Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth buying a PS3 - now -?

Options
  • 01-04-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Originally I owned a PSX years back. Then in October 2008 I bought an Xbox 360. It done me well, served its time. Though I got a red ring of death every so often.

But I don't have that anymore. I'd like to play a few flying games and the new GTA that's coming out. Should I just wait for a PS4?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

There's quite a few good games out for PS3 and more coming and seeing as PS4 won't be compatible with playstation 3 games then why not as they should be getting lower in price as the PS4 release draws near.

I'm planning on getting another PS3 for myself in a few months and I'll wait over a year or so for the PS4 to build some up decent library of games. These are good times to buy PS3's and 360's as the games for them are also lowering in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vronki

Sciprio wrote: »
    There's quite a few good games out for PS3 and more coming and seeing as PS4 won't be compatible with playstation 3 games then why not as they should be getting lower in price as the PS4 release draws near.

I'm planning on getting another PS3 for myself in a few months and I'll wait over a year or so for the PS4 to build some up decent library of games. These are good times to buy PS3's and 360's as the games for them are also lowering in price.

Alright thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

vronki wrote: »
    Originally I owned a PSX years back. Then in October 2008 I bought an Xbox 360. It done me well, served its time. Though I got a red ring of death every so often.

But I don't have that anymore. I'd like to play a few flying games and the new GTA that's coming out. Should I just wait for a PS4?

I wouldnt wait for socialstation4, the ps3 has the best back catalog this generation so there's a lot of great games to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Agreed - there are some great deals out there - it was 250 from Gamestop a few weeks ago for a 500G superslim - absolute steal in my mind. Tried to convince my brothers to get it for the blu-ray and 3-d alone but neither were biting

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

vronki wrote: »

Check out www.shopto.net for greatly reduced prices on games,consoles and ps3 gadgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

yes, psplus makes it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just picked up a PS3 myself over the last few weeks, and it's already seemed more than worth my while. Tons of games to plough through, and a few exclusives that I didn't have access to while playing 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Where are the best deals for buying a superslim 500GB?

s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Where are the best deals for buying a superslim 500GB?

s

So far in online for gamestop its €250 for a PS3 500GB Slim with assassin's creed 3. I'm not sure if links are left in here but here it is. and the mods can delete if it's not. It's the best deal in Ireland i can see so far.

http://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%203/Games/43945/ps3-500gb-assassins-creed-iii-bundle?previousUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamestop.ie%2FSearchResult%2FQuickSearchHeaderPlatform%3Fplatform%3D2%26rootGenre%3D27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I would wait and try to get a PS4. After it comes out I expect the PS3 to drop in price and maybe pick one up to play the old games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

buy a 2nd hand one on adverts.ie then sell it when ps4 comes out..its like youll be renting a ps3 for about 40-60 euro for half a year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

look on Amazon for some good deals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Amazon has pretty good deals at the moment. 500 gb console + Uncharted 3 + Gran Turismo 5 for £200 (~€236).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Get yourself a PS3, & a subscription to PS+. The question then becomes, "It it worth buying a PS4" ;)

Truth is the PS4, like all launch consoles these days, probably won't be worth bothering with for about a year until it finds its feet. There's plenty of life in the PS3 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

EnterNow wrote: »
    Truth is the PS4, like all launch consoles these days ever, probably won't be worth bothering with for about a year until it finds its feet. There's plenty of life in the PS3 yet

Fixed your post :)

I think now is a pretty solid time to get one, at best they will get 50-100 euro cheaper as the next gen takes over, I think though you might actually loose out if you wait, provided sony don't do something crazy like make the back catalog free.

You'll get 2-3 solid free games a month out of PS+, conservatively you could probably get 30 euros worth of games a month, so wouldn't be long in saving you the money.

Also there is decent stock in the few B&M Stores left, its easy enough to get some of the early classics for half nothing. They will start to disappear once the new consoles start eating up shop space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Argos have the 12GB Super Slim priced at 178euro which is a bargain.. Mind you 12GB is not much so maybe purchasing and upgrading the Hard Drive would be a good option... 120GB would be enough I would say which should be cheap enough these days... 12GB might do you for a while depending on what games you are playing...

205euro with Crysis 3 or Fifa 13

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Been an xbox man all my life I've now got a notion in my head to buy a ps3.

Mainly to play the old gta games that have been re released on it and for the exclusives I wouldn't have had with xbox.

Is it worth it?

Also is there really a need for the 500gb I seen a 120gb one for 130 on amazon would that suffice?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

120 would be fine. Unless you get PS+ which you should because it's unbelievable value. If you get that the personally I'd get the 500. I've got a 320gb PS3 and had to delete loads because Somy keep giving me so many 'free' games every few weeks. The swines.

Advertisement