Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Council spending.

Options
  • 01-04-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

I'd like to know how Cork City Council prioritise their spending.
    These cycle parks have been constructed at various places around the city, while within a few mts large and dangerous potholes remain unrepaired. I pass them on a daily basis, but have only seen one bike parked on one occassion.
    I drive and cycle, so I can see both sides, but I think think CCC need to get their priorities sorted out, and spend the taxpayers money where it's most needed.
    I'm sure there's many more examples of this type silly carry on that occurs in our city and elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Those bike stands along with a lot of the other small jobs going on around the city (cycle lanes, upgrades to bus stops etc) are funded by the National Transport Authority and not the city council.

See the 2012 funding in the PDF on this page: http://www.corkcity.ie/news/publicnotices2012/mainbody,53754,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I feel a bit sorry for the council (for once) with this. There has been a lot of criticism of them especially in relation to these cycle lanes and parking spots when it's actually a nationally funded project, while local roads have suffered to council budget cuts imposed by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I don't care where the money comes from, the country is on it's knees.
    These projects are an extravagance that we can't afford.
    I can understand the need for cycle lanes, but I pass a least 5 of the bike parks every day, sometimes more, and I've only seen one bike use one on one occassion. That's hardly fulfilling a need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

it has nothing to do with the council though.

why not write to the NTA about the non use of bike parking?

it could be a case of building for future demand as well of course or keeping up to EU standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

aujopimur wrote: »
    I don't care where the money comes from, the country is on it's knees.
    These projects are an extravagance that we can't afford.
    I can understand the need for cycle lanes, but I pass a least 5 of the bike parks every day, sometimes more, and I've only seen one bike use one on one occassion. That's hardly fulfilling a need.

You might see a lot more in a few months time.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/city-bikes-scheme-to-be-wheeled-out-in-four-new-towns-29167796.html

I agree about the City Council being inept.I dont know is there anyone in charge there or do they even know themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Given Patrick Street and the city in general is supposed to be Pedestrianised soon (as they've been saying for ages) They probably expect an upsurge in Bike usage, they'll be needed then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Given Patrick Street and the city in general is supposed to be Pedestrianised soon (as they've been saying for ages) They probably expect an upsurge in Bike usage, they'll be needed then.

i don't know the problem with Cork (and the city in particular) is its all hills...

i'd cycle a lot more if it meant not cycling back up some of those hills on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Don't understand why they put these cycle things up.Seems like the whole traffic lights thing, where they had brought a crap load of them and needed to use up the excess/ They put them down by the Altanic pond one kinda at either end but I don't see what point they serve.. I know it isn't the council who are doing this but it just isn't this time..What about that lovverly skehard road layout how much did they pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The Skehard Road thing isn't actually that bad in fairness, now that the work is complete. My uncle lives there and says that he has rarely had to stop at the lights. Any time he had he has been through quickly.

TheChizler wrote: »
    The Skehard Road thing isn't actually that bad in fairness, now that the work is complete. My uncle lives there and says that he has rarely had to stop at the lights. Any time he had he has been through quickly.

and every night i drop my friend home there im left sitting at a red light with no traffic whatsoever around where before id have been around the roundabout and long gone!

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness there was no need to do that to the skehard road, Could have spent some money on trees or something to pretty it up but what they done is daft.. Even the cycle layout coming from the blackrock direction is mad, just waiting for some cyclist to get into a nasty accident there..

I spotted on the Tuesday echo the plans for Douglas too, fecking mad some are ok but guess what they are replacing all the roundiebouts with traffic lights Surprise

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ah in fairness there was no need to do that to the skehard road, Could have spent some money on trees or something to pretty it up but what they done is daft.. Even the cycle layout coming from the blackrock direction is mad, just waiting for some cyclist to get into a nasty accident there..

I spotted on the Tuesday echo the plans for Douglas too, fecking mad some are ok but guess what they are replacing all the roundiebouts with traffic lights Surprise

do they not realise junctions in Douglas which have been replaced by lights have caused jams and bottle necks? and the ones with lights turned off work just fine! :mad:

Not at all sure they don't think. Look at the lights they put up is it Carrs hill how daft was that one.. Im trying to remember what else was mentioned now.

Put cycle lanes in and make Douglas more pedestrian friendly. With the cycle lanes I have seen so far think this would probably endanger cyclist more...

Make the roads a 30km speed limit - which is good but mmm you cant even drive that fast at the moment through there so that's already there.

They plan to loose the connection from the side of Tesco that connects to the south link - cant say I would agree with this seems like it will cause more traffic delays.

They said something about a direct link to the south link, it must be from the mayborough side - which would be handy alright but I can imgine they'll feck that up somehow.

Advertisement