Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking World Ireland

Options
  • 01-04-2013 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have a subscription to Walking World Ireland magazine? If so, appreciate if you can advise when the last issue was - I think I saw one at Christmas, thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I've been waiting for the next issue since March - it's now a month overdue I think. I wonder has it gone under? Nothing on their website - according to which the August 2012 issue is now on sale.

It's always late into Easons but the various walking/hiking shops usually have it in first but no sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I've tried to contact them a few times over the past couple of weeks but getting nothing back.. 24 euro for the years subscription.

If I don't hear back from them by tomorrow I'm assuming the worst.Just hope that paypal will give me my 24 euro back.

Looks like they're no longer a company

ATHLETIC PROMOTIONS LIMITED

Key Company Details for ATHLETIC PROMOTIONS LTD

Registered Company Number173800 Company TypePRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARESCurrent Company StatusDISSOLVED (25/05/2012)
    Principal Activity[22.XX] PUBLISHING, PRINTING AND REPRODUCTION OF RECORDED MEDIAPartial Registered AddressCO OFFALYLogin to see full address

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

niallers1 wrote: »
    Looks like they're no longer a company

ATHLETIC PROMOTIONS LIMITED

Key Company Details for ATHLETIC PROMOTIONS LTD

Registered Company Number173800 Company TypePRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARESCurrent Company StatusDISSOLVED (25/05/2012)
    Principal Activity[22.XX] PUBLISHING, PRINTING AND REPRODUCTION OF RECORDED MEDIAPartial Registered AddressCO OFFALYLogin to see full address

That's a pity, was always nice to see some walks, routes etc. from around the country.

Probably understandable given the limited audience and the work involved in putting material together etc.

Their website is still accepting payment though.. This should be shut down if they're no longer selling magazines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There were issues of the magazine after the date on which the company was dissolved though, including the 2013 "annual" which would have been published in December. Maybe it's being published by someone else in the mean time?

The 2013 annual was the last copy I bought - the next edition should have been in March. I'm surprised its gone missing - the irish Runner is still selling and I had always assumed the two magazines where run by the same company (although I could be wrong).

Perhaps the Irish mountain log (which now advertises itself as being for climbers and hillwalkers) and Outdoor magazine have eaten into what must be a very small/niche market in a small country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CJ1964

I contacted WWI, after seeing the messages posted here, and have just had a reply today about the next issue and there was a problem which they hope is finally finished and that it will go to the printers in the next day or so. Here's hoping as I have been reading it since issue 2.

That doesn't explain why they didn't contact their customers to let them know. Terrible customer service. I have still not had contact and they still have 24 euro belonging to me.

I will never go for a subscription again with this or any magazine linked to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Got new edition today they are changing it to a quarterly magazine now, not sure how that works for people with subs.

• Advertisement

A quarterly issue is probably the way to go. I finally managed to get the latest edition (as usual Eason’s are hopeless). I was a bit disappointed to see the leinster route this month is Raven’s point in Wexford – the same magazine covered the very same route only a few years ago. I’ve been buying the magazine for a good few years now and I’m starting to see the same sort of repetition cropping up now and again. I know it’s a small country but they could avoid this if they were prepared to get “flat” and start covering routes along rivers and canals instead of always trying to ensure there is a mountain or two somewhere in the walk. Of course I do understand that Ravens point is as flat as it gets – the exception that proves the rule (whatever that means).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was the same .. it started getting repetitive, and a little unimaginative in their selection of walks so stopped buying it. I also got a bit annoyed when I discovered that when paying for the sub via PayPal that it was automatically set up as a recurring subscription without (AFAIR) asking you first if this was what you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Trealach

I have paid up as well. I haven't received mag yet but believe it is on the way. It is a great magazine. They never go out of date. I hope that it doesn't go under. It would be better if we supported it because there is no alternative to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

Haven't seen WWI since last Christmas. Is it history ?

Advertisement