Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog just ate a Nectarine stone! :(

• 01-04-2013 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Somehow my dog is just after swallowing a nectarine pit (the entire stone) whole. No chewing, just gulped it down.

I've been reading that nectarine pits contain cyanide so I'm really worried now and I can't find a vet that's open now. :(

Also, I'm worried she won't be able to pass it. She's a samoyed but she's tiny for her breed - about the size of a king charles - I hope she doesn't get a blockage.

Has anyone else been through this before? Is there anything I can do to help her pass it like give her some olive oil or anything?

I'm sick with worry that this will cause her some intestinal blockage or similar!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have you tried calling your vets - they normally have an out of hours number even if they're closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I second TK's suggestion, call an out of hours vet, they all have an emergency number that you will be given if you ring the normal number. Especially if she's that small she's only a pup so it would be best get her seen to asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Update: Finally found a vet that was open. They gave her an injection to vomit up the stone. All good now! Thanks for the replies guys. Such a relief now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

is it a pup to be that size?!

• Advertisement

No, she's fully grown. She was the runt of the litter and just exceptionally small :o

Moyglish wrote: »
    No, she's fully grown. She was the runt of the litter and just exceptionally small :o
    and is it definitley a samoyed?! sounds awfully small even for a runt. fella near me has one and it's bigger than my labradors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like its a jap spitz. There's no way a sammie would be that small, even a bad one...
    Have you a photo?

andreac wrote: »
    Sounds like its a jap spitz. There's no way a sammie would be that small, even a bad one...
    Have you a photo?
    just what i was thinking

She's 100% a Sammy!

Defintely not a Jap Spitz. Saw both her parents when we got her and they were Samoyeds for sure - though her mother wasn't exactly huge either.

She's just under 14kg in weight - have asked vets before about her size, they didn't make much of it and just said she's small for her size and that as she's in perfect condition and health and the right weight for her size they never made anything about it.

• Advertisement

She's 100% a Sammy!

Defintely not a Jap Spitz. Saw both her parents when we got her and they were Samoyeds for sure - though her mother wasn't exactly huge either.

She's just under 14kg in weight - have asked vets before about her size, they didn't make much of it and just said she's small for her size and that as she's in perfect condition and health and the right weight for her size they never made anything about it.

Just because you saw both dogs doesn't mean they are def the parents. 14kg is very very small and I could honestly say there's no way that's a sammy. Can you post a photo please?

She's definitely not a spitz! :P

You said she was the size of a King Charles?? But she's way bigger than that.
    That's why I couldn't figure out why she could be that small.
    She actually looks quite normal size for a female sammy if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

She's definitely not a spitz! :P

She's gorgeous! :D

A friends King Charles is about the same size as her, but perhaps he's unusally large! :)

She's 100% a Sammy, but she is rather small despite being fully grown.

She's much smaller than other friends sammy's but she's in perfect health in all other respects so it's not a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rozelia21

She is beautiful! Glad she's ok now. :)

Would love to see a pic of that King Charles lol.
    She's lovely though. I just couldn't picture a sammy as small as a King Charles but she looks fine to me.

14kg is very very small and I could honestly say there's no way that's a sammy. Can you post a photo please?

Well as you said yourself 14kg is very small for a Sammy. She may be small but she's perfectly formed and very much loved!

Spoiled rotten of course as well, has to sleep on the bed every night and up on the couch to watch TV in the evenings! lol

She was a little groggy earlier after the injection, but she's fine now thankfully and back to her playful self.

In retrospect she probably would have been fine and passed the stone naturally, would prefer not to take chances though in case it did cause a blockage and she'd need surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would have thought 14kg would be about right for a sammy bitch, sure they're mostly fur, and what does that weigh? :p

Glad that she's okay, you're right, not worth taking the chance.

I honestly thought a sammy would have been way heavier than that. My Rottie bitch is small and she's 36kg and I would have thought a female sammy would have been around the same or bit less but not 14kg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I think the range for bitches is around 16-21kg, so she is a bit small, but she looks lovely in the photos.

Andrea, can't believe Flo is 36kg :eek:

ISDW wrote: »
    I think the range for bitches is around 16-21kg, so she is a bit small, but she looks lovely in the photos.

Andrea, can't believe Flo is 36kg :eek:

Yeah I know. And I keep her very light too. Cooper is usually 49/50kg do she's considerably smaller so that's why I couldn't believe sammies were that light.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Have you a photo?
    Just because you saw both dogs doesn't mean they are def the parents. 14kg is very very small and I could honestly say there's no way that's a sammy. Can you post a photo please?
    You said she was the size of a King Charles?? But she's way bigger than that.
    That's why I couldn't figure out why she could be that small.
    She actually looks quite normal size for a female sammy if you ask me.

This is quite the Spanish inquisition, and is a style of posting which is becoming tiresome. Please, when posting looking for more information, or to express an opinion, try to find a style which does not come across, in the written word at least, as so demanding and, quite frankly, nosey.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Moyglish she is just loooooooovely! :o I opened the pics and I couldn't help myself - I went "aaaaaaaaaah!" :P

Advertisement