Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REGISTERING PUPS WITH IKC

• 01-04-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi All
    Our dog has had 2 liiters of pups in just under 12 months. 346 days apart. First
    litter were registered with IKC.
    Ideally We would have preferred a couple of more months before She had them
    but her heats are irregular. We are not going to breed from her again for a couple of years if at all. Had her vet checked before putting her in pup this
    time and all was fine. So question is Will the IkC have any issues registering them this time around?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

**Sigh** they probably won't - which is why they kind of suck tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

tk123 wrote: »

Thanks TK. Interesting...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

They may actually register them. The ikc code of ethics rules state
    .I shall not allow to be mated any bitch kept by me
    (a) under one year of age,
    (b) or over eight years of age,
    (c) whelp more than six litters in her lifetime,
    (d) IN ANY THREE YEAR PERIOD NOT MORE THAN 3 LITTERS ARE TO BE BORN TO A BITCH
    (e) or dogs to mate under seven months or over the age of twelve years.
    Permission must be sought and granted by the Irish Kennel Club to exceed these provisions.

So your two litters in one year may come in under (d).

Contacting the kennel club is the easiest way to clear up the issue.

Aru wrote: »
    They may actually register them. The ikc code of ethics rules state
    .I shall not allow to be mated any bitch kept by me
    (a) under one year of age,
    (b) or over eight years of age,
    (c) whelp more than six litters in her lifetime,
    (d) IN ANY THREE YEAR PERIOD NOT MORE THAN 3 LITTERS ARE TO BE BORN TO A BITCH
    (e) or dogs to mate under seven months or over the age of twelve years.
    Permission must be sought and granted by the Irish Kennel Club to exceed these provisions.

So your two litters in one year may come in under (d).

Contacting the kennel club is the easiest way to clear up the issue.

Thanks Aru,
    Yes I had read those terms of the ikc and was surprised to be told by someone that they probably wouldn't register them so I decided to
    ask the question here. Maybe someone has some first hand experience.
    I don't believe We have breached any of the terms.
    As you say best to check with the IKC.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why did you want or need to breed again So soon? Surely you could have waited until her next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

They may have confused the Irish and British kennel club regulations as they are different.

The British kennel club rules are more stringent and would not allow two litters to be registered in the one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

andreac wrote: »
    Why did you want or need to breed again So soon? Surely you could have waited until her next season?

Agree with this.

Unfortunately the IKC will register the litter. Irregular heats or not I can't understand why someone would do this unless their sole purpose was to make money out of the poor dog.

Thanks All,
    This dog was not bought to make money, She is young, well looked after and a much loved family pet.
    She may never have pups again.
    Yes there seems to have been confusion with the Uk club.

Cheers

Espoo wrote: »
    Thanks All,
    This dog was not bought to make money, She is young, well looked after and a much loved family pet.
    She may never have pups again.
    Yes there seems to have been confusion with the Uk club.

Cheers

That may be so, but you chose to breed her twice within short space of time, for what reasons? If she's a much loved family pet you wouldn't be breeding her and even more so you wouldn't breed her twice so quickly and put her through having another litter that soon again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

When you say that you had her vet checked before putting her in pup again, do you mean the vet examined her and declared her healthy, or did you do the genetic health tests that her breed can suffer from?

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    When you say that you had her vet checked before putting her in pup again, do you mean the vet examined her and declared her healthy, or did you do the genetic health tests that her breed can suffer from?

Good question. Yes both tests were done

Thanks.

Good question. Yes both tests were done

Thanks.

You don't seem to want to answer my questions as to why she was bred twice so quick within short space of time? Surely if you had valid reason you would be able to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

You don't seem to want to answer my questions as to why she was bred twice so quick within short space of time? Surely if you had valid reason you would be able to say?

maybe they think its none of your business :rolleyes:

Sorry Andreac
    Yeah We are better positioned now to take care of mother and pups. Coming in to good time of year too. As said in my first post We would have preferred if it was a few more months. Appreciate your concerns.

Thanks

PucaMama wrote: »
    maybe they think its none of your business :rolleyes:

Well if they wanted to keep it private then it shouldn't be on a public forum looking for advice and info.

Sorry Andreac
    Yeah We are better positioned now to take care of mother and pups. Coming in to good time of year too. As said in my first post We would have preferred if it was a few more months. Appreciate your concerns.

Thanks
    We're you breeding to sell them all or keep any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

tk123 wrote: »

Just to clarify I meant they probably won't have an issue with registering which again is why they kind of suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

That may be so, but you chose to breed her twice within short space of time, for what reasons? If she's a much loved family pet you wouldn't be breeding her and even more so you wouldn't breed her twice so quickly and put her through having another litter that soon again.

andreac the OP isn't asking for advice on breeding.Please keep to the topic at hand thanks.Their question was about IKC registering, nothing else. If you want to explain why it's not a good idea to breed so close together by all means if the OP wants info, but don't bombard them with questions that they may or may not want to answer.

Advertisement