Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linked In for job hunting in canada...

Options
  • 01-04-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Anyone had any success finding work through linked in be it here in ireland or when you arrives in canada? I hear its big over there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

yes, I got my job indirectly through linkedin.

Joined linkedin when i got here, a fellow uni alumni in work placement found me trhough mutual groups. saw i was new to london and looking for work, and contacted me to come in for an interview. put me in touch with someone who put me in touch with a manager who eventually hired me.

its great for networking and finding out about jobs that may not be advertised yet

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone had any success finding work through linked in be it here in ireland or when you arrives in canada? I hear its big over there.

Yes!! just had my third and final interview with one organisation await news :D

Another Two interviews set up this week for other positions all through Linked In

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

wow well done. are you doing this in canada or from ennis:D
    what area are you in if you dont mind me asking.

zweton wrote: »
    wow well done. are you doing this in canada or from ennis:D
    what area are you in if you dont mind me asking.

Not at all! Yes I'm doing all this from Ireland and if successful Calgary other options are Edmonton

anything biting in toronto? Actually did you sign up and pay or are you just using the free version of linked in?
    also, how are you planing to interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Hi all! Newbie here .... More or less..... I am an electrician here in Ireland at the minute, was mainly industrial and machinery work but now work for myself in all aspects of electrical work from property maintenance to new installs to machine fault finding and repair...anyway I am wondering how people here have got job offers from here and how to even start to find them..... I think the LMO route would be a nice option for me but to be honest I just want/need to go ASAP as this recession has broke me.... I am 31 with a wife (civil servant) and an 18 month old little boy. I am willing to go on my own first or permanent if I have to, we just can't sustain this anymore. I don't know what to believe about my trade in Canada and the huge unbelievable wages I am told about but we really need to get the ball rolling on this as I missed out on the IEC this year,..... Anyway sorry about that rant but , where do ya get these job offers from and what's the best and quickest way for me to get out there and start earning some money to pay my debts.... Would I be able to earn enough to support my wife to be a stay at home mammy???? Most important thing.... Thanks for any info or contact info or ....... Job offers ..... Haha haha

gccrowley1 wrote: »
    Hi all! Newbie here .... More or less..... I am an electrician here in Ireland at the minute, was mainly industrial and machinery work but now work for myself in all aspects of electrical work from property maintenance to new installs to machine fault finding and repair...anyway I am wondering how people here have got job offers from here and how to even start to find them..... I think the LMO route would be a nice option for me but to be honest I just want/need to go ASAP as this recession has broke me.... I am 31 with a wife (civil servant) and an 18 month old little boy. I am willing to go on my own first or permanent if I have to, we just can't sustain this anymore. I don't know what to believe about my trade in Canada and the huge unbelievable wages I am told about but we really need to get the ball rolling on this as I missed out on the IEC this year,..... Anyway sorry about that rant but , where do ya get these job offers from and what's the best and quickest way for me to get out there and start earning some money to pay my debts.... Would I be able to earn enough to support my wife to be a stay at home mammy???? Most important thing.... Thanks for any info or contact info or ....... Job offers ..... Haha haha

Its likely you could secure apply for a skilled workers permit your background http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-how.asp

Working expo are brilliant and many persons with your skill set are being offered jobs & help to relocate even at the expo's! they are also advertising jobs online http://www.workingabroad.net/

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Diamond-Global-Ireland-Jobs-in-4494595?trk=myg_ugrp_ovr

www.fas.ie have loads of jobs advertised for positions in Canada

Get linked In fantastic resource!

Get started get your police certificate, cv and copy of qualifications

Thanks for that unbelievably fast reply cuana.......I'l check them now, hopefully I can get something sorted very soon, trying at the moment to redo my CV to a canadian style résumé, ....

Thanks for that unbelievably fast reply cuana.......I'l check them now, hopefully I can get something sorted very soon, trying at the moment to redo my CV to a canadian style résumé, ....

Get the basic stuff right cv, cover letters etc but also try stay calm don't rush things!

oh yes cover letters are also important!!

I don't suppose you have a template layout for good style CV(résumé) and cover letter, I think I am going into too much dept with mine but I don't want them to be long and drawn out letters but to the point but also with enough info on them....

Thanks again for any info you can give me and best of luck too you.....

• Advertisement

I don't suppose you have a template layout for good style CV(résumé) and cover letter, I think I am going into too much dept with mine but I don't want them to be long and drawn out letters but to the point but also with enough info on them....

Thanks again for any info you can give me and best of luck too you.....

I'll send you a PM

Cheers mate , really appreciate it........

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

I hear Ontario Hydro has a shortage of electricians

cuana wrote: »
    I'll send you a PM

cuana, any chance of seeing that template:)

jgh_ wrote: »
    I hear Ontario Hydro has a shortage of electricians

Cheers for that, I will have a look at that......

I checked that out and dont see anything, sure I'll keep an eye on it ,,, Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i had a look about on linkedin for an Irish in Canada group, the only i found that had more than a handful of people in it was this...feel free to add yourselves and connect.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2239778

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

there is a good cv template on youtube for construction workers in bc

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

whats the link for it pat?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

cuana wrote: »
    I'll send you a PM

hi, is their any chance you could also send the template to me? thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement