Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying mispronunciation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Lord Mainwaring Menzies Featherstonhaugh Beauchamp Cholmondley-Cockburn, Earl of Buccleuch.

Or "Boss" as all the lads on the site call you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    They are Irish surnames so the way they are pronounced here is the correct way. Same as the way Irish people pronounce Lukasz (Polish and the u is more of a woo I have been told) as Lucas, it's wrong because the original pronunciation in the home country is the correct one. When the Irish landed in America over the last few centuries and were processed on arrival, many Irish surnames were written incorrectly and misspelled, meaning their pronunciation was on many occasion due to the new spelling, but if it is spelled the same then there is really no excuse.

You do realise that those 'Irish' names have been anglicised and so, really, you're mispronouncing them regardless? Also, surnames change their pronunciations, it happens over time, especially if you have two surnames that find themselves removed from the other. Which, in your opinion, is the correct pronunciation? My surname has at least three different pronunciations. And that's even before we go into the different (proper) Irish versions.

I would be very surprised if the pronunciation of 'Lukasz' in Polish was completely uniform. I take it there are dialects in Polish?
    And as for Kirsten, it is my sister's name. It is German, we were told by a German how to pronounce it.

This is the same Germany that has so many dialects that people from the north sometimes have difficulty understanding those from the south? As for Lukasz, I am sure different Germans will pronounce your sister's name differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

loike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Why can't some Irish people say Olly Murs's name properly? It annoys me so much.
    They say it like "Olly Moooooooooooors". They sound like a distressed cow. It's "u" FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

anyone notice the way ellen degeneres says hilarious? like 'hil-arr-ious'. It annoys me (love her though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I started pronouncing definitely like defi-night-ly in an ironic way a while back and now I can't stop :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm not sure if I'm wrong here and missed something but did anyone else notice the way when talking about Nelson Mandela the RTE presenters say apartheid as a-par-thayed whereas I thought it's supposed to be a-par-thide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

A guy I knew from childhood used to pronounce bounce as bongse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

T-shock instead of Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

Digital DIJIKAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I hate plebs who can't pronounce my name, the idiots!!

Lord Mainwaring Menzies Featherstonhaugh Beauchamp Cholmondley-Cockburn, Earl of Buccleuch.

Lord Mannering Mingus Fanshaw Beecham Chumley-Coeburn. Earl of Buckloo, please to meet you.

I'm Sir St. John Dalziel Leveson-Gower Belvoir Leominster, Marquis of Slaithwaite and Heckmondwike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Why can't some Irish people say Olly Murs's name properly? It annoys me so much.
    They say it like "Olly Moooooooooooors". They sound like a distressed cow. It's "u" FFS!!!
    Olly who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

don't get me started , The word Specific. Don't know how many people I know can't say the word........When using the word they say "PACIFIC"....wrecks my head:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

don't get me started , The word Specific. Don't know how many people I know can't say the word........When using the word they say "PACIFIC"....wrecks my head:mad:

There was a guy I worked with who used to always say "pacifically"; I used to reply with "atlantically". I still think he's confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

123 LC wrote: »
    anyone notice the way ellen degeneres says hilarious? like 'hil-arr-ious'. It annoys me (love her though!)

Yeah he's great

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How do you pronounce it then? The American's pronounce it i-er-land, it is a two syllable word not three.

And as for Kirsten, it is my sister's name. It is German, we were told by a German how to pronounce it. What people find annoying is a personal thing, what irks me may not irk you and vice versa.

Yes, two syllables, 'ire' as in anger, to rhyme with 'hire' and 'lyre' but not 'higher' and 'liar'.

Kirsten has a long 'i' in German (like Keersten thus) so your pronouncing it 'Kursten' (which you're entitled to do) is the equivalent of an English Cahill pronouncing her name Kay-hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is a fella on rte radio right now who has ****ed up every th sound for the 10 minutes he has been on air.

Aspiring wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm wrong here and missed something but did anyone else notice the way when talking about Nelson Mandela the RTE presenters say apartheid as a-par-thayed whereas I thought it's supposed to be a-par-thide.

No, there's no 'th' sound. The t and h are pronouced separately.
    I'm still trying to get my head around how anyone could pronounce 'flour' with only one syllable. Honestly I can't figure it out! Same goes for 'hour' - it has two syllables.

'hour' and 'flour' have one syllable in my accent; 'power' and 'flower' have two. Some people are unable to pronounce them, or even hear them as one syllable, like with 'film'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

'hour' and 'flour' have one syllable in my accent; 'power' and 'flower' have two. Some people are unable to pronounce them, or even hear them as one syllable, like with 'film'.

Film has one syllable, I agree.

But how do you pronounce 'flour'? I say it exactly like 'flower' so can't get my head around the other way. Is it like 'flur' or something the way you say it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Pacific/specific and sangwhich are the ones that bother me the most.

I was in a cafe a while ago and there was a middle aged woman who KEPT saying sangwhich in all seriousness. There was no way she didn't know it was wrong, she just didn't fancy speaking properly that day.

Speak like a grown up, woman. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭circadian

I dislike the way I say how now brown cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hostible is more moronic

Both are usually a speech impediment or a sign that someone may be a bit hard of hearing.

There are loads of people who don't know they're slightly deaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

The way a certain RTE newsreader pronounces 'sexual' she always say sexsual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Fifth is not fith
    fifty is not fitty
    Dust is not desht

Grr!

Some others are gramattically wrong but I quite like.

Hundred pronounced as hundert
    Wednesday pronouned as Winge-dy (as in rhymes with whinge)

I must say I prefer people on TV who use their own accent rather than attempting to adopt a neutral accent that just makes them all sound alike and not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

Digital - I've heard people say it like Digi-kal

Another one goes back to when i was in school and annoys me to this day is "chung gums"

It's chewing gum you dummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

CaraMay wrote: »
    Just heard a woman say fabolous aghhhh it's not 'fabolous' it's fabulous!! People who say disSipline instead of discipline are very annoying.

she was clearly talking about this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuFfPdlfmzo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

asshume instead of assume

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Califawnya annoys me - my mother does it all the time. Can't say much else really gets on my nerves.

One that makes me laugh is instead of "Do you remember", you get "Jamember".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Astrix instead of asterisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

"bollix", ITS ya f**king BOLLOCKS

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

I can pronounce it.

It's pronounced like this: Lord Mannaring Mingies Fanshaw Beecham Chumly-Coburn, Earl of Buckloo.

You can't get a more British name than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Weren't you married to Lady Natasha Letitia Sarah Jane Wellesley Obstromsky Ponsonsky Smythe Smythe Smythe Smythe Smythe Oblomov Boblomov Dob, 3rd Viscountess of Moldavia?

Wurly wrote: »
    My mam INSISTS on calling the local Spar, Paddy's. Because it was called Paddy's about 30 years ago.

I still call it Paddy's......

Film has one syllable, I agree.

But how do you pronounce 'flour'? I say it exactly like 'flower' so can't get my head around the other way. Is it like 'flur' or something the way you say it?

[flaʊ̯ɹ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Give us a cup of tay and a corn baif sandwich. Ye can't bait that mait.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Hemlet instead of helmet

Seriously though, some of ye (lol) are so pretentious. There's nothing wrong with leaving out a few t's or adding an extra syllable in words like film. Different accents are natural and interesting ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

Funkfield wrote: »
    Weren't you married to Lady Natasha Letitia Sarah Jane Wellesley Obstromsky Ponsonsky Smythe Smythe Smythe Smythe Smythe Oblomov Boblomov Dob, 3rd Viscountess of Moldavia?

Yeah, I was. Her name is pronounced Lady Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    Hemlet instead of helmet

Seriously though, some of ye (lol) are so pretentious. There's nothing wrong with leaving out a few t's or adding an extra syllable in words like film. Different accents are natural and interesting ffs.

Amen to that. Even within our own country there's so many different accents and ways of pronouncing words. You can't please everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TadhgL16

Do you know? being replaced with Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If people from every corner of Ireland spoke and pronounced their words in exactly the same way, would the country not be far more bland?
    Likewise if everyone in the English speaking world pronounced every word the exact same, we'd live in a fairly boring world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Was typing the word 'vulnerable' earlier and realised I thought it was spelled 'vunerable'..I guess I don't pronounce the L.

I am one of those annoying people.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

This one doesn't seemed to have been mentioned yet: I absolutely despise when RTE presenters or politicians pronounce "fi-nance" as "finn-ance" despite every ordinary person saying the former. Just another way for them to put distance between themselves and us peasants :rolleyes:

Well as far as I can see, most ordinary people say "fi-nance," or maybe I'm deluded :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gash ...it is Gáis actually. :D

Uiscí instead of Iascaigh.

And thats just what the muppets in RTE manage on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

kingcobra wrote: »
    This one doesn't seemed to have been mentioned yet: I absolutely despise when RTE presenters or politicians pronounce "fi-nance" as "finn-ance" despite every ordinary person saying the former. Just another way for them to put distance between themselves and us peasants :rolleyes:

Well as far as I can see, most ordinary people say "fi-nance," or maybe I'm deluded :pac:

It's definitely a Brian Dobson thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Data pronounced as DATEa.

Status pronounced as STATEus.

Condatis wrote: »
    Data pronounced as DATEa.

Status pronounced as STATEus.

neither of which are mispronunciations, and are completely acceptable.

• Advertisement

How do people decide whether they're mispronunciations or acceptable pronunciations?

How do people decide whether they're mispronunciations or acceptable pronunciations?

Dictionaries.

summerskin wrote: »
    Dictionaries.

Yeah but how do the people that write the dictionary decide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Yeah but how do the people that write the dictionary decide?

They use a thesaurus :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is an irregular verb: I pronounce, you mispronounce, he mangles it completely. :) Pronounciation changes with external influences. The RTE/Dortspeak is influenced by East Enders, Home and Away, failed attempts at BBC received pronounciation (RP), Northern Irish and other imported UK programmes whereas TV3 is influenced by imported US programmes.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement