Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fee paying schools - free education scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Yeah, they can't have the best of both worlds. If they want to be a prestigious, fee-paying school then the taxpayer shouldn't have to subsidize them. If they want to operate under the free education scheme then drop the fees like all of the other schools under the free education scheme have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

I think that fee paying and grind schools should be abolished. Its so unjust that some students are entitled to a better education simply because their parents can afford it. People like me, who attend regular school must compete against the likes of those in Leeson Street who aren't obliged to waste time on PE/religion/other futile classes, who also have some of the top teachers in the country teaching them and have constant study facilities available to them. Its unfair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

attachment.php?attachmentid=30990&d=1354281807

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

attachment.php?attachmentid=30990&d=1354281807

Haha, maybe I do have a chip on the ol' shoulder but thats just my opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

So wanting a fair educational system means you have a chip on your shoulder now? I'd have expected more from a Mod on here tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I think that fee paying and grind schools should be abolished. Its so unjust that some students are entitled to a better education simply because their parents can afford it. People like me, who attend regular school must compete against the likes of those in Leeson Street who aren't obliged to waste time on PE/religion/other futile classes, who also have some of the top teachers in the country teaching them and have constant study facilities available to them. Its unfair.

If I could afford that kind of education you'd bet I would avail of it, so that's not really fair to say. I can definitely see where you're coming from, having been envious of the rich kids all my life as well, but it's not fair to drag them down just because we can't afford to go where they go.

It's been said in this forum many times that no matter whether you go to a public school or a top notch private school, you have the ability to do well if you put in the work. Granted, the people who aren't being spoon-fed the best notes and the best teachers might have to work a little harder but it's still there to be attained.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

So wanting a fair educational system means you have a chip on your shoulder now? I'd have expected more from a Mod on here tbh.

your perception of fair might be different to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charliemant

What about schools like rock many students could go for free education but may have to leave because its going fully private and 5 day boarders pay 9k+ but government insists that it should only cost 6k for a boarder but that's what it costs for a day pupil

Advertisement