Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Failure

• 01-04-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭

Okay I am preparing for the LC in june and my god I'm ****ed.
    I need like 525 for Law in Trinity and have no clue how to do well anymore :(
    Help anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Ok no offence but i see alot of people panicking on here right now , i think it may be as it is april now but you need to calm down.- failure is a bit extreme
    nobody here knows how well you are doing , How did you do in the mocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

How did your mocks go? Plenty of time,. just revamped my study plan still ages to fit everything in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Like 430 :/ I can't make a timetable cause I do so much outside if study it's so stressful :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

yournerd wrote: »
    Like 430 :/ I can't make a timetable cause I do so much outside if study it's so stressful :(

Okay if you are that concerned and stressed, maybe you could lighten the workload of extra-curricular activities? If they are taking up a lot of your time?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

went up from 315 in the mocks to 490 in the real thing... (even though I screwed up biology all together)
    Don't worry about your points too much... study as much as you can, try to do enough to do well in all of you subjects...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

anna.fun wrote: »
    went up from 315 in the mocks to 490 in the real thing... (even though I screwed up biology all together)
    Don't worry about your points too much... study as much as you can, try to do enough to do well in all of you subjects...

From what subjects? What grades changed and how did u change them?

From what subjects? What grades changed and how did u change them?

English (OL) C2 --> A2
    I moved to Ireland 12 months before I did the leaving cert and had to catch up on the almost everything my class had done in 5th year...our teacher was good, wouldn't have improved as much if it wasn't for all the essays she asked for, all the tests we sat...

HL:
    Maths failed --> B1
    couldn't answer 2 questions on paper 2 in the mock because we hadn't done them yet, started to do a lot of exam papers on my own after the mocks

History D1 --> A2
    as I only moved to Ireland about 6 months before I did the mocks, I wasn't that good in irish history in febuary when we had the mocks (ironically I was the one with the best mock in my class)... I used a revision book to memorise important facts, used mp3 files I listened to while walking home from school and focused on the case studies for the document-based question... the questions that came up at the day of the exam really suited me (a lot better than what would have come up in the mocks)

Business C3 --> B2
    memorise summaries, do exam papers, do ABQs (in case they are still on the course)

German A1

Biology B3 --> C3 (or something like that)
    short questíons were fine, but when it came to the long questions I started to panic and totally screwed up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Just repeat if you don't get the desired points or do something else.

Thanks alot guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Oh yournerd <3

ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS BELIEVE

NEVER GIVE UP

• Advertisement

anna.fun wrote: »
    English (OL) C2 --> A2
    I moved to Ireland 12 months before I did the leaving cert and had to catch up on the almost everything my class had done in 5th year...our teacher was good, wouldn't have improved as much if it wasn't for all the essays she asked for, all the tests we sat...

HL:
    Maths failed --> B1
    couldn't answer 2 questions on paper 2 in the mock because we hadn't done them yet, started to do a lot of exam papers on my own after the mocks

History D1 --> A2
    as I only moved to Ireland about 6 months before I did the mocks, I wasn't that good in irish history in febuary when we had the mocks (ironically I was the one with the best mock in my class)... I used a revision book to memorise important facts, used mp3 files I listened to while walking home from school and focused on the case studies for the document-based question... the questions that came up at the day of the exam really suited me (a lot better than what would have come up in the mocks)

Business C3 --> B2
    memorise summaries, do exam papers, do ABQs (in case they are still on the course)

German A1

Biology B3 --> C3 (or something like that)
    short questíons were fine, but when it came to the long questions I started to panic and totally screwed up...

Any advice on english and maths?

Maths: the week after easter I started to re-do almost every question we had done in class before, after this I memorised most of the proofs we were told to revised, started to do 1 exam paper per night 6 weeks before the exams... it's all about knowing how to do the questions

English: Ordinary Level (!)
    Comparative: prepared two answers each for theme and social setting (left out climax, tension because I didn't like it and thought it was a waste of time, if I prepared the two other categories properly)
    Poetry: left out the two poems I liked least completely, haven't done too much for this section as I always scored high in this section on tests and homework.
    single text: know this one well (including symbolism, themes, etc.), read the book again 6 weeks before the exams started, and started to do past exam papers and had a closer look on the notes our teacher gave to us
    paper 1: use "fancy" words if appropiate to the mode of writing. choose the type of essay you like best (I always hated to write speeches, so I chose a short story)

in general:
    weeks before the exam: don't worry, just try to get something done, the more you worry, the more you cry, the less you are going to get done; if it's a nice day, just go for a walk and take some audio "tapes" with you (for example the quotes you need for your single text on your mp3 player)...

day of the exam:
    don't drink coffee unless you are used to it, get enough sleep on the night before the exam, ... don't be scared, there isn't going to be anything on the exam, you haven't done in school at some point... take a deep breath and be confident that you have studied enough to secure the grade you were looking for... if you don't know the answer straight away, move on, go back to it later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Are you aware to be a solicitor here in ireland (the popularity of being a barrister has declined rapidly and even some are retraining as solicitors to find a job as you are self-employed and have to live for a few years on a barely any cases. Also there is talk of possibly ending the need for a barrister completely.) You can just do an arts degree or anything at all and then become a solicitor. You just need a college degree.

In fact your better doing whatever your interest is in college cause in 4 years when your training to be a solicitor you could realise its not for you but you have a law degree so your stuck with it.

If get Law great. But if you dont you can still be solicitor(btw a lot of the major law havent taken on any trainee solicitors in years but im sure it will be different in a few years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

hfallada wrote: »
    (btw a lot of the major law firms havent taken on any trainee solicitors in years but im sure it will be different in a few years)
    This has a lot to do with the extreme downturn in conveyancing work; it will take a while to turn round I suspect.

I don't want to do law because of the money? I want to do law because my life has been circulated and involved with law so much. I want to fight for people's and family's lawes and make sure nobody had to go through what I went through. Also I am fluent in english, irish, french and russian so hopefully i can use it to my advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

If you do anything in the coming months, make sure you fill out your CAO correctly, Assume you won't get your first, I've seen so many people waste years by not doing there CAO correctly, take some time and do it yourself, or if your parents have your best interests let them say what they think. In the end its always your decision and with over 1000+ hours of study at least 10 should nearly be spent on your CAO.

P.S I might partially know your feeling I had a friend that did similar, he was going for law in trinity and got it in UCD because he got 5 points less. I haven't seen him in years but I hope you get what you want but i'm sure its still as competitive without the addition of points in maths,

study is so hard :(
    Yeah I have law 1-10 and like 2 business courses cause i also run a business so kinda interested in that section.
    I spend about 2 weeks on my CAO and hopefully have done it correctly.
    5 points less? omg

Since I'm a big engineer nerd, I would defiantly say you need more options on your courses that are not law, but if your 100% Law go with it, if your 90% defiantly throw down a few randoms, 1 year is nothing when your young and there's no point in spending 8 years in law before you hate it. Ten to me seems excessive so think about your life in 10 years time and all the options and maybe it will become clear, or maybe we will have another honest lawyers to join the ranks!

I have been to court cases, i am involed in one currently. i really want it. I have law quotes on my walls and read history of cases. I want this.

yournerd wrote: »
    I have been to court cases, i am involed in one currently. i really want it. I have law quotes on my walls and read history of cases. I want this.

Well don't forget to mention this in any interviews as this is what will put you above the rest! Its a pity some high courses like law arent done in this fashion like medicine!

• Advertisement

HPAT? oh god.

well in some senses its done better than the law courses!

I well never know why it's so high. 525 like ****ing christ.

Advertisement