Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second barrel, same calibre, 2 licences??

• 01-04-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I am in the process of getting a second barrel for my .22. I would like to keep the original barrel.
    Do I require another license for this seperate barrel even though It is the same calibre .22lr?
    Can I substitute this new barrel for the old one and if so will I have to pay another € 80 license fee for this?
    If I do substitute the new for old can I attempt to sell the old but perfectly good original barrel?

Baker.22

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No extra license, no fee, no nothing.

One of the few good things we got. Once the barrel is of the same caliber as the license you hold then you need to do nothing.

With regard selling your original barrel. You can but only to a person with a license for the same caliber.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Thanks Cass,
    The issue I do have with this is that I will be purchasing the barrel from a gunshop in the north who will send this barrel to a dealer in the south with proper import license etc. The dealer says that he cannot release this barrel to me without a license for this barrel with the seriel on it? Should I go and talk to my local FO and see if they can give me some paperwork etc. I dont really mind paying for another license but I would then officially have 2 guns which would restrict my ability to purchase other firearms (more than 4 etc, storage) for compeditive shooting.

Whats your opinion of the above?
    Baker.22

I have bought numerous barrels, the last one from the UK. The custom barrels do not have serial numbers on it. If your FO pushed the issue then you could have the serial number of your rifle engraved onto the barrel, but that is not a legal requirement.

As for your dealer he is wrong. You DO need to legally import the barrel so you are covered on the end by your dealer doing it. However if you provide/show him your current .22lr rifle license he can release the barrel to you on that. He does not need to have a serial number put on it. However if the barrel comes with a serial number you simply inform your FO that you are getting a spare barrel, and give him the details of the barrel including serial number.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Meant to say that spare barrels do not count as another firearm. Even if it has a different serial number. Only if it is a different caliber that demands a new license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Many Thanks Cass

• Advertisement

I'm not saying your dealer is being purposely awkward. I'd say it's just a matter of him covering his ass to the point he is requesting stuff that is not necessary.

Explain to him it is not needed, and you should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

How would it work if you had a .22 lr and bought a .22 magnum barrel? These are basically the same calibre, at least on the licence they're both referred to as .22 inches.

I'd imagine it would come down to chambering rather than caliber. I mean the Swift is technically a .22 as well but i cannot see anyone having a .22lr, and a spare barrel in .220 swift.

Like wise with a .308. It would not be a blanket permit for all .30cals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Croppy Boy wrote: »
    How would it work if you had a .22 lr and bought a .22 magnum barrel? These are basically the same calibre, at least on the licence they're both referred to as .22 inches.

Still illegal to hold the 22 mag barrel. Look at a shotgun licence..doesn't even state what gauge your shotgun is in but that doesn't mean you can have a 20 gauge barrel if you have a 12 g licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I don't know about the barrels but what cass is saying makes sense alright.

I'd say its more up to your FO and how he feels. I'd hazard a fair guess that if you tryed to substitute a 22lr with mag , swift or hornet you would be refused and told to apply for a new license.

If its a case your buying a 22 mag barrel and you have a 22 lf your RFD is well within his rights looking for the serial number on your license if he ultimately knows you haven't a license for a mag.

• Advertisement

I'd say its more up to your FO and how he feels..
    He must follow the law, and once you know where you stand you can argue your position.
    • So having multiple barrels of the same caliber you are licensed for is fine. Serial numbers, etc are not compulsory.
    • Having a multiple barrels for the rifle you are licensed for, but of a different calibers, requires a new license for each caliber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

So if you have a dual calibre air rifle with 2 barrels .177 and .22 you would need 2 licenses?Or could u explain the .177 is for target and the .22 for hunting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you would need two licences for the two different calibres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Cass wrote: »
    He must follow the law, and once you know where you stand you can argue your position.
    • So having multiple barrels of the same caliber you are licensed for is fine. Serial numbers, etc are not compulsory.
    • Having a multiple barrels for the rifle you are licensed for, but of a different calibers, requires a new license for each caliber.

Hey your right. I know exactly what your saying.

When its in the caliber of 22 thats what I mean up to your FO. As if he looks at them all as just being 22's.

I do know when I tryed to substitute my 22lr for a hornet and then for a mag he had no interest at all and said even doe they were 22's there were actually a different calibre and I need a new license.

1shot16 wrote: »
    So if you have a dual calibre air rifle with 2 barrels .177 and .22 you would need 2 licenses?
    Yes.
    Or could u explain the .177 is for target and the .22 for hunting?
    The reasons are "irrelevant". Different calibers mean separate licenses.

Advertisement