Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does being a Catholic priest in Ireland, make you more likely to be a paedophile?

Options
  • 01-04-2013 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Perhaps not the correct forum so Mods please move this thread if necessary, I PM'ed an AH mod asking about it but got no reply.

I was recently having a discussion with a friend over whether being an ordained member of the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland made a man more likely to have become a convicted paedophile than if he, say for example, worked as a carpenter. It was my belief that if figures were available, statistics would show that there are many more convicted paedophiles (percentage-wise) who are priests than those from any other single profession.

My assumption is based on the fact that enforced celibacy makes a man more likely to turn to paedophilia. I believe this because the suppression of natural sexual urges for decades in a priest, is in my opinion unhealthy and makes the priest more likely to abuse children, as he cannot have open relations with adults and he believes he can swear a child to secrecy in order to fulfil his urges.

Am I making an unfair generalisation by imagining this? Are there any statistics that can provide an answer? What do you think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

This is guaranteed to go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The question is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

S0crates wrote: »
    Perhaps not the correct forum so Mods please move this thread if necessary, I PM'ed an AH mod asking about it but got no reply.

I was recently having a discussion with a friend over whether being an ordained member of the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland made a man more likely to have become a convicted paedophile than if he, say for example, worked as a carpenter. It was my belief that if figures were available, statistics would show that there are many more convicted paedophiles (percentage-wise) who are priests than those from any other single profession.

My assumption is based on the fact that enforced celibacy makes a man more likely to turn to paedophilia. I believe this because the suppression of natural sexual urges for decades in a priest, is in my opinion unhealthy and makes the priest more likely to abuse children, as he cannot have open relations with adults and he believes he can swear a child to secrecy in order to fulfil his urges.

Am I making an unfair generalisation by imagining this? Are there any statistics that can provide an answer? What do you think?

Are you implying that being ordained in another country would make him less likely to be a paedo? Are Irish Kids more attractive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Yes of course

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

Your right.

I think that the reason that there are many gay paedophile priests today is that when they were younger they were too ashamed to come out as gay because it would have looked very bad on the family so they preffered to become a priest and be with men most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

sfbonner wrote: »
    Your right.

I think that the reason that there are many gay paedophile priests today is that when they were younger they were too ashamed to come out as gay because it would have looked very bad on the family so they preffered to become a priest and be with men most of the time.

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

TheBody wrote: »
    Are you implying that being ordained in another country would make him less likely to be a paedo? Are Irish Kids more attractive?

Ha no not at all, the question was merely relevant in an Irish context. This is not a trolling thread by the way, I genuinely am interested in other people's opinions. I would love to arrive at a definitive conclusion based on evidence as I feel people's prejudices may affect their beliefs, including my own of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

"My assumption is based on the fact that enforced celibacy makes a man more likely to turn to paedophilia. I believe this because the suppression of natural sexual urges for decades in a priest, is in my opinion unhealthy and makes the priest more likely to abuse children, as he cannot have open relations with adults and he believes he can swear a child to secrecy in order to fulfil his urges."

This has got to be the most ignorant, self important crap I have ever read. You are either trolling or an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

No. The fact that you have to even ask this shows how little you know about paedophilia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It's their choice to become a priest, isn't it?

So my answer would be 'No'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Your right.

You're equating gays with paedophiles. :rolleyes:

If the only thing the church had to worry about was gay priests then they wouldn't be facing the huge scandals that they have faced.

Gay people are no more likely to abuse children than straight people are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm no fan of the Catholic Church (or any other religion), and I have nothing to do with priests.

But I still wish people would fúck off with threads like this. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sfbonner

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You're equating gays with paedophiles. :rolleyes:

If the only thing the church had to worry about was gay priests then they wouldn't be facing the huge scandals that they have faced.

Gay people are no more likely to abuse children than straight people are.

No im not. Just saying that in the news I see its mostly male children being abused by the b*stards.

Riamfada wrote: »
    "My assumption is based on the fact that enforced celibacy makes a man more likely to turn to paedophilia. I believe this because the suppression of natural sexual urges for decades in a priest, is in my opinion unhealthy and makes the priest more likely to abuse children, as he cannot have open relations with adults and he believes he can swear a child to secrecy in order to fulfil his urges."

This has got to be the most ignorant, self important crap I have ever read. You are either trolling or an idiot.

Please explain in more detail why I am either trolling or an idiot, based on my opinions. I admit I have no expertise on this issue and am making inferences based on my prejudices. As a result of this, I seek impartial, conclusive evidence either to support or refute my beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Might make sense to actually read up on paedophilia and its definition before continuing op. Perhaps you mean general molestation?

And bear in mind that statistically when comparing to the average, you're either going to be above or below it. It's only relevant when it's significant. I think the key word in your statement is convicted, maybe some professions would be more likely to be found out than others, maybe they're under more scrutiny or something, so bear in mind conviction rates may have nothing to do with offence rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I saw an article on the BBC site a while back. the number of paedophiles in the catholic church is the exact same percentage as the normal population. There is no more likelyhood of a priest being a paedophile than there is for any profession.

The reason it's linked to it is because the church covered up so much and bad priests could reoffend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

No im not. Just saying that in the news I see its mostly male children being abused by the b*stards.

Altar servers were traditionally boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

My assumption is based on the fact that enforced celibacy makes a man more likely to turn to paedophilia.

Paedophilia is a very disturbing and destructive mental illness, not a lifestyle choice.
    'As a medical diagnosis, pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in persons 16 years of age or older typically characterized by a primary or exclusive sexual interest toward prepubescent children (generally age 11 years or younger, though specific diagnosis criteria for the disorder extends the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13)'.

And there's no significant correlation between homosexuality and paedophilia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That doesn't mean the priests are gay. Just that they are paedophiles that prey on boys.

In the same way that a male paedophile in the secular community could be married, never have indulged in gay activity and abuse young boys. That does not make them 'gay' it makes them 'paedophiles'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

S0crates wrote: »

It's unfair on all the good Irish Catholic priests who are not paedophiles.

If there were stats it could be interesting reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

No. The fact that you have to even ask this shows how little you know about paedophilia

Replace paedophilia with "sexually abusing children" then which is what he's actually talking about. And he's 100% correct in what he's saying. Someone trying to suppress sexual urges are more likely to abuse children. Case and point is the widespread abuse of kids by "abstinent" catholic priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

It doesn't make you more likely to be a paedophile, just that you will be the butt of a lot of jokes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I wouldn't trust any priest to be around children on their own, regardless of whether they are a "good priest" or not.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Might make sense to actually read up on paedophilia and its definition before continuing op. Perhaps you mean general molestation?

And bear in mind that statistically when comparing to the average, you're either going to be above or below it. It's only relevant when it's significant. I think the key word in your statement is convicted, maybe some professions would be more likely to be found out than others, maybe they're under more scrutiny or something, so bear in mind conviction rates may have nothing to do with offence rates.

Indeed I could have worded the OP in a better way.
    I chose to use the term "conviction" because I am not interested in unproven allegations which I believe would cause this thread to descend into an anecdotal farce if allowed to. Convictions are factual and allegations/speculation are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Replace paedophilia with "sexually abusing children" then which is what he's actually talking about. And he's 100% correct in what he's saying. Someone trying to suppress sexual urges are more likely to abuse children. Case and point is the widespread abuse of kids by "abstinent" catholic priests.

There aren't a greater percentage of priests who abuse though. The number of priests who abused children is the same percentage per population as any other profession.

The church covered it up though so it meant a dodgy priest could offend again and again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

DarkJager wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust any priest to be around children on their own, regardless of whether they are a "good priest" or not.

That's a bit unfair, not all priests are bad or evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

My uncle is a priest who sometimes minds his small great nieces/nephews. I must advise their parents to put a stop to it immediately, because the mere fact he's a priest indicates there's a strong chance he'll abuse them. The fact he minded me and my siblings/cousins when we were small, and he didn't abuse us, won't stand in the way of my hate-filled, nasty prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

In fairness for the vast majority of people in the country the local priest is either a stranger or an acquaintance at the very most, I personally would not be leaving my child with anyone who falls into those categories regardless of their chosen profession. Be they priest, guard, doctor or whatever. It's just common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Paedophilia is a very disturbing and destructive mental illness, not a lifestyle choice.

But what about a situation where legions of young men join an organisation that requires enforced celibacy, where they have no ability to have any physical intimacy with women (or men) In this scenario could a culture arise where some individuals prey on the only vulnerable group they have ready access to.... children.
    And where this culture is covered up to limit damage to the organisation, could it flourish? The answer is yes. I don't think for a second that every priest who interfered with a child was a paedophile when they started out. I'd imagine in many cases a whole host of conditions led them down this path, and when it wasnt stopped or punished, it proliferated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

HondaSami wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair, not all priests are bad or evil.

Only one in three catholic priests / religous brothers abused children. A bit unfair on the other 2.

Advertisement