Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

entitlements during unpaid additional materity leave

Options
  • 01-04-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just a quick question I hope someone here can help. Under the terms of my employment, I am entitled to 5 days of study leave when attending a course directly related to my employment. My staff handbook states that leave is granted at the disgretion of the employer.
    I am in year 3 of a degree. I have recently returned from maternity leave (including unpaid additional maternity leave) and my employer has notified me that my entitlement to study leave is to be pro-rataed because I took the unpaid additional maternity leave.
    The employer has not pro-rataed study leave for any other employeee in the past. Can they do this??? I understood that all rights and entitlements (excluding pay) were protected while on maternity leave?
    Thanks in advance of the very helpful replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know for holiday / public holidays it is as if you worked, but other benefits can be dependant on working in the time.

I think only the Citizens Information could advise on this as it is subjective. The act only mentions that you should have the same entitlement as someone who was working while you were on maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

You mention that the study leave is at the discretion of your employer. As long as that is stated clearly in your contract then it is entirely as it says - at their discretion. They can give some, all or none and that is at their discretion. As long as they don't explicitly say 'we're not giving you all 5 days cos you got pregnant' I can't see that there is anything wrong with what they are doing. Disappointing for you but I can't see there is anything you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Seems fair to me
    Your company gives 5 days per year

This year you will not work a full year so they are pro rating it down.

On top of that they have clearly stated that all study leave will be at their discretion

Belts and braces from the company here

Advertisement