Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data and coaxial all rooms in 3 Bed semi

Options
  • 01-04-2013 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a rough estimation to run the following in each room, at TV height up the wall.

Cat6 x 2
    Coaxial x 3
    Sockets x 1 double.

The house is your typical 3 bed semi D built in 1980
    Total number of rooms = 4 upstairs+ 3 downstairs = 7 rooms

All data and coaxial will be ran back to cabinet in utility room. Was thinking the required power socket could be ran from and existing socket in the rooms if I could position the TV close enough, but that may not be possible in some rooms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Leiva wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a rough estimation to run the following in each room, at TV height up the wall.

Cat6 x 2
    Coaxial x 3
    Sockets x 1 double.

The house is your typical 3 bed semi D built in 1980
    Total number of rooms = 4 upstairs+ 3 downstairs = 7 rooms

All data and coaxial will be ran back to cabinet in utility room. Was thinking the required power socket could be ran from and existing socket in the rooms if I could position the TV close enough, but that may not be possible in some rooms.
    I wired my own home for Cat6 and coaxial and a box of Cat6 costs about €95 (300m) while decent Coaxial costs about €50 (100m)

Depending on runs I would say 2 boxes of Cat6 and 6 rolls of Coaxial should be suffice.

You will then need Modules for Cat6 and face plates which cost about €4 per module and €2.50 for faceplates.

Coaxial double plates are about €3 and singles about €1.50 or you can just let the cables run through.

The running of cables is pretty unskilled work but terminating takes a bit of experience so not sure what labour will cost as a lot of electrician's have allergies to Cat6 for some reason.

Just an FYI I ran 1 coaxial and 4 Cat6 to each TV point in my house as Coaxial imo is really just for Saorview now I plan on running HD TV to the rooms via two Cat6 and then one Cat6 for Data and one spare Cat6 for anything else.

Everyone is getting HD TV's now and SKY HD or UPC with HD and then running it around the house on Coaxial which is a little crazy especially when you can easily run it in full HD over Cat6.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

Hi

Where did you buy your cable and plates / terminations?

Many thanks

From a local Electrical supplier but meteorelectrical.com sell them cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Villain wrote: »

Just an FYI I ran 1 coaxial and 4 Cat6 to each TV point in my house as Coaxial imo is really just for Saorview now I plan on running HD TV to the rooms via two Cat6 and then one Cat6 for Data and one spare Cat6 for anything else.

Everyone is getting HD TV's now and SKY HD or UPC with HD and then running it around the house on Coaxial which is a little crazy especially when you can easily run it in full HD over Cat6.

Thanks for the info.

Tell me more about running HDtv over cat6.

I was planning on running tripple tuner stb so was going to run x3 coax (2 for sat dish, 1 for aerial) and x2 cat6 (1 redundant) to each room/tv point.
    7 rooms in total so the number of cables quickly adds up.

The plan was to run all cables to the utility room where I will have a cabinet/rack.

I will hook all the cat6 into my network switch and all coax into an amplifier and then from there out to a Sat dish and antenna.

I'm welcome to all suggestions but.

I have used CAT6 to HDMI sender and receivers with two CAT6 in my existing location, just point to point but it works well.

However I have since found http://www.hdconnectivity.com/multiroom-hd/4x4-hdmi-matrix-hdbaset-hd-anywhere.html which actually only requires 1 CAT6 for HDTV IR and 100mb Network which is impressive but its not cheap. The idea is put all boxes in a central location e.g. two Sat boxes a DVD player and Media Center.

Then at each location you can select any of the 4 sources and control it all in full HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why are you running CAT6 and not CAT5 in a normal size domestic semi?

CAT5 can't carry HDTV very well, plus CAT6 is future proofing, you can get 10GBs over CAT6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

What's the cost difference between cat 5 & cat 6 or did you look in to it

hexosan wrote: »
    What's the cost difference between cat 5 & cat 6 or did you look in to it
    About €35 per box extra for CAT6, anyone using CAT5 for a home in this day and age is bit mad imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Yeah I've heard that mentioned a few times, is cat 7 over kill for a domestic house or is it cost prohibitive.

• Advertisement

CAT7 is rare to see and expensive and not really worth it.

CAT7 is rare to see and expensive and not really worth it.
    Wait till ya try CAT8. It'll blow you away.

Just buy what you think you need or will need in the future. I've seen more people tell me they have such and such a set up and then don't have Sky HD or a Blu-ray player. So they're all set for HD but no intention of ever using it.

Apologies for going off on a tangent there.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wait till ya try CAT8. It'll blow you away.

Just buy what you think you need or will need in the future. I've seen more people tell me they have such and such a set up and then don't have Sky HD or a Blu-ray player. So they're all set for HD but no intention of ever using it.

Apologies for going off on a tangent there.

True but I think most people in the future will have more use for CAT6 than coaxial or even CAT5, the cost difference isn't that much either.

True but I think most people in the future will have more use for CAT6 than coaxial or even CAT5, the cost difference isn't that much either.

I've two CAT6 and two coaxial into every room and also surround sound wired in every room myself. My only regret is not running two more CAT6 because I could run but both sky and PS3 without paying the premium attached to CAT6-HDMI balons which work with a single CAT6. Most require two.

Advertisement