Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you had the opportunity to climb Mount Everest, would you do it?

• 01-04-2013 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

If you were offered a fully paid place in a team of climbers, all you had to do was work on your fitness.

Would you accept the offer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Of course,
    but the cold, hard, insurmountable reality of life, family, bills, job and sh*t get in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

No chance, i hate climbing the stairs in my house never mind Mount Everest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yep...I desperately want to boss a Sherpa around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Without a doubt, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

I'd love to, but am hopeless with heights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yessie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No, way too much effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    If you were offered a fully paid place in a team of climbers, all you had to do was work on your fitness.

Yes Tom and I would volunteer as the head of this expedition as I feel the need, the need to lead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

i dont know, would be a huge decision, youd want to live eat and sleep mountain climbing in the first place. lots of dead bodies up by the summit. so even being part of the physical elite doesnt guarantee you survival. i like overcoming obstacles in life but everest wont ever be one for me, although i have great admiration and respect for those that have climbed and perished up there. im just a regular joe after all.so no i wouldnt, not for me. i do like the odd hillwalk around kerry every so often tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's all about how you adapt to the altitude as well, some people don't make it passed advanced base camp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

I've handled the last 6 months of weather in Ireland.

Bring it on.

Unless there's electric blankets and hot chocolate involved, its not happening for me.

I'm too fond of my comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I would love to do this, one of the most physical things you could ever do in your life. imagine how great it would feel the moment you reached the top

I would love to do this, one of the most physical things you could ever do in your life. imagine how great it would feel the moment you reached the top

Yes, but you're already Frozenfrozen. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Sure it'll be grand, I'd do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wouldn't mind the climbing, it's the using ladders as a bridge over a crevasse that would make me shít myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

A huge proportion of people who attempt this die. Experienced climbers die. Ridiculous to think you could make it. I'll pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

No way for me, I hate heights, the cold and the effort would kill me. But my hat is off to anyone who would climb Everest. I'm a more G and T girl with a lovely, hot fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Just bring your sled for the way back down....twill be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't be pushed on it even if I knew I could climb it. Not sure how I'd feel about clambering over dead bodies or ignoring people who are in trouble / dieing just so I reached the summit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

How sexy are these Sherpas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

It takes around two years of training to attempt that climb, but you're not guaranteed to make it all the way. It would be amazing, and to say you were one of an elite group of people who managed it would be pretty humbling tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What's the pint situation at the top, decent pint or not really worth the climb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Climb Mount Everest?

Couldn't do it.

I'm scared of sherpas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Nope. I am keen on my comforts. It's kinda awful, but I really wouldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

entropi wrote: »
    It takes around two years of training to attempt that climb, but you're not guaranteed to make it all the way. It would be amazing, and to say you were one of an elite group of people who managed it would be pretty humbling tbh.

Surely that would be the opposite of humbling?

And it's not really as elite a group as many believe. There are literally queues of hundreds of people going up the mountain at times.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-plZFNjqAdYw/T8GyWfbU4jI/AAAAAAAAAn4/uAaZW6jzmCw/s1600/Everest%2Btraffic%2Bjam%2B2012%2B05%2B25.jpg

http://squashfalconer.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/everest-traffic-jam.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Yes

It's kinda awful.

It's not awful, its sensible. :)

Besides, I like wearing sandals and they look awful if you have no toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

http://www.wisegeek.org/how-many-people-have-climbed-mount-everest.htm
    just said id throw this in
    no doubt youd want a lot in the pocket aswell as its quite expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Candie wrote: »
    Besides, I like wearing sandals and they look awful if you have no toes.

True :)

I also wouldn't like walking past all the dead bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Change Mount Everast to Mount Fuji and I'll be there with wasabi peanuts. In all seriousness, climbing a proper mountain is something I would like to do but I'd have to really crack the whip on my own physical state of fitness before I could even attempt it.
    Last time I climbed anything I was half-way up the Stations of the Cross in Lourdes (don't ask.) and half dead from a lack of oxygen.

True :)

I also wouldn't like walking past all the dead bodies.

Well yeah, there is that too.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Smiles, just teasing.....If you reached the top is the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Surely that would be the opposite of humbling?

And it's not really as elite a group as many believe. There are literally queues of hundreds of people going up the mountain at times.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-plZFNjqAdYw/T8GyWfbU4jI/AAAAAAAAAn4/uAaZW6jzmCw/s1600/Everest%2Btraffic%2Bjam%2B2012%2B05%2B25.jpg

http://squashfalconer.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/everest-traffic-jam.jpg
    Ahh, you mean this :) That appeared to be just one day, with a stupid amount of traffic!! It might have been a short summit season, heavy snowfalls delaying it somewhat. Still a stupid idea to go in a massive chain like that.

It would still be humbling, considering you had managed to make it to the highest point on the planet, and (hopefully) back down in one piece.

Oh if you were to do it, don't feel bad about clambering over perished bodies, or refusing to help someone out. You would probably be too tired to help them anyway. Looking out for number one is priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Nah. There's too much in life I haven't done to put it all at risk on one folly. There's plenty of adventure out there that I'm almost guaranteed to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Dead right, I have done a few desert events and would love to have a go at a different environment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Must get myself into shape first and chance Carrantuohill before I go to Everest.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Not a chance. I'd definitely die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

M5 wrote: »
    A huge proportion of people who attempt this die. Experienced climbers die. Ridiculous to think you could make it. I'll pass

A huge proportion do not die!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Hell yeah!!!!!!!In a heart beat!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I'd love to do part of it. My nephew did a two week trek to the base camp - that I'd like to do.

I'd like to get to the first camp but that would be it. Doing things that might involve my impending death is not my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

A huge proportion do not die!

One in ten is a huge proportion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Nah I'm too lazy plus I'd be one of the 10% that'd die anyways ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

HELL YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No. It doesn't interest me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Don't think it would be for me to be honest. Plenty of training and risk involved. Not to mention money, it can cost a bomb to climb Everest once you factor in equipment, visa costs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Definitely. No idea if I could do it but I'd give it my best. Pretty certain it would kill me though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No way

death rate is way too high

even if the climbers are left for dead because it's self inflicted

Sherpas are people too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

To me it has been done. How about being the first human to climb Olympus Mons on mars? :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement