Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Thomas Street area

Options
  • 01-04-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Im looking at renting and found a few nice places in the area, they are a bit cheaper hence why they caught my eye. So Im wondering what the area between Thomas street and cork street is like? It seems like a quiet enough area.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I used to work in the area a few years ago and it had a problem with junkies hanging around and dealing. May have changed recently though?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I lived there for a while and loved it. its a great place to live:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You can be unlucky anywhere but I know people who moved into that area and unfortunately were down the road from a family that were 'known to the Gardaí'.

Cue nights of parties, fights on the street, cars getting smashed up, ambulances and squad cars at three in the morning etc.

So maybe try to get a feel of the place before you commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's a grand enough spot, you do get the odd junkie knocking about though which might explain the lower prices

• Registered Users Posts: 13 valerie75

not the nicest area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's a place you'll need to keep your wits about you. It's not too bad these days, but the places are cheaper for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Living just off Thomas Street for a few years now, and I love it. Never had any bother from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Living just off Thomas Street for a few years now, and I love it. Never had any bother from anyone.

Same here - almost 2 years in the area (closer to the quays than towards Cork St though) and very happy here, extremely convenient for work in the city centre.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Same here - almost 2 years in the area (closer to the quays than towards Cork St though) and very happy here, extremely convenient for work in the city centre.

I third that. I live just off Thomas St almost a year now. No issues, love the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

I've lived off Thomas St. (near Francis St) for a couple of years now and love it.

Yes, you will find lads drinking down some side streets but I tend to find that they're mainly old lads from the the homeless shelters having some cans as opposed to junkies. Aesthetically it may put some people off but I've never had any issues walking around.

You've a decent off license on Francis St. Tesco & Lidl on Thomas St. and plenty of butchers and a fruit & veg shop on Meath St. Also, you're only a short walk to Dame St/Georges St/Stephens Green so buses or taxis are rarely required.

I don't know the Cork St end of the area too well but commenting on the area in general as a place to live I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I've lived off Thomas St. (near Francis St) for a couple of years now and love it.

Yes, you will find lads drinking down some side streets but I tend to find that they're mainly old lads from the the homeless shelters having some cans as opposed to junkies. Aesthetically it may put some people off but I've never had any issues walking around.

You've a decent off license on Francis St. Tesco & Lidl on Thomas St. and plenty of butchers and a fruit & veg shop on Meath St. Also, you're only a short walk to Dame St/Georges St/Stephens Green so buses or taxis are rarely required.

I don't know the Cork St end of the area too well but commenting on the area in general as a place to live I love it.

Living off Thomas St for the past 4 years. Agree with all of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dublinjody

I live just off Thomas St. and like the above repliers, I love it. I've been here a year now and never had any issues. The area has character and is just a hop skip and a jump from Town. There are also tonnes of shops and little Cafes around.
    I was a bit apprehensive about moving there but now I love it.

Advertisement