Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning a Lawn into Potatoes!

• 01-04-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have been doing work on a holiday house owned by my family recently. It has been suggested to me that I turn the overgrown back lawn (about 50 square metres) into a potato patch.

What steps would be involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Dig it all and take out all the tap root weeds (like docks) - don't try cutting them up and digging them back in. Then dig it again. You've a couple of weeks but the maincrop should be going in shortly.

Alternatively, you could just cover it with a layer of manure and polythene over that to starve everything below of light and leave it until next winter to dig. It'll be easier to dig then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

Thanks, how deep do I need to dig? Best way to dig it, use a rotovator?

fighterman wrote: »
    Thanks, how deep do I need to dig? Best way to dig it, use a rotovator?

Hand held rotavators that you hire (or at least ones I've hired) are only suitable for cultivated ground - they won't make an impression on fresh ground like you have. Tractor and a plow/rotavator would do the trick if you could arrange one. Otherwise you just have to dig 12-18 inches down with a spade, break up the sod and bury the green bits at the bottom. Then dig the whole lot again and break it up some more. Oh, and dig in some compost at this point too.

Potatoes are very forgiving, so you won't need to really work the soil with a fork into a nice fine tilth like you have to do with finer seed.

Gambas wrote: »
    Otherwise you just have to dig 12-18 inches down with a spade, break up the sod and bury the green bits at the bottom. Then dig the whole lot again and break it up some more. Oh, and dig in some compost at this point too.

Thanks, can you clarify a few points?

How do you mean 'bury the green bits at the bottom'?

And what gap in time should I leave between initial dig and second dig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

• Advertisement

Interesting! Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Spuds break up the ground themselves so they are often a good first crop in new ground. So you might get away with roughly digging the ground over. Then plant each spud about 6 inches deep. Save yourself some work and dig each hole with a bulb planter, chuck some compost and general fertiliser in the bottom, then the spud, and cover it over.

fighterman wrote: »
    Thanks, can you clarify a few points?

How do you mean 'bury the green bits at the bottom'?

And what gap in time should I leave between initial dig and second dig?

The way I tend to do it is to dig out the sod and then flip it over and put this upsidedown at the bottom of the trench/hole - about 12-18" down. Two reasons for that - firstly the greenery and dense roots near the surface will decompose at depth and provide nutrients for the potatoes and secondly it makes it much harder for the grass/weeds to regrow from that depth if upsidedown.

I've never used lazybeds - but have seen it done and working. If you aren't planning on turning the ground into a permanent veg garden, but just planning on using the ground this year, it is a good approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Gambas wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could just cover it with a layer of manure and polythene over that to starve everything below of light and leave it until next winter to dig. It'll be easier to dig then.
    You could do this and then plant through the plastic - either with a bulb planter as mentioned, or plant them and then cover and cut the plastic to allow the potato plant through.

Is the long term aim to have it as veg/ potato patch or a way of clearing the overgrown lawn?

Advertisement