'thorn' (which produced the 'th' sound) in Old English. Eventually it morphed into something that looked like a 'Y'.

English is, oddly, one of the few languages that doesn't have a specific word for the pluralised form of 'you'.

I think you will find that the word ye is also old english for "you" plural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_(pronoun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Columbia wrote: »
    There was some water safety ad years ago where the narrator (who was a well-known Irish person but I've forgotten who) pronounced "safety" with three syllables. Say-feh-tee.

Mickey Joe Harte. I thought that I was the only person who found it slightly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

''this is (insert name) reporting live for OOORR T.E News''

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Nice to meet you Partrick..

• Advertisement

Also, any time that Ciaran Mullooly signs of on RTE News...

"Ciaran Mullooly, RTE News, Birrrrrrrrr"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

dd972 wrote: »
    ''this is (insert name) reporting live for OOORR T.E News''

Paul Reynolds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Also, any time that Ciaran Mullooly signs of on RTE News...

"Ciaran Mullooly, RTE News, Birrrrrrrrr"

Makes me cringe everytime!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

It annoys me when people pronounce Ireland as Arland. A friend of mine gave out about the stupid Americans not understanding where he was from when he said Arland.

I also dislike people saying becuz when pronouncing because.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

It annoys me when people pronounce Ireland as Arland. A friend of mine gave out about the stupid Americans not understanding where he was from when he said Arland.

I also dislike people saying becuz when pronouncing because.

Because why? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

I despise this way of extending / changing vowels on:

meat = mayt
    eat = ayt

"Have you ayten your mayt?"

And the ridiculously sounding:

me, for my.

"I can't find me phone."

Last one:

How "do you know what I mean?" (six syllables) can turn into a 2 syllable groan of "no-meen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

just Dublin folk - "Thats fantaaaaaaaaaastic"

Matt Cooper of Today FM (when hes not nasal-whistling into the mic) tends to say - "Sa-her-day"

A lecturer of mine used to say "Pacific" instead of "specific" - thats so bad, I'm not even sure it can be classed as a mispronunciation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

dedocdude wrote: »
    just Dublin folk - "Thats fantaaaaaaaaaastic"

Matt Cooper of Today FM (when hes not nasal-whistling into the mic) tends to say - "Sa-her-day"

A lecturer of mine used to say "Pacific" instead of "specific" - thats so bad, I'm not even sure it can be classed as a mispronunciation

That reminded me - a company I used to work for had a customer whose firm was "Pacific Widgets Co". They were in the same town. On our company database they were listed as "Specific Widgets Co." God only knows what the customer thought when they got their invoices!

I don't know if it's already been mentioned but the one that gets me is the guy on the Beds Etc. ad, perpetuating the common mispronunciation of the term et cetera, Latin, meaning "and so forth" or "and other such things".

He has a great voice for advertising voiceovers but you would think that someone, particularly a director or shareholder of Beds Etc. would know that it is not pronounced ekcetera and put him right.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kwiva-g

Maudi wrote: »
    ha.that "cousint" gets on my nerves!!

Where do people say cousint? I've never heard it before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

AAAAAAAAARR TAY AY for RTE.

How they can make a bollix of pronouncing three letters never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

"Something" pronounced as "summon"
    "Eight" pronounced as "ey"
    "My" pronouced as "me"

This isn't so much pronunciation but an accent, but I've noticed some people over stressing the last s in a word, e.g. Thanksssss, sausagesssssss

I also really dislike the American pronunciation of "Ireland": IRRE-land

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Troath

Should of

Tremenjious

Brid - pronounced Breed instead of Breege

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

CaraMay wrote: »
    And idiots who say Iteli instead of Italy and Machu instead of Matthew.

Eyetalians.

The wife told me the other day that our neighbors got a new car.

My first question, of course was "what make is it".

"I think it's an Alexus" was her reply.

"It's pronounced Lexus", I said.

"Yes" she said, "I said it was an Alexus".

Grrrrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This one's very common but people saying im-ee-JIT-ly instead of im-me-di-ate-ly. It is pronounced as it is spelled. I've no idea why so many people feel the need to that J sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

wilson10 wrote: »
    The wife told me the other day that our neighbors got a new car.

My first question, of course was "what make is it".

"I think it's an Alexus" was her reply.

"It's pronounced Lexus", I said.

"Yes" she said, "I said it was an Alexus".

Grrrrrr!

Grounds for divorce. Adivorce even :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I know all that, not everything about the English language is logical! Sometimes irregardless is used instead for emphasis, another important facet of language. It's still hanging on as an accepted word.

Well the word 'regardless' is constructed quite logically and to use 'irregardless' is illogical on the part of the user rather than the language! :confused: I don't accept that it's used for emphasis either. I've only ever heard it used in the place of 'regardless' when the person doesn't actually know the correct word is 'regardless'. It's hanging on because people don't realise it's wrong but it is definitely not right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Al Capwned wrote: »
    "Who owns this penis lads"

"Oh, that's mind."

:(

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    :(

hmmmmm - riiiight - (see, i can add extra i's too!!!) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Heard an woman talking about getting new du-vets for the beds. She pronounced the "t" every time she said the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

people saying

"That game is very addictable"

its not addictable

its addictive FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Eugh, drives me MAD when people talk about the craic they had in Chic-CARGO.

This.

Times A ZILLION.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Brian2208

people who say flavourful instead of flavoursome annoy me. Especially when the likes of Jamie Oliver say it

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jon_459

Crulety instead of cruelty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Check the dictionary for accepted pronunciations of the word.

Eugh! I can't believe it's a real pronunciation. It sounds disgusting, especially since the root word definitely isn't 'hy-jee-enn'.

Vojera wrote: »
    Eugh! I can't believe it's a real pronunciation. It sounds disgusting, especially since the root word definitely isn't 'hy-jee-enn'.

The French and Greek roots have three syllables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

No hypocrisy here then. Arland? What the actual ****?

How do you pronounce it then? The American's pronounce it i-er-land, it is a two syllable word not three.

And as for Kirsten, it is my sister's name. It is German, we were told by a German how to pronounce it. What people find annoying is a personal thing, what irks me may not irk you and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

dedocdude wrote: »

Add to that 'Thought' (instead of taught) and Taught instead of thought! Trow in Boat (instead of throw & both) > trueout the day 'wit'
    a large dollop of the CH sound from the back of his troath, and you get the 'Noos' (instead of news) from Thigh-land on a Sa-her-day :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm teaching over in Wales at the moment and I got a bit of slagging over not being able to pronounce 'th' correctly. The same people that were slagging me were also unable to pronounce it correctly - they said 'fat' or 'vat' instead of 'that'.

Some of the children say 'fat' and 'fem' so much that, when writing, they put in an 'f' instead of a 'th' in almost all of their words.

• Advertisement

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Well the word 'regardless' is constructed quite logically and to use 'irregardless' is illogical on the part of the user rather than the language! :confused: I don't accept that it's used for emphasis either. I've only ever heard it used in the place of 'regardless' when the person doesn't actually know the correct word is 'regardless'. It's hanging on because people don't realise it's wrong but it is definitely not right!

"Irregardless" is awful. If it were a word, it would mean "regarding".

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

LordSutch wrote: »
    Add to that 'Thought' (instead of taught) and Taught instead of thought! Trow in Boat (instead of throw & both) > trueout the day 'wit'
    a large dollop of the CH sound from the back of his troath, and you get the 'Noos' (instead of news) from Thigh-land on a Sa-her-day :))
    And the one that Matt says which makes me want to run over to Golden Lane and strangle him;

Tee-ay-ter

Two syllables, Matt! It's "Thea-ter"! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I'm still trying to get my head around how anyone could pronounce 'flour' with only one syllable. Honestly I can't figure it out! Same goes for 'hour' - it has two syllables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm still trying to get my head around how anyone could pronounce 'flour' with only one syllable. Honestly I can't figure it out! Same goes for 'hour' - it has two syllables.

Yes. What I've learned from this discussion is that a lot of people don't know what a syllable is.

Edit: why is that annoying little smilie there? Keeps happening when posting from my phone.

Edit:thankfully he's gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

A lot of Irish people can't seem to be able to pronounce their voiced and unvoiced dental fricatives. I don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Eugh, drives me MAD when people talk about the craic they had in Chic-CARGO.

That and Cali-FAAWNYA.
    IrishExpat wrote: »
    I despise this way of extending / changing vowels on:

meat = mayt
    eat = ayt

"Have you ayten your mayt?"

And the ridiculously sounding:

me, for my.

"I can't find me phone."

Last one:

How "do you know what I mean?" (six syllables) can turn into a 2 syllable groan of "no-meen".

Ahh that's just bogger accent. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rachel Allen in her cookery programme --

"You pet the piece of better into the pat and melt it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Rachel Allen in her cookery programme --

"You pet the piece of better into the pat and melt it".

Ugh. She has said in the past that she's "part Swedish, hence my accent".
    That's a load of bullpoo; she's putting on that faux posh accent.

She probably has the flattest Dublin accent in real life.

"Ya put the buttah into yizzer mixing bowwal and den battah the fcuk ourra it, lash into de oven and in farty minutes, ya have yizzer spunj cake, ri'?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hate plebs who can't pronounce my name, the idiots!!

Lord Mainwaring Menzies Featherstonhaugh Beauchamp Cholmondley-Cockburn, Earl of Buccleuch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I had a teacher once that for vinegar she used to say "vi-ni**er" with a very distinct pronunciation on the ni**ger, it didn't help that there was a black guy in the class :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement