Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone join the priesthood anymore?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Religion, to me is still like the X-Files in that I want to believe?

But if your intention is to spread good will instead of bad willy then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

There was a lad I used to work with to joined the priesthood two years ago. He was in his early twenties and was pure camp. I felt so sorry for him.

He stopped drinking so he would be 'tempted' while drunk. Also we worked in a supermarket and he was on checkouts where he refused to sell condoms to a couple onetine. He got alot of shtick from management over that...:pac:
    I'm a Christian. The souls of atheists are in mortal danger. It's my duty to inform them of this danger. Now Christianity has other priorities aside from trying to reach out to those who think they know better (such as helping the poor), but evangelising to non-believers is still important. The Good News is a message that everyone should hear, regardless of race, colour, country or creed.

That you would prefer not to hear the message Christ is irrelevant.

As a Christian your soul is in danger. Western/Eastern religions are deficient as they do not practice the proper Khalsa (code of conduct) and as a christian you fail to practice Naam Simran daily and engage in Seva in the correct manner.

Only by practicing the correct meditation can one truly find your internal rhythm and experience the true name of God (Ek Onkar).

Of course many cultures have their own religions and believe their religion is the 'right one'.

I'm not anti-Christian, just as I am not anti-Sikhism or Buddhism... I just don't believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'd just like to remind contributors that vocations are up worldwide.

I understand it's difficult for ye to imagine what might go on outside this crappy little isle that has exported sex monsters throughout the world.

I started this thread simple to find out if anyone knew any young priests in this country, I will not dispute whether or not vocations are up because I don't care.

Is the sex abuse Ireland's problem then seeing as we were the ones exporting sex monsters? What about the documented sex abuse cases in Kenya, Tanzania, Phillipines, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Norway. Poland, Slovenia, Sweden, GB, Canada, Mexico, the U.S. austrailia, New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru perpatrated by priests of all nationalities.

This is a Church problem, and to state anything else is an insult to the victims of the horrific abuse that was swept under the rug for far too long. As a lay person the churches response to these victims is an utter disgrace and it honestly makes me sick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Only by practicing the correct meditation can one truly find your internal rhythm and experience the true name of God (Ek Onkar).

I've been to there before. Just outside Clonsilla. God left that place a long time ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Seriously was just asking a question, has anyone heard of anyone young joining the priesthood in recent years, cause it seems like all the ones I have known are like eternally 83 years old.

its more socially acceptable nowadays to go on a sex holiday to Thailand than to join the priesthood. Who else remembers going to confession and asking what do ye get for a blowjob, and the answer being 2 mars bars and a packet of tayto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ah cmon ted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

GarIT wrote: »
    With the level of racism in Ireland, especially in the west
    WTF is this bullsh1t???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I met a Female priest in her 30s.
    Obviously not Catholic, I think CoE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The OP obviously doesn't live or has even been to Rural Ireland. Boggers still love the church - go to any church in any bog-****hole on a Sunday and it'll be full to the rafters with little bog-monkey families. Going into the priesthood is still the occupation of preference for boggers, as priests are still adored and treated as gods amongst the bogger population.

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Orizio wrote: »
    The OP obviously doesn't live or has even been to Rural Ireland. Boggers still love the church - go to any church in any bog-****hole on a Sunday and it'll be full to the rafters with little bog-monkey families. Going into the priesthood is still the occupation of preference for boggers, as priests are still adored and treated as gods amongst the bogger population.

This should be in the 'Unpopular Opinions' thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

There is a pretty lazy assumption that no young priests are being ordained in Ireland, nobody is in training to be a priest and that there are no young priests. These are all incorrect.

The most lazy, inward-looking assumption is the silly notion that the church is somehow "dying out".

There have never been a time in the history of the Catholic Church where there have been more believers and more priests to minister to these believers - in more countries than ever before.

People (hopeless believers or optimistic church-haters) who only look at the perculiar Irish situation are fooling themselves. Undoubtedly the numbers of young priests are way down - but we in Ireland have been over-supplied with priests for at least a century! The sizes of Irish dioceses and parishes by international standards are ludicrously small!

To address the OP's genuine query:

Check out this blog (news on new priests and brothers in the Dominican Order): http://irishdominicanvocations.blogspot.ie/

One notable year for them was 2009 when 13 new novices were received http://irishdominicanvocations.blogspot.ie/2009/09/reception-of-novices-saint-marys-priory.html

Ordinations, though much rarer than they were in the past still happen year-in-year out.

Even as we speak - TODAY - 4 new deacons (they'll be ordained priest in under a year, all going well)
    http://www.catholicbishops.ie/2013/04/02/deacons-ordained-pontifical-irish-college-rome/

In short - priests are getting older and ordinations are fewer in Ireland but they still happen quite regularly. Internationally, there have never been so many priests!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

whats wrong with ordaining women will get more young lads at confession

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm a Christian. The souls of atheists are in mortal danger. It's my duty to inform them of this danger. Now Christianity has other priorities aside from trying to reach out to those who think they know better (such as helping the poor), but evangelising to non-believers is still important. The Good News is a message that everyone should hear, regardless of race, colour, country or creed.

That you would prefer not to hear the message Christ is irrelevant.
    My immortal soul is only in mortal danger? Phew!

What I want to know is, when the priest goes on about jesus dying on the friday, and rising 3 days later on easter sunday...that is two days later, what is the extra day I've been missing out on all these years, and on the fecking weekend and all :pac:

There is a pretty lazy assumption that no young priests are being ordained in Ireland, nobody is in training to be a priest and that there are no young priests. These are all incorrect.

The most lazy, inward-looking assumption is the silly notion that the church is somehow "dying out".

There have never been a time in the history of the Catholic Church where there have been more believers and more priests to minister to these believers - in more countries than ever before.

People (hopeless believers or optimistic church-haters) who only look at the perculiar Irish situation are fooling themselves. Undoubtedly the numbers of young priests are way down - but we in Ireland have been over-supplied with priests for at least a century! The sizes of Irish dioceses and parishes by international standards are ludicrously small!

To address the OP's genuine query:

Check out this blog (news on new priests and brothers in the Dominican Order): http://irishdominicanvocations.blogspot.ie/

One notable year for them was 2009 when 13 new novices were received http://irishdominicanvocations.blogspot.ie/2009/09/reception-of-novices-saint-marys-priory.html

Ordinations, though much rarer than they were in the past still happen year-in-year out.

Even as we speak - TODAY - 4 new deacons (they'll be ordained priest in under a year, all going well)
    http://www.catholicbishops.ie/2013/04/02/deacons-ordained-pontifical-irish-college-rome/

In short - priests are getting older and ordinations are fewer in Ireland but they still happen quite regularly. Internationally, there have never been so many priests!
    People say it is dying out in Ireland, because it is. Nobody claims it doesn't garner huge amounts of new followers in poor countries that can be taken advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm a Christian who was raised Catholic but I honestly don't know if I can call myself a Catholic. I'm a Christian who prays and believes absolutely in God, Jesus, the entire Christianity story - but I simply don't believe the institution which was supposed to represent it, is actually representing it.

No one can speak for God. but you know that story of Jesus destroying the marketplace in the temple after seeing the money changers pulling dirty tricks on their customers, saying that they were perverting what the temple is supposed to represent? I honestly believe that if the second coming happened tomorrow and he saw what had become of his church, he'd be doing that to the Vatican itself.

The teachings of today's church and the behavior of its leaders is so far removed from the actual word of Jesus Christ as described in the very Gospels they read at mass every Sunday that it's literally impossible to reconcile the two. The church prioritizes small disagreements and turns them into massive, all consuming issues, while ignoring the central message that Jesus brought us, of humility, compassion, respect, peace, and love for our fellow human beings.
    Just to take one example, Jesus said very little on the subject of sex, and he certainly never suggested that anyone who used a condom had committed a mortal sin. He DID, however, suggest that anyone who even attempts to corrupt a child would be better off jumping into the sea with a rock to weigh them down.

Which of the above issues has the Church enforced their rules on, and which of them has it quietly swept under the carpet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

God is all forgiving and i'm a Jedi Knight so its 'win win' for me lads.

People say it is dying out in Ireland, because it is. Nobody claims it doesn't garner huge amounts of new followers in poor countries that can be taken advantage of.

No - some people, in my experience, are of the opinion that the whole church is crumbling and will be gone within their lifetime. Those people should ponder the 1950 year history of the church and think again.

There is also a school of thought that believers in developing countries aren't the same as believers in developed countires. Or (as you've alluded to) that they are someone too powerless and voiceless to make a difference or make up their own minds. That what matters is winning the numbers game amongst the economically rich nations. People are people.

There is also a school of thought that believers in developing countries aren't the same as believers in developed countires. Or (as you've alluded to) that they are someone too powerless and voiceless to make a difference or make up their own minds. That what matters is winning the numbers game amongst the economically rich nations. People are people.

No, I think the point is that in developing countries where people have fewer choices and are more vulnerable to an insecure life, that the choice of priesthood is a more attractive proposition.

Even more so when you consider how conservative some developing countries are, and how personal freedoms are limited in comparison to the first world. In other words, there's more to gain and less to lose.

People are people as you say, but all people do not have equal choices in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It will always have some following here, albeit a shadow of what it was in its prime.
    People after a decade or two of not going to mass start going again after they have kids. They'll get their ankle biters baptised, go thru the motions of going to mass again and do the whole communion/confirmation thing because of the 'oh what will the neighbours think?' mindset.

They're fast running out of new priests over here, unless they soften up the rules, recruit retired people that are after having families already or import them or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Orizio wrote: »
    What would these be in your screwed up up little mind???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What I want to know is, when the priest goes on about jesus dying on the friday, and rising 3 days later on easter sunday...that is two days later, what is the extra day I've been missing out on all these years, and on the fecking weekend and all :pac:

Jeez, it's embarrassing to point this out, but "...on the third day he rose from the dead...", NOT 3 days later.

Day 1: Friday
    Day 2: Saturday
    Day 3: Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Do you have proof that God doesn't exist? (no, you don't)

Would staring into the heavens via a telescope convince you?

How do you explain that you were born in the first place? Does atheism have the answers to the these questions? Because, for all I can see, if Christianity never existed, atheism wouldn't exist. It's as if atheism is an off-shoot of Christianity in a very perverted way! The obsession about what Christians believe in is unreal.

Well when a man loves a woman...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Jeez, it's embarrassing to point this out, but "...on the third day he rose from the dead...", NOT 3 days later.

I'm embarrassed for you too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

krudler wrote: »
    Well when a man loves a woman...
    .... and they're married.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pherekydes wrote: »

Actually the friday/sunday thing is man made and what was actually said was by Jesus himself was:
    Matt 12:39- 40, ... as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Man has come up with the tradition of Jesus dying on Good Friday and rising early Sunday morning. It was probably the wed/thursday as that week had two sabbaths.

And I wasn't even talking about that., I was talking about the priests that say Sunday is 3 days after Friday in their sermon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Ha! http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/number-of-priests-growing-worldwide-vatican-reports/

From the horse's mouth (i.e. the Vatican). Next you'll be telling me that they're making up the figures.

"410,593 priests in the world in 2009 compared to 405,009 in 1999. The number of diocesan priests among these increased by over 10,000 while the number of those belonging to religious orders fell by nearly 5,000."
    You have a few misconceptions there. Firstly the total world population for the same time period increased from 6 billion to 6.8 billion, a 13% increase, compared to the 1% increase you've cited. But the more important fact is that those figures don't show is the average age of priests. To give an example take Japan, which has had a pretty stable population of ~140 million for the last few decades (a 1% increase over the same time period). However the average age of the population has also dramatically increased, they are on the peak of a precipice and by 2100 it is estimated their (native) population will be less than 50 million people. The priesthood is in a similar situation, their population is aging and as such they are going to experience a large population decline until it stabilizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

the RCC will be dead in 100 years or so.... all the exisiting priests will die off and not enough new priests are being ordained to replace the numbers dying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Siuin wrote: »
    If the good news is that some dude ended up nailed to a cross because other people were assholes, Id hate to hear the bad news.

Rhetoric like yours makes me thankful that Jews dont shove their beliefs down the throats of those of other faiths and none.

No they build houses on Arab land instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I'm a cat worshipper. When the great cat God Felix rises from the land of Gieshi he will judge us all by the length of our toenails and make us eat the sacred fish. Oh ye non-believers, ye will toil in the land of Fornochii and eat rotten fish until the great army of dogs come to great you.

I beg to differ.
    tardar+sauce.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

In the future there will be no priests ...just a massive 3-dimensional hologram of the almighty GOD booming out mass every Sunday from the pulpit. Its gonna be amazing!

Repent now sinners!

I'll be in the Jedi Academy dueling with a Sith holograms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

A friend of mine is a priest. He's 39 and joined the priesthood at 18, straight from school.

And Ill bet his name is Richard, because he is the only person I know who joined the priesthood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

It will always have some following here, albeit a shadow of what it was in its prime.
    People after a decade or two of not going to mass start going again after they have kids. They'll get their ankle biters baptised, go thru the motions of going to mass again and do the whole communion/confirmation thing because of the 'oh what will the neighbours think?' mindset.

They're fast running out of new priests over here, unless they soften up the rules, recruit retired people that are after having families already or import them or something.

These kind of people really get on my nerves, the non-believer believers. The ones that start going back to Mass after having children, despite not having gone themselves for years, as they feel they need to do it for their kids. They wouldn’t even go themselves and now they make their kids go too. Hypocrites.

Although maybe it's better to be a hypocrite than an outcast.

No they build houses on Arab land instead.

You're confusing Jews and Israelis. Yes most Israelis are Jewish, but I don't think their religion is making them build houses on Arab land.

This same trick is often used to accuse anyone who criticises Israel of anti-semitism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Fck me..some sh1t posted from both sides of thought in here. Nuff said

Lucena wrote: »

Although maybe it's better to be a hypocrite than an outcast.

Is it?

Takes guts to be an outcast.

Is it?

I agree with you. However I think most people think it's less hassle to conform.

Plenty of people aren't going back these days, Np baptism etc, it's hardly an outcast situation seeing as more and more people do it

Is it?

Jesus had great time for outcasts - prostitutes, tax collectors, the thieves he was crucified with. Less so for hypocrites.

But, going back to the topic of the thread - young priests. It is people who stand up and say, "you know what, I'm going to go off and become a priest" or "I'm joining a convent" that are the real outcasts/non-conformists in out modern Ireland. People (as we see on this thread) are baffled and incredulous that anyone would ever dream of "giving up their lives" like that.

Conforming is doing the 9-5, getting maried and aspiring to buying a house. Non-conformity is taking vows of celibacy, going to a seminary for 7 years, being under the authority of a bishop and preaching to so-so parishioners for the rest of your life.

A lot of people do this because the majority of schools are under RCC patronage, it's easier to get into these schools if your child is baptised and then just go through the motions with communion and confirmation. There are very few non-denominational schools, so parents don't really have a choice.

Plenty of people aren't going back these days, Np baptism etc, it's hardly an outcast situation seeing as more and more people do it

To an extent. However, down the country living in a small town, all the other kids are doing religion in school, preparing for communion and the like, it's very hard to leave your child out.

It's always when the children come along that things become more difficult. Do you stick to your guns or do you give in so that your child isn't seen as "different"?

To an extent. However, down the country living in a small town, all the other kids are doing religion in school, preparing for communion and the like, it's very hard to leave your child out.

It's always when the children come along that things become more difficult. Do you stick to your guns or do you give in so that your child isn't seen as "different"?

I honestly think this argument - i.e. that hypocritical parents come flocking back to the church for the "benefit" of thier children - is overdone (a little!).

Having kids focusses the mind and I think a fair number of parents genuinely desire a religious schooling and the sacraments for their children. This is for a variety of reasons and not just "fitting in".

Though, undoubtedly, a good number are just along for the free ride and have no great committment to actually, actively playing a role in passing on the faith.

In my experience, speaking as a practicing catholic, if you're relying solely on a run of the mill (there are exceptions) catholic national school to pass on the faith to your kids, it ain't gonna happen.

• Advertisement

I honestly think this argument - i.e. that hypocritical parents come flocking back to the church for the "benefit" of thier children - is overdone (a little!).

Having kids focusses the mind and I think a fair number of parents genuinely desire a religious schooling and the sacraments for their children. This is for a variety of reasons and not just "fitting in".

Though, undoubtedly, a good number are just along for the free ride and have no great committment to actually, actively playing a role in passing on the faith.

In my experience, speaking as a practicing catholic, if you're relying solely on a run of the mill (there are exceptions) catholic national school to pass on the faith to your kids, it ain't gonna happen.
    When ever I ask somebody or it is debated in work, the only reason peoples kids are being religious in any way is because the parents want them to get into a school, seeing as they have them ona list since before they were born. Also not to be an outcast. Others simply don't do any of it. There is very little focusing on religion going on, depends on who you know I guess.

Probably harder in the country side. Of the people here who don't have their children being involved apparently it has not been a problem, but I could see it being one. Personally I would rather not keep up the crap, it's a reason things stay as they are. Hard decision all right.

When ever I ask somebody or it is debated in work, the only reason peoples kids are being religious in any way is because the parents want them to get into a school, seeing as they have them ona list since before they were born. Also not to be an outcast. Others simply don't do any of it. There is very little focusing on religion going on, depends on who you know I guess.

The "getting kids into schools" argument is only ever a factor in areas of the country where places in good schools with a religious ethos do not match the demand. In an awful lot of the country there is no such pressure for places - so this issue might arise more commonly in the Dublin metropolitan area. If you live outside the pale, it's less of an issue.

Many people in Ireland are very wary and shy about speaking about anything to do with faith. Many just point to the kids and say it's to get them into school. There is a myth out there that non-catholic children cannot get into catholic schools. Where supply-demand pinch-points exist they are at a disadvantage but this is far from universal.

Point I'm making (on topic-ish) is people return to the practice of their faith for a variety of reasons and sometimes, to avoid the tough question of their own personal belief (or otherwise), they pin it on the kids/school thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its notable that now that the passage of time and a new enlightenment throughout society has taken away the power, prestige, wealth and sure-fire cover story for paedophilia nobody wants to be a Priest - Religious belief and Godly good intentions seems to be besides the point......

Strange that isn't it?
    the RCC will be dead in 100 years or so.... all the exisiting priests will die off and not enough new priests are being ordained to replace the numbers dying off.

Also it would be apt if the compensation claims dissipated all the Churches assets in their entirety - Time to sell up your shameful empty Churches now, kneel before your victims and amend your wrongdoings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The priest that did my granny's funeral was in his thirties. Nice bloke, had clearly done his research and asked around about her as he had plenty of nice stories from the area etc.

He also spent most of the the afters of the removals enjoying a few smokes outside with my step dad and uncles. Seemed like a nice guy, in it for the right reasons. Don't agree with him on most things, but he did a good job of the funeral and that's all that matters to me.

Raiser wrote: »
    Its notable that now that the passage of time and a new enlightenment throughout society has taken away the power, prestige, wealth and sure-fire cover story for paedophilia nobody wants to be a Priest - Religious belief and Godly good intentions seems to be besides the point.......

As pointed out above by me and others. This is just not true. There are more priests in the world than ever.

Here's 4 new Irish Deacons ordained in Rome just yesterday. They'll be priests in under a year:

Also it would be apt if the compensation claims dissipated all the Churches assets in their entirety - Time to sell up your shameful empty Churches now, kneel before your victims and amend your wrongdoings.

Leaving aside the fact that you seem to agree with the comment that you quoted along the lines of "the catholic church will be dead/gone in 100 years" which is a silly fantasy (don't worry, you're in good company, people have been writing off the church for the last 2000 years), your comments don't add up.

I assume by compensation claims you mean those from people who have suffered abuse (sexual, physical) at the hands of priests, etc. The church has (despite common chatter) apologised repeatedly, at every level, to victims of abuse. And they have amended their wrongdoings - the catholic church (especially in Ireland) has a extraordinarily high level of child protection - mainly because of past, disasterous failings.

Its notable that now that the passage of time and a new enlightenment throughout society has taken away the power, prestige, wealth and sure-fire cover story for paedophilia nobody wants to be a Priest - Religious belief and Godly good intentions seems to be besides the point......

Strange that isn't it?

Nah, Bertie capped the amount the church is liable for at around 170 million, the rest is paid by the State.

the catholic church (especially in Ireland) has a extraordinarily high level of child protection - mainly because of past, disasterous failings.

Stable, door, horse...

I assume by compensation claims you mean those from people who have suffered abuse (sexual, physical) at the hands of priests, etc. The church has (despite common chatter) apologised repeatedly, at every level, to victims of abuse. And they have amended their wrongdoings - the catholic church (especially in Ireland) has a extraordinarily high level of child protection - mainly because of past, disasterous failings.
    Apologied when victims of abuse spoke publicly about their ordeals and demanded justice. Not all victims were able to do this, it takes a lot of courage to speak publicly about something that has had such a profound effect on you. Before that the church covered up years of abuse, moved offenders on to new parishes and allowed them to continue abusing. The protection in place now necessary due to the backlash and increased child protection laws.

The hypocrisy of this is alarming - an institution that preaches about morals, christian standards, denounces divorce, premarital sex, contraception and homosexually found it acceptable to support and allow paedophilia and physical abuse.

As for compensation, see the post directly below your own.

Stable, door, horse...

Yes. Absolutely. But would you prefer if nothing was done?

• Advertisement

Yes. Absolutely. But would you prefer if nothing was done?
    Do you not think it should have been done as soon as they became aware of the abuse, instead of covering it up and allowing it to continue?

Advertisement